Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 06:21 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,911,959 times

Advertisements

i've never seen these anywhere else. toured a potential rental house today that has these heaters in the wall. anyone have experience with these? it kinda looks like a burn hazard to me since they are low enough for a kid to touch...unless they aren't hot on the surface. This house was built in the late 70's or early 80's I think.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 07:57 PM

5,457 posts, read 8,171,711 times
It looks like an electric wall heater with a fan. Probably the most popular brand is Cadet: Electric Wall Heaters - Zonal Energy Efficient Electric Fan Heaters

If they are functioning properly and kept clean there should be no burn hazard.

They, and electric convection wall heaters, are a cheap way for builders to provide heat. All you do is run romex cable from the circuit breaker box to the heater. Often these builders also skimped on insulation and windows to save money so the electric bill for heating can be quite high.

The ones with fans often make a high pitched, irritating noise when they get older.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:02 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,410 times
We have these in our apartment and they work well for us because we really only need to heat the front room/dining area in the morning and again when we get home in the evening. Those rare very cold nights we might use on in a bedroom, but only a handful of times. Again, it is an apartment with only one side exposed to the outside. I'm sure a single family home would be a VERY different situation.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:13 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,435,602 times
I've lived in places with those before, they seem to work marginally better then baseboard heaters. Electrical cost is about the same.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:41 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
If it has a fan, it probably would work a bit better than the electric baseboard heaters. With those, unless you have a ceiling fan to draw the heat up, it just sits there costing you more in your electric bill.

This in the wall heater looks like it's in a sensible place. I've seen them higher up on the wall and that doesn't make much sense since heat rises so it seems to me that the lower the unit the better chance it will have to spread the heat along the wall. Any higher and you would just be heating your ceiling.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:17 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,708,863 times
Those are pretty common in apartments and rental units. They are safe, long as you keep flammable material away from them and with a dash of common sense.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:41 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Maybe you could supervise your child and possibly teach him to not touch the heaters.

You can't put anything flamable really close to them.,

Old 03-17-2013, 05:38 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
You don't want to put anything flammable in front of these but maybe a small table sort of like one in the picture that will clear the vent on one side and another on the other side. Then put something heavy on them so they cannot be moved. I don't think they get all that hot but just to be on the safe side.

I wonder if the fire department in the area would have some suggestions for you. I bet they deal with things like this all the time.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:54 PM

5,457 posts, read 8,171,711 times
From Cadet Web site:
Technical Information:
Fan heaters and thermostats work best when installed on an inside wall.
UL requires heater to be placed a minimum distance of 6” from adjacent
surfaces and 4½” from the floor. Manufacturer recommends installation
12” from all surfaces. All models 1500 watts or less may be ceiling mounted.
A 3’ minimum clearance is required for furniture or other objects placed
directly in front of heater.
NOTE:Manufacturer recommends installing heater assembly after walls
are finished. Heater must be cleaned every six months minimum.

http://www.cadetco.com/support/specsheet/1002.pdf

Old 03-19-2013, 12:54 AM

158 posts, read 376,147 times
My 1br apartment has four of these. The electric bill (all electric) has been less than $100 a month for the past three months (I also have two PCs on most of the time). The heaters are too noisy for my liking, however. You can't have a normal conversation when they are running. Fortunately this winter has been mild and they don't run all that much. The air temp that comes out of the heaters is only a little above room temperature - not hot at all. I wouldn't put expensive furniture in the air flow path though as it is dry air and might damage some furniture but I would say that it is pretty safe technology as long as you don't block the airflow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: