Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 11:10 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times

Advertisements

I'm considering retiring in Portland in about 3 years so I've been looking around. Something struck me as I peruse the house photos on the realty pages. It seems like a lot of Portland area houses have very dark wall paint in the rooms. There's a lot of dark red, blue, and sometimes taupe colors on the walls. Can some people who live in Portland tell me why?

Here's my reaction, which is of course personal as are the paint colors I see in the houses. The Portland area has a lot of cloud cover in the winter months. Dark wall colors reduce the light indoors so I think if I lived there, I would want light colored walls to reflect the light and brighten the rooms. So why do so many in the area choose those dark, saturated wall colors for their indoor environment?

Thanks

(btw,
I don't mean to sound critical, I just want to understand why I'm seeing this so much when there also so many people who complain about the dreary weather.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 05:20 PM

48 posts, read 208,536 times
Just paint them a different color. There are many different people here with different taste.

Last edited by jt1033; 10-19-2007 at 05:49 PM..

Old 10-19-2007, 05:34 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,575 times
Maybe they're using traditional Craftsman colors or something? We painted our Victorian apt. in traditional Victorian period colors when I lived in SF--dark greens, etc. It was beautiful. White walls aren't really going to cure depression if you're prone to it!

Old 10-20-2007, 06:45 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,097 times
because bright white walls are boring and look like you live in an asylum
if the rooms are big enough, dark, solid colors can look very nice

Old 10-20-2007, 06:53 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
This is a trend in housing, for years walls have been painted one of the 22 different colors of white.
When paint first appeared commonly in America in the 1830's it was a powder and mixed with linseed oil. The colors were very bright and guady like todays.
It was a sign of wealth to have painted walls and the brighter the better...
We are turning into that cycle again.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:06 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
My favorite color is sage green, and I think that would be pretty and go along with cloudy skies.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:14 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,820 times
I had my home (in Portland) interior painted before I put it on the market. It was a near taupe color throughout (matte finish). All trim was done in a white semi gloss. It certainly did good things for the 1970's ranch. Builders (Pulte, Newmark, Standard Pacific and a few others) in San Antonio that I have looked at seem to be using the exact same colors. The colors are neutral enough that you can repaint rooms or single walls with minimal clashing. I had lived with flat white for years and had no idea what I was missing. Here in SA a lot of the pre owned homes have a red wall or two in dining rooms. Its struck me as odd, but its growing on me. Still looking for a home here.

Squidlo

Old 10-20-2007, 09:44 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,048,239 times
we just bought our first home this summer and have been having a blast painting!!! We have that awful dark wood paneling,(EVERY SINGLE ROOM IN THE HOUSE!!!) couldnt afford to sheetrock just yet, so we have been experimenting in paint. Our main walls in the living room/office are antique white, which looks super cute over the paneling! and one accent wall brick red. If you like bright, youd adore my kitchen!! i always wanted a super cheery kitchen, so i have 2 walls in Snapdragon Yellow, and 2 walls in Tangerine Orange!! Whoooo boy, cant say its not BRIGHT!!!! Wakes ya up in the mornings. lol My kids all got to pick their room colors, my boy has 2shades of blue, my oldest girl has irridecent lavender, and my youngest girl has light purple trimmed in the brightest pink. lol The bathroom was a sage green, then the other weekend I got bored, had a drink, now its moss green, trimmed in sash blue, and the door and celing are butter yellow. Im really gonna have to paint that room over again!! lol Heck with what is popular, Im all about whatever tugs me at the moment. Paint is cheap and fun.
tiffany

Old 10-21-2007, 01:50 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
sounds gorgeous, tiffela.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:18 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,048,239 times
Thanks Nancy! It's certainly US. kinda zany, not very traditional nor what everybody wants, but hey, thats why a person owns their own home, right? to do with it as they like?
I like friendly colors.
Tiffany
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: