Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2013, 12:00 PM

9 posts, read 9,783 times

Advertisements

Next week I am driving up to Portland area to begin to get a feel for neighborhoods/areas where I could buy a home. As I am partially disabled and retired, I do not need to worry as much about commute times or schools.
I am looking for a home max 300k for a 3/2. Ideally, I would want my home to be away from a freeway, and walking distance to a park for me and my dog. a food co-op/organic shopping/farmers markets somewhat nearby would be a big plus! and because most of the time I live alone, a fairly safe area is vital too.
If it is possible to find such an area, within my finances, any suggestions/ideas would be most welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 02:57 PM

89 posts, read 225,000 times
Hello Ktdid,,
If you want a place for your dog and a short distance to a county park ,,then here is one that will be up for sale at the end of April for under your amount you want to spend ..

http://www.city-data.com/forum/class...ose-beach.html

Old 03-12-2013, 04:01 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,103,836 times
If the suburbs of Portland interest you, I'd suggest that you try the Milwaukie ara. Clackamas county has the best bargains in the area. Downtown Milwaukie has a farmers market on the weekends, and you're not too farm from actual farm stands out in the more rural areas of the county. There are also a large areas of mid-century ranch-style houses, meaning single story. Which is always a great consideration for retirees (being one myself).

Old 03-12-2013, 04:03 PM

2,514 posts, read 5,005,406 times
Here are the co-op options:

Welcome to People's Coop — People's Coop in Southeast Portland
Alberta Co-op Grocery – Portland, OR in Northeast Portland
Food Front Cooperative Grocery in Northwest and Southwest Portland

other places for organic groceries:

New Seasons Market - Find a Store
http://www.zupans.com/locations/
Select a Store | Whole Foods Market
Trader Joe's
http://www.marketofchoice.com/about-...oice/locations - a Eugene-based chain with a store in SW Portland
http://fredmeyer.com is a "regular" grocer but every store has a healthy/organic section

Farmer's markets:

Portland Metro-area Farmer's Markets — Oregon Environmental Council

Others here know how to find real estate listings in your price range. Almost all of Portland is pretty safe. Google-map the places listed above and use Street View to have a look around.

Last edited by Rob Allen; 03-12-2013 at 04:17 PM..

Old 03-12-2013, 08:45 PM

9 posts, read 9,783 times
TY Rob Allen and Enrico V for responding! It is good to know there are Co-Ops and organic groceries to go to. Me and my son were also in Milwaulkie (where the comic stores are?!?) and the info you gave is definitely helpful! Hoping others chime in with neighborhood ideas too ;- )

Old 04-05-2013, 03:27 PM

11 posts, read 20,287 times
Alberta and Hawthorne are nice "organic" neighborhoods. Hawthorne is a little more house spendy then Alberta, but you should still find nice options in both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland