Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 01:55 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
This means a lot of people here view animals as our little brothers and sisters, not meat products.
Small towns and the countryside are the opposite. Sadistic, cold-blooded killers (who call themselves "hunters" or worse yet "sportsmen" - fat men who can't run 100 yards) are the norm in those places. Not the type of places you want to be.
Sorry, I have to comment on this..........

What a warped nonsensical unrealistic perception.
It's so easy just to laugh and laugh at that statement, it's so full of whatever.

Good luck when your little idealogical fantasy bubble bursts and you float back down to the real world......

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 05-03-2013 at 02:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 03:53 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,858,594 times
I am all for PETA
"People for the Eating of Tasty Animals."

mmmmmmm - venison!!!

Old 05-12-2013, 08:22 PM

686 posts, read 1,767,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
Hello Maria,
I think that Seattle and Portland should be on the top of your list. Both are large, progressive cities.
This means a lot of people here view animals as our little brothers and sisters, not meat products.
Small towns and the countryside are the opposite. Sadistic, cold-blooded killers (who call themselves "hunters" or worse yet "sportsmen" - fat men who can't run 100 yards) are the norm in those places. Not the type of places you want to be.
I am sorry. I don't know how being in large progressive cities makes "a lot of people" treat animals as little brothers and sisters.

Also, how are sadistic, cold-blooded killers the norm in small towns and the countryside. Please name these small towns so I can stay away from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
Both Seattle and PDX have their pros and cons for you. Seattle is larger (=more opportunities), but also more expensive. Rents are cheaper in PDX, but finding work or training may be harder.
I think you should look for work and school opportunities before you come. Since you live in SF bay area, you can pop-in for a weekend or two if you need. Then decide where to move.
Climate-wise, both Seattle and PDX are very similar, but I'd give a slight edge to PDX. It rains a little less, and it has a bit more sunshine than Seattle. In both cases, no need to worry about heat+humidity.
We can count on fingers of one hand the number of days when the temperatures are above the comfort zone (and again, it's a dry heat)
The biggest worry is the rain and darkness that persist much of the year. If you can deal with them you are fine.
I agree with this assessment, except I had say cloudy instead of darkness.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:29 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
Animals are meat. Where did you think meat came from? And that "Fat man" comment I take personal. Vegans never consider that plants have feelings too. Some were meant to be eaten, and others were meant to eat.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:48 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,166 times
Sadistic, cold-blooded killers

Old 05-13-2013, 06:52 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Animals are meat. Where did you think meat came from? And that "Fat man" comment I take personal. Vegans never consider that plants have feelings too. Some were meant to be eaten, and others were meant to eat.
To be sure. People are meat. To a hungry lion, Steve would be a nice juicy steak.

I don't get the brothers and sisters thing either. I live in Portland. I have two sisters. They don't live in Portland. Does that mean I can eat them?

And what about the cat killer vegan who was mentioned in an earlier post? You know, the one who the person posting told us she met in the supermarket who was trying to kill her cats by forcing the cats, obligate carnivores,to be vegans. What about those cat killer-vegans killing their little furry brothers and sisters? Do they get a pass on killing just because they are vegans?

Old 05-13-2013, 08:11 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
Hey now ..... More likely they would look at me as a Pork Chop. Watch out for those Cold Blooded Vegans Kady Lady warned us about. Although it was all put here for our sustanance. Leave me on a mountain top with a couple a dozen soccer players and I can tell you I will eat well.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:53 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
I can only talk about Portland but this would be my suggestion. I think from what people tell me from their experience, we have some really good vet tech schools including our community college. If you are interested in moving to Oregon, I think Portland would be your best bet for this type of education.

You could contact PCC and the other schools both here and in Vancouver WA to see what they have to offer. If anything leaps out at you, inquire about work and housing information. They may be able to offer you some good advice in those areas. Once here, you can begin to explore other areas if you decide you don't want to live in an urban environment but keep in mind that Portland is near all kinds of natural areas like hiking trails, and skiing and lakes and so forth so you can have it all if you want.

As far as the weather that's a very subjective thing. For example, recently it was in the 80's. For most, it was ideal, for me, too hot. Anything above 70 and I melt. But I love cold weather. Most people here don't mind rain. But when the sun shines they cheer. So when someone says Oh it doesn't get hot or it doesn't get cold or it's not damp or it's not dry they are telling it from their degree of tolerance so the very best thing to do is to come out to here or wherever you are contemplating a move and just see for yourself.

If possible, come visit during a season you least like where you are living now and see if you like it any better you want to be.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:19 PM

41 posts, read 76,787 times
While this is off subject of my original post I felt I needed to comment..lol

When it comes to food (meat), I don't judge people on how they should or shouldn't eat. I belive it's everyone's choice on how they fuel themselves.

I personally eat more of a plant based diet including some organic free range/wild fish/chicken very occasionally because I want too and feel much healthier doing so... I also don't eat any dairy or gluten because it affect my health..(celiac)

I don't condone mis-treatment of animals. In a perfect world all game/animals would be free and wild and hunted for food rather than huge commercialized confined houses where they are abused, fed crap, injected with hormones and slaughtered.. To me it's very inhumane and unhealthy to all..

Old 05-16-2013, 08:31 AM

775 posts, read 1,259,309 times
"This means a lot of people here view animals as our little brothers and sisters, not meat products.
Small towns and the countryside are the opposite. Sadistic, cold-blooded killers (who call themselves "hunters" or worse yet "sportsmen" - fat men who can't run 100 yards) are the norm in those places. Not the type of places you want to be."

Seriously, isnt there a tree somewhere that needs a hug?
Oh and my father is a "sportsman" and he walks about 15 miles a day and is in fantastic shape for being almost 70 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland