Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 03:56 PM

2 posts, read 4,860 times

Advertisements

I don't think you can go wrong with either school. Catlin's not religiously affiliated which might be a factor for some. Catlin's science and engineering program has progressed by leaps and bounds from the time years ago when it was known primarily for it's liberal arts. Now I'd say Catlin and OES are more equal, Catlin leaning more towards engineering (though their top ranked robotics program) and computer science and OES more towards science.

Catlin does tend to be more liberal and less buttoned down. It really feels more like a college campus than a high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 04:49 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprash25 View Post
My kid has been offered admission to both OES and Catlin Gabel for primary (1st Grade). We visited both schools, and liked them both. We liked the inquiry based learning, and focus on creativity at Catlin, while we loved the emphasis on Science and academics at OES. We hope to pick a school and stick with it all the way to end of high.

Are there any parents on here from either schools who would be willing to talk? We need to reach a decision soon. If so, please send me a private message.

Thanks!

P.S: I hope this thread does not turn into a public/private debate.

I hope it does.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:52 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,907,848 times
I know one family that sends a child to Caitlin Gabel and so far... so good. Honestly, the common practice among many families here in the inner NE us to send kids to public schools with foundations and then consider St. Mary's and Central Catholic. I have met several parents in my neighborhood who went to Caitlin Gabel and loved the school though that was many years ago. Portland parents are a very involved group of people, in general, and the culture here is a big reason that kids thrive, IMO. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:23 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
I think either would be a great place for your child. Now look at how each school fits with your life. How do you take your child to school? How about after school activities. Think about traffic around the school. If you work at St. V's you can walk your child to Catlin.

There are lots of great schools, choose the one that works best for you.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:18 PM

682 posts, read 1,579,077 times
We went through a similar adventure this past year for kindergarten. It is a difficult decision because a lot of the evidence you gather is subjective or anecdotal (like what you read in here at times!). We ended up choosing West Hills Christian.

The best piece of advice I got is that there is less harm done if you end up choosing a school that is a wrong fit for your child now, as opposed to middle school or high school where there is more risk of uprooting social networks and it becomes more difficult to get back on track before college.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 08-05-2014, 08:13 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
Admission to OES's high school is competitive. Just because you attended K-8 does not mean you will be admitted. Catlin's HS admission is much 'softer'.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Admission to OES's high school is competitive. Just because you attended K-8 does not mean you will be admitted. Catlin's HS admission is much 'softer'.
Yes, except in extreme under performing cases, if your student at Catlin for MS, they are eligible to go to Catlin Upper School.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:45 PM

599 posts, read 1,652,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cactus Leaguer View Post
We went through a similar adventure this past year for kindergarten. It is a difficult decision because a lot of the evidence you gather is subjective or anecdotal (like what you read in here at times!). We ended up choosing West Hills Christian.

The best piece of advice I got is that there is less harm done if you end up choosing a school that is a wrong fit for your child now, as opposed to middle school or high school where there is more risk of uprooting social networks and it becomes more difficult to get back on track before college.

Good luck with your decision!

How do you like West Hills?

Old 08-17-2014, 11:35 PM

682 posts, read 1,579,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
How do you like West Hills?
I sent you a PM. So far, so good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland