Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 11:32 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,309,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
I concur with Minervah. You already have somewhat of a network out here, which is MUCH more than many newcomers have. You have a leg up.

If it's the Golden Valley Brewery in Beaverton, that's a new place--I think it opened within the past year or so. It's nice--I wouldn't call it "fine dining" but I would imagine they do a brisk business there. And their beer is great. There's another one in McMinnville which is about 35 miles south and considered outside of the Portland Metro area (in the wine country).
I don't know anything about breweries but I have heard of this one. The new one is in Beaverton. I understand it's doing a great business. It would be a really fantastic opportunity to get a job there. Not only because it would be like falling into a little gold mine but it would look stellar on a resume let's say a year or so down the line.

It would be a stoke of sheer luck to be able to fall into something like that right off the bat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 03:05 AM

53 posts, read 105,611 times
Minervah, jjpop... thank you. Good to hear that others have heard of the place and that it has a good reputation. I trust my friends but we all wear rose-colored glasses sometimes, so one wouldn't want to stake's one's wellbeing on another's potentially misleading although well-meaning intentions. Well, in that case, I suppose it would just come down to the visit I must obviously plan before the potential move.

What about living in Beaverton? My friend lives in Sellwood and likes it but says she'd prefer something more 'close-in' (a local expression I am quickly learning). So initially I was looking at inner locales but is Beaverton cool? I must admit, I'm not a hipster per-se but I skirt the perimeter of being so and seem to get along best with like-minded people. Here in the New of England, there seem to be none of the sort, alas. And I miss them. I miss my hipsters! Not the pretentious ones, but the cool, self-assured, laid back, artistic, intelligent (and I WON'T say intellectual, if you know what I mean), world-weary, open-minded, witty and honest people I once spent my time with at coffee shops and house parties and bars and local folksy-music shows. Oh, my.

Where are those people in Portland? Are they everywhere?

Old 03-10-2013, 03:31 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,087,328 times
They're kind of everywhere, but probably more concentrated on the East Side. Like the Hawthorne or Alberta Arts districts.

Beaverton is pretty suburban. If you're looking for more like-minded people, I'd go for the East side. But, if you're commuting to Beaverton ... it'd be a more difficult commute than to just live in that area.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:07 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,456,202 times
You want to live in a school enrollment area where your son could be happy, stay there until he finishes high school.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:55 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,601,911 times
I think you'll find like-minded hipster-ish people even in suburban Beaverton, at least in greater numbers than you're finding now. And in my opinion the schools are very laid back--possibly somewhere in between the poor school your son experienced in Florida and his current school.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:22 PM

Nell, could you elaborate? Are the schools that bad? By my research, the best two high schools are on the west side, with the two in the SE coming in 3rd and 4th.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:23 PM

His father recommended Grant High School, but the stats didn't look as good...

Old 03-10-2013, 10:51 PM

That is because Grant is a huge school, diverse socially and economically. Lincoln (where I & my kids attended) is relatively small, has an International Studies program, and parents who are anal retentive. One historic problem at Lincoln is that the students form cliques. In the PPS Grant, Lincoln, Wilson and even Cleavland (which also has an IS program) do a good job. Don't overlook Benson which positions itself as a technical school actually sends a huge % of its students to selective colleges.

I don't know the school districts west of me but I know of no issues.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:31 AM

Oh, I think I misread your first post. I took the pre-comma portion as more of a question, and post-comma as a suggestion to stay here in CT. Now I realize you were advising me to move to the best district I could find and stay there. Aha!

Is Benson public or do students have to apply?

Thanks for the info!

Old 03-11-2013, 10:36 AM

It is a Portland public school but students must apply and have a good academic record. They do not tolerate goof-offs. Benson Polytechnic High School It is located not far from the Lloyd Center, Lloyd Center MAX stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland