Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 10:22 PM

3 posts, read 24,822 times

Advertisements

I am really interested in building a small shed-like structure in my backyard that can be stylish and cute (I've been looking at too many "outdoor rooms" lately and really want one of my own).

After drawing up some tentative plans and shopping around for salvage windows, I finally got to looking up the building requirements for Multnomah County. Now, I realize I should have started there, because it appears my plans may be impossible.

Based on my understanding of the rules, I won't need a permit if the structure is within the size limitations, doesn't have any electricity/plumbing, and I'm not in some specific zoning area. The problem I wasn't anticipating, however, is that these structures have to be placed at least 5 feet from the property line??? Is anyone able to confirm that, or let me know if there are any special requests to have that re-considered? I'm confused, because I often see sheds/greenhouses right up against the fence in peoples' yards, so I assumed I'd be able to do the same. Of course maybe their fences were 5 feet from their property lines?

This restriction makes my project impossible. My backyard is incredibly small, and 5 feet away from the back fence would place the thing in the dead center of the yard -- it would look ridiculous.

Thanks for any help/advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 10:30 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,298,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildeWhitman View Post
I am really interested in building a small shed-like structure in my backyard that can be stylish and cute (I've been looking at too many "outdoor rooms" lately and really want one of my own).

After drawing up some tentative plans and shopping around for salvage windows, I finally got to looking up the building requirements for Multnomah County. Now, I realize I should have started there, because it appears my plans may be impossible.

Based on my understanding of the rules, I won't need a permit if the structure is within the size limitations, doesn't have any electricity/plumbing, and I'm not in some specific zoning area. The problem I wasn't anticipating, however, is that these structures have to be placed at least 5 feet from the property line??? Is anyone able to confirm that, or let me know if there are any special requests to have that re-considered? I'm confused, because I often see sheds/greenhouses right up against the fence in peoples' yards, so I assumed I'd be able to do the same. Of course maybe their fences were 5 feet from their property lines?

This restriction makes my project impossible. My backyard is incredibly small, and 5 feet away from the back fence would place the thing in the dead center of the yard -- it would look ridiculous.

Thanks for any help/advice.
I know nothing about rules and regs, but while reading your post the word "wheels" kept popping in my head.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:46 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,292,638 times
It is best to consult the Multnomah County Land Use / Planning Dept (but if you're in city limits, call the planning dept in your city hall). They regulate the "setbacks" and will give you accurate answers.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:56 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
I bet you could find this information online if you googled Multnomah County and then choose property laws or something of that nature. I wouldn't trust that kind of information to be obtain from a general website such as CD. Although people here are very knowledgable, you really need to know the specific law that would pertain you your specific situation before you begin building something.

Suffice it to say there are city ordinances and you don't want to build something only to have to tear it down and be fined in the process.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:16 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,554,439 times
Multnomah County only regulates structures in unincorporated areas. If the OP is in a city that is where s/he must look. I have been looking at the Multnomah County Planning website for other reasons and find that although they list their counter hours they do not tell you where the counter is located. Years ago they were in Gresham but darn if I can determine if they are still there.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:29 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,326,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildeWhitman View Post
... ... I finally got to looking up the building requirements for Multnomah County. Now, I realize I should have started there, because it appears my plans may be impossible. ... ...
If you checked the regs and that is what it says, (and it does, I checked), than what is it you expect us to tell you in the forum?

You will have a setback of at least 5 feet no matter where you are. As you said it may not be doable.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:46 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,449,584 times
I had a shed in the backyard of my house that measured 10x12 feet for twenty years before I tore it down last year.
It sat in a non obvious corner of my back yard right up against the fence for all that time.
I built it on skids so I could move it if I needed to, but nobody ever said a word about it...

Just sayin'.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:31 PM

892 posts, read 1,592,249 times
I'm not certain of Multnomah County but that's the rule for the City of Portland. I had thought it would be a huge imposition, but its not really that much. It allows me to walk around the building and store some random wood bits behind the shed.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:12 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,554,439 times
Some shelters do not need permits.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:29 AM

892 posts, read 1,592,249 times
It's not a question of permits. If it's below a certain size and doesn't have utilities, permits aren't needed. You still have to maintain your setbacks though. If you don't, you could get fined or asked to move it.

Does the city or county wander around looking for sheds without the proper setbacks? Not really. But, if a neighbor complains because your shed blocks the only sun they get for their vegetable garden, then you could be in trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland