Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 07:37 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
NIKE has a very able compensation group. They 'broadband' compensation so it is like trying to nail an ameba in many ways. They do survey the compensation of 'benchmark' jobs, positions in accounting would be an example. Here is how compensation works: pay for entry level is the floor, pay for seasoned the top (outliers at both levels are ignored). Half way between is the control point. Below that increases as a % are higher, above that lower. USUALLY an experienced person with 4-6 years in the job is hired at about 20-30% of the range. It is hard for me to judge whether the pay for the job is based on a national or regional survey. You really should know the pay range for a person with your background, perhaps the Oregon Board could provide information.

As you know there are two types of accounting certifications, one higher paid than the other.

The 'quality' of the experience impacts pay as well. If you have worked for a major accounting firm and you have a lot of hands-on auditing experience in a related industry you may be worth more if the position involves auditing.

FWIW, years ago I worked in HR at NIKE and my DD is a CFO in the Silicon Valley.
I just had heard that Nike pays lower than industry standard because "they're Nike and they can." Which I suppose is possible. I would be willing to make $2-3k less at Nike because it's a fun place to work and prestigious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 10:15 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
It's not 'they're Nike and they can'. NIKE has many qualified applicants who are willing to accept what they offer. Compensation is always negotiable. I assure you that if you have a hard to find skill set they will pay more. I have seen a manager push the compensation manager for approval of higher pay when they really wanted a candidate.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:22 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
It's not 'they're Nike and they can'. NIKE has many qualified applicants who are willing to accept what they offer. Compensation is always negotiable. I assure you that if you have a hard to find skill set they will pay more. I have seen a manager push the compensation manager for approval of higher pay when they really wanted a candidate.
Might be time to start looking at secondary certifications.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:33 PM

The certs need to match their needs. Keep an eye on their recruiting website, print out requisitions that are in your field. See if they are asking for certs you do not have.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:05 PM

7 posts, read 9,907 times
If moving and working for Nike proves difficult, you many have to find a "New Balance".

Old 08-07-2018, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 795 times
Hi Chistiner81,
I came across your response to a post from a number of years ago about a relocation package with Nike. I saw you commented that your husband works in HR. I hope you don't mind me reaching out to you. As I'm sure you are aware, Nike is an envious company that many seek to even have a chance at an opportunity. I just started actively searching for a position there (my background is in Supply Chain and process improvement). I was wondering if your husband still works in HR at Nike and if so, would it be possible for you to connect us?

I'm not oblivious at how difficult the process of getting hired on at Nike, I'm just trying to do my part with networking and finding the right people to get my foot in the door.

Any help you or your husband can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Cody

Old 08-15-2018, 06:41 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,001 times
What is the work-life balance like?
What about in comparison to the tech startup culture in Silicon Valley, where they work you to death

Old 08-17-2018, 09:24 AM

Depending on your position, about the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland