Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2013, 08:23 AM

3 posts, read 3,758 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm going to be an intern at OHSU. I'm currently living in the midwest. I'm looking for a central place to stay for OHSU/VA/ St. Vincent/ Kaiser Sunnyside/ Good Samaritan/ Emmanuel, with the average weighted towards OHSU. Any suggestions for neighborhoods? ideas on what to expect for rent? How efficient is the highway system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 09:32 AM

10,987 posts, read 20,464,031 times
One poster on this board works at OHSU. His comments are more important than mine.

Kaiser Sunnyside is the only one on your list that isn't in the core area. The most difficult of those on your list to access by car is OHSU.. not really car access, car PARKING.

First let me introduce you to a local term: Pill Hill. That term encompasses OHSU, the VA Hospital and other medical facilities located in a cluster on a hill, a hill that in many areas of the US would be called a mountain. In fact the area is so compressed some clinics and offices have been constructed below the hospital in the South Waterfront and connected by a tram.

There are apartments in walking distance to OHSU. I suggest you explore that first, in the residential area you may need to make do with street parking. You can easily drive to the other facilities. South Waterfront would be another area to consider but be sure to include parking in any price quote.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:10 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,330,588 times
Weighting it toward OHSU/VA, I'd recommend the Hillsdale/Multnomah Village area. Easy access to bus service to OHSU, 15 to 20 minutes by car to Good Sam and St Vincent's where parking is available. Emmanuel will be maybe 20-25 minutes by car, depending on traffic.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:30 PM

Thanks. I appreciate the quick response.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:46 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,903,028 times
I work at OHSU. We call it "the hill," never heard it called pill hill except on here. quite a few students live in apartments near me (oleson and beaverton hillsdale hwy), the 61 express goes from there to OHSU at peak travel times (only) on weekdays. there are also apartments on the hill and in hillsdale. Look at the bus routes on Trimet's website. The 61, 64, 65, 66, 68 are all express buses that serve the hill; the 8 is the only one that runs frequently and outside of peak times. For my bus, I can catch it from 6:30-8am; if i want to get to work after that i have to make transfers and take the tram up - which can be a pain if you don't work "typical" hours. Do you want to rent a room or an apartment all to yourself? Do you plan on having a car?

Old 03-24-2013, 03:33 PM

Either an apt or a room is acceptable, as long as I have a bathroom to myself. I don't plan on spending much time beyond sleeping at my place.

I plan on having a car. How feasible/reliable is the mass transit? In my experience the residents have to be at the hospital at least by 5.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:40 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,330,588 times
This may be helpful to you.

OHSU - Parking: General Information

Old 03-24-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brygl View Post
Either an apt or a room is acceptable, as long as I have a bathroom to myself. I don't plan on spending much time beyond sleeping at my place.

I plan on having a car. How feasible/reliable is the mass transit? In my experience the residents have to be at the hospital at least by 5.
you should be able to find a roommate situation on/near the hill easily and I'm pretty sure there is an online site where all the med people advertise for that. The mass transit to the hill is reliable in my experience. I am on the research side of things so I don't know how the clinical schedules are run. If you need to be there by 5am (am i reading that right?) your options will be extremely limited because there is no transportation to the hill that early in the morning. as a one year intern the only parking option you will have is paying for a metered spot at the waterfront. or parking a bike

Old 03-26-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
you should be able to find a roommate situation on/near the hill easily and I'm pretty sure there is an online site where all the med people advertise for that. The mass transit to the hill is reliable in my experience. I am on the research side of things so I don't know how the clinical schedules are run. If you need to be there by 5am (am i reading that right?) your options will be extremely limited because there is no transportation to the hill that early in the morning. as a one year intern the only parking option you will have is paying for a metered spot at the waterfront. or parking a bike
i saw this addres posted in a hallway bulletin board this morning. there is not a lot listed now but it's still pretty early. www.ohsu.edu/housing

Old 03-26-2013, 10:09 AM

378 posts, read 971,468 times
I live on the south end of downtown near PSU and right on the streetcar line. There a bunch of ppl from OHSU that live in my building. In the morning it's a 10-15 minute streetcar ride to the aerial tram. No parking or driving needed. Looking into a downtown apt might be a few hundred more a month but not driving or paying for parking might make up the difference. Not to mention downtown has quite a bit more nightlife and things to do within a convenient walk than some of the neighborhoods being mentioned. Growing up in the midwest myself (Detroit area) it was quite a shock to see public transit so well utilized and walking/biking culture so prevalent. Welcome to Oregon.

Oops- didn't see the 5am requirement, well... still look into downtown!

Last edited by danwilsonbsee; 03-26-2013 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: I should learn to read the whole thread before responding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland