U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-28-2013, 11:43 PM

30 posts, read 25,972 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Milwaukee, WI and have decided that I wanted to move to Pacific NW soon. I have lived in Seattle for a little over a year before and have visited Portland several times...loved both cities (and the outdoors!), the people and the public transportation there. I am also looking at some smaller cities as well, though I don't know too much about them. I work in the field of geographic information systems, and I think the job market is picking up for my field. It is not easy to apply for a job from a different state, but I am trying. At some point, however, I think I may have to just move somewhere before I can get a job since I know a lot of companies probably don't even look at my resume just because I am out of state. Any thoughts on comparing several of the cities in the area as far as their major differences? Job security is important to me, so does things to do/meeting new friends etc. I am also looking to buy a house/condo/townhouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 09:30 AM

6,959 posts, read 7,770,049 times
The best way to approach a job search from a distance is to make it immediately clear that you will be moving to the community and are available for employment with appropriate notice to your current employer (or upon completing your studies in ...). There is a poster in the Employment Forum that is doing that from the east coast with Portland as her destination and is having some success. If you are applying for a job in NW Washington include the fact that you have lived in the city and grew to love the Pacific Northwest.

Don't waste your time comparing cities, towns. None are dreadful. Focus on the job hunt.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:31 AM

33,770 posts, read 9,633,639 times
I would try and get a job before moving because the job market in the northwest can be tough and having an income set up will make everything else much easier.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
The best way to approach a job search from a distance is to make it immediately clear that you will be moving to the community and are available for employment with appropriate notice to your current employer (or upon completing your studies in ...). There is a poster in the Employment Forum that is doing that from the east coast with Portland as her destination and is having some success. If you are applying for a job in NW Washington include the fact that you have lived in the city and grew to love the Pacific Northwest.

Don't waste your time comparing cities, towns. None are dreadful. Focus on the job hunt.
Thank you for your advice! I applied to 4 jobs that I felt well qualified for and would love to land any of them in the past 2 weeks. After several years of job hunting, I finally got the hang of how to be more aggressive about my job search and target the right jobs.

I tried to look for the poster you mentioned and could not find the Employment Forum, can you point me to it if you can still find it?

Old 04-29-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I would try and get a job before moving because the job market in the northwest can be tough and having an income set up will make everything else much easier.
Yeah I know, I really don't like feeling insecure in a new city and not knowing when/if my next job is going to come. I have a good job now that provides me income, so I will do my best to line up my next job from here and hopefully it won't take too long.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:00 AM

205 posts, read 158,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamfool View Post
Yeah I know, I really don't like feeling insecure in a new city and not knowing when/if my next job is going to come. I have a good job now that provides me income, so I will do my best to line up my next job from here and hopefully it won't take too long.
Although I would absolutely try as hard as you can to get a job before you move don't have your move depend on it. I've been told many times that because it's a tight market in Oregon they tend not to hire people that aren't already there. Granted this is just what people have told me so take it with a grain of sand. But if you really want to move perhaps have a back up plan if you don't get a job from your current location, such as saving up a considerable amount and moving there. Just giving my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland