U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-21-2007, 04:36 PM

9 posts, read 31,733 times

Advertisements

I'm in Miami and the humidity is really bad. Portland seems like a cool place, I'm thinking about relocating from Miami. Is Portland a humid place? I'm not exactly an expert on weather but I assumed that humidity is a lot less on the west coast than it is on the east coast but I don't know if this is true or not.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 04:41 PM

2,096 posts, read 5,984,521 times
we do have humidity, but not the temps you have there. It can get humid here, (well, DOES i should say) but from what Ive heard, its nothing like what you must be used to. One of my co-workers spends a couple weeks each year in Florida, and the first day or so, shes braggin about the weather, within about 2 days though, she is calling, counting the hours til she comes back. I hear the humidity there is so bad you can be dripping wet just walking to your mailbox..that just walking to your car from front door to curb, glasses get fogged up ....is it really that bad?!?!?

Old 10-21-2007, 05:32 PM

7,862 posts, read 12,666,407 times
I think that anywhere almost East of the Rockies has humid summers. Not sure why this is, though.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:27 PM

845 posts, read 1,838,799 times
I moved here last year from WPB and while it is humid, it is not sticky. It only seems to be humid here when it is cool outside but it doesnt seems as suffocating as Fl. When it is warm and sunny the humidity is usually really low and it feels comfortable. In a year here, I have never walked outside and immediatly started sweating like I do in Fl.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:01 PM

48 posts, read 136,515 times
I have found the humidity here feels different. In Georgia/Florida I felt like I could barely breath and I was sweating right out of the shower. It is definitely moist here, moss and mold is everywhere but it's much more tolerable as it's a colder environment.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:30 PM

2,096 posts, read 5,984,521 times
definatly its the mold ya gotta look out for!! Especially along the coast line!! We fought it the whole time we were living right on the bay, but then again, it was an OLD house, sealed, no air flow, w/big gaps where the windows had settled down. We compounded the problem by being ignorant and putting our furniture/dressers/etc. flush against the wall. Big no-no.
The worst prob. Ive had personally w/humidity, is it makes those cute little window stickers peel right back off. sigh. But hey, I can live with that! lol
Tiffany

Old 10-22-2007, 11:10 AM

2,885 posts, read 230,025 times
The lack of humidity in summer is what most attracts me to Portland but of course there are many other things. As someone put it to me: "When the sun goes up the humidity goes down." Summer days are glorious.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:39 AM

3,517 posts, read 8,783,614 times
As for why it is so sticky in summer east of the Rockies - the high humidity comes from the Gulf of Mexico and on the east coast the Atlantic. They call it a Bermuda high that picks up moisture from the warm shallow waters around Bermuda and pumps it to the east coast and dew points rise into the 70's. Add that to warm temps into 80's and 90's and it gets sticky.

From the data, Portland's dew points seem to stay in the 50's in the summer so even with temps in the 80's it is considerably drier.

I think it could feel pretty cold and clammy there in the winter tho.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:31 AM

1 posts, read 11,695 times
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Hey Folks,[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Weather has not been great the past two years here in Portland, Oregon…summer 2011 started after July 4th (had rain till then) was beautiful until late September when the rains have started once again….No one really could grow a garden this year and most people are just grumpy at the moment, likely from the lack of Vitamin D – myself include. This has been the second year we have had a very short summer, so if you seriously thinking about moving here…I hope you like the rain and gray skies….you will not see the sunshine for weeks at time…on a personal note: I am thinking of moving Northern California …..how is Sacramento? Anyone know the good and bad of the city?[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Thanks in advance![/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 10-13-2011, 03:55 AM

78 posts, read 85,967 times
As far as numbers/statistics go, I'm not sure but I, coming from Florida myself, do feel it's humid here unlike dry California and Nevada where there are deserts. The reasons that humidity is very noticeable in Florida are:

1) Swamp lands >> moisture build up
2) Small (land size) state
3) No mountains and deserts >> no place for the moisture to be dissipate
4) 3/4 of the its border is surrounded by ocean >> moisture build up from ocean air
5) Heat being close to the equator >> gives you the sensation of a wall of hot air when you leave an AC cooled building/house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland