Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2013, 12:26 AM

20 posts, read 30,953 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My car recently broke down last week and I am looking for a good road bike to get me between my house and the nearest bus line (about 6 miles), on the bus, and a short ride to my place of employment (.25 miles from the bus stop).

The ride to the bus line is pretty easy and straightforward. The ride back is pretty simple as well, until I hit the hills which come into my neighborhood. Ideally, I am hoping to find something that is light, easy to ride, and fits me well.

I'm a 6' 2" 180lbs guy, thin build, and amateur rider. I used to ride all the time as a kid, but not so much anymore.

Anyway,

Kinda unsure as to what I should be looking for. I'm not really loaded in the bank right now and am looking to spend roughly around $300 on a used bike that I can find on craigslist. If any of you can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated! Funny how this happened, because I actually have been procrastinating on getting back into the swing of things, fitness-wise.

Any help is appreciated!

Came across these already, thoughts?

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/bik/3717826290.html
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/3769905464.html
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/bik/3771110740.html

Jon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 09:05 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,433,687 times
The Bike Portland Forums is a much better place to ask this question.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:00 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,652,250 times
For right around 300 you should get a decent new bike from a local shop. Some have used bikes. I bike commuted for awhile but never including the bus. Best bike (for me) is a Dual Purpose bike. Use high pressure tires & tubes. Most have a front shock system and they take abuse better than a fancy road bike. I used saddle bags on mine and shopped with it too. I rode GT and Specialized bikes. I am not a bike head but those held up well.

Something like http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/bik/3767830803.html

Last edited by Squidlo; 04-28-2013 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: added example

Old 04-28-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
The Bike Portland Forums is a much better place to ask this question.
Thanks for the pointer, I will head over there and post the q as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
For right around 300 you should get a decent new bike from a local shop. Some have used bikes. I bike commuted for awhile but never including the bus. Best bike (for me) is a Dual Purpose bike. Use high pressure tires & tubes. Most have a front shock system and they take abuse better than a fancy road bike. I used saddle bags on mine and shopped with it too. I rode GT and Specialized bikes. I am not a bike head but those held up well.

Something like Specialized Crossroads Sport - 21 Speed, 700c tires
Thanks! I'll be riding on pretty flat and freshly paved paths so I'm not really needing the front shock system I think at least, but I'll definitely look into that.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:57 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,923,967 times
The o.p. said he was 6'2". He listed three bikes, two are visible, a third has been removed by the seller. Both visible bikes are ludicrously small for a rider over 6'. The 18" bike posted by another reader is also way too small. I've bought a lot of things from Craig's but never a bicycle. I also believe that the used bicycle market in Portland is like nowhere else in the country. It's probably due to the huge amount of interest in riding and the perception that new bikes are so expensive but... those bikes... the one's that have been listed so far... none of them should cost more than ~$100. Take the money and fix the car... ... yes... that's me saying that... can you believe it. I know that this is the right advice because the o.p. didn't plan to actually ride the bike to work. Portland buses carry two bikes max and chances are good that the first bus (and maybe the next) won't have room. The only practical bike for the o.p.'s scenario is a folding bicycle. S/he won't be happy with a $300 folder. Mine costs ~500 plus and is quite adequate. That's right, adequate, quite. There is better. Lot's better. I don't really need a folder now, I did when I lived in NYC but not anymore. Still, when I rent a car I can ride over to the rental office if they can't come pick me up. Or if I don't want them to because, I hate the waste of fuel that that entails, I ride my folder over there and bring it back in the trunk. It takes quite awhile to work up to the level of comfort and fitness, etc. that vehicular cyclists as hardcore as me and my SO have achieved. One bike doesn't even begin to be a replacement for a car. There are forums that are national (international) in scope that IMO are required reading for someone in the o.p.'s situation. I took a quick look at the local forum listed. It's probably a good site but I didn't see any specific commuting forum or a living car free forum... bikeforums.com has both. Roadcycling.com has informative sub-forums as well.

H

Old 04-29-2013, 09:02 PM

Let me explain it another way. A "hybrid" bike will usually cost less than a "road bike". They are durable and take abuse pretty well. I have survived a few minor crashes on a hybrid style bike while on a road bike killing it for a day or 2 in a similar mishap. Thorn strips help cut down on the flats you will get. Again this is your work transportation. Your back up is your 2 feet.

As the previous poster stated get a bike with a frame that fits you.

I rode Peugeot and GT ( light and fast) road bikes and loved them but they were recreational rides.

I want a tough bike when I am getting to work.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:35 AM

Thanks all for the help!

I ended up picking up a Fuji Royale 12 speed.

I am in love!

Old 05-07-2013, 06:08 PM

Fuji was a respectable bike when I was a young guy. Keep us posted on how the commute goes. I have always been intrigued by the bike/bus/bike commute. The one thing I really missed out on. (ok a decent skate board would have been nice) In my peak biking years getting bike on a bus was a pipe dream.

Now I am old fat and republican. I'm going to ride a bike now and then. Just not to work.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
Fuji was a respectable bike when I was a young guy. Keep us posted on how the commute goes. I have always been intrigued by the bike/bus/bike commute. The one thing I really missed out on. (ok a decent skate board would have been nice) In my peak biking years getting bike on a bus was a pipe dream.

Now I am old fat and republican. I'm going to ride a bike now and then. Just not to work.
Its been going pretty well so far! I commute about 11 miles a day roundtrip to the bus stop and then take that into downtown and ride only a few blocks from there to work.

Got a nice tune-up done on the bike with new derailleurs, new chain, brake lines, and gear levers. Also found a good deal on lights and a helmet as well. Bike already has a rack on it and two water-bottle holders.

Rides real smooth and I am just hoping that I can one day conquer my giant hill coming home to my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland