Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2013, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,479 times

Advertisements

Hi, we need to look for a new place by end of August, 2013. possibly sooner?? We have a family of 4 and a 70# black lab/mastiff dog. He is a smaller mastiff breed and is very protective of us, but loves people once he is used to them. I love him and he has to come with us. All he does all day is sleep in his bed. He barks when someone comes to the door to let us know; He is very smart. He's trained and absolutely does NOT tear up the joint so-to-say, very calm and cool dog.

We preferably want a 3 bedroom house 1 or 2 baths for anywhere from $900-1100 a month, possibly 2 baths (bath in the master bedroom and a second bath in the house). Older or newer home is fine but would love to live by the ocean where I can look out and see it every day.

If anyone can please, pretty please help us with this! that would be outstanding. I could just go and drive down there and look as I am in Astoria now. LOL but my wife has the car in cannon to get to work every day so I am stuck here until I get moved and get a car. If I live in Cannon, I can walk to most places pending on where I live there.

Thanks!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 12:43 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
A home at Cannon Beach will be well beyond your budget. Be sure to obtain a lease because if you go month to month you could be bumped by a vacation renter (a poster on this forum had that happen to him in Rockaway).

I see only vacation rentals on Craigslist. My suggestion is that you drive around Seaside and look east of Hgwy 101.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:10 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
PadMapper.com shows only three rentals in Cannon Beach, but a lot more in Seaside. That might be your better bet, but I'd also look around Gearheart.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:57 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I wish you luck, but speaking as a landlord, I would not accept any dog that is "protective of the family until he gets to know people".

If the dog doesn't approach me with glee and a wagging tail when I do the dog interview, he is not allowed.

Perhaps you should think about looking for an old mobile on it's own land that maybe you can get owner financing on. There are occasionally some of those available if you get approximately 10 miles back from the coast.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:43 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I wish you luck, but speaking as a landlord, I would not accept any dog that is "protective of the family until he gets to know people".

If the dog doesn't approach me with glee and a wagging tail when I do the dog interview, he is not allowed.

Perhaps you should think about looking for an old mobile on it's own land that maybe you can get owner financing on. There are occasionally some of those available if you get approximately 10 miles back from the coast.

Not a term I would use to describe my dog when looking for a rental. As to your budget. There is no way. Not in Cannon Beach, and with an ocean view it is laughable. Any rental other than seasonal is rare. Very rare. If you find something for less than $1,500 a month get a lease or you will be in the street or pay double come summer.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:28 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
I would also leave out the barking part. People are not going to want to live next door to a barking dog. Cannon beach, even if you could find something at your price, is loaded with tourists in the summertime. Your dog is going to hear a lot of people coming and going which will probably mean a lot of barking. Which in turn may mean some very unhappy neighbors.

I think you want something much more in your price range away from the beach, more affordable and more away from other homes.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:40 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearslife View Post
a 70# black lab/mastiff dog. He is a smaller mastiff breed and is very protective of us,

Also, I get an endless stream of hopeful applicants who think they can fool me into accepting their pitbiull just by telling me it is a black Labrador cross. So, your dog has 3 strikes if it resembles a pitbull (and I would be surprised if it doesn't). Big dog, not allowed in many rentals. Pitbull, not allowed in any rentals. "Very protective", a landlord would be mad to accept the dog and the liability that goes with him.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:23 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Also, I get an endless stream of hopeful applicants who think they can fool me into accepting their pitbiull just by telling me it is a black Labrador cross. So, your dog has 3 strikes if it resembles a pitbull (and I would be surprised if it doesn't). Big dog, not allowed in many rentals. Pitbull, not allowed in any rentals. "Very protective", a landlord would be mad to accept the dog and the liability that goes with him.

I see you caught that too.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:05 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
I would be suspicious of someone who felt they had to explain their dog without being asked anything about it to begin with. Why not say I have a dog and leave it at that and then supply information when asked for it? When I would look for apartments, I say I have a cat. The landlord will sometimes ask is it nuetered/spayed, indoor/outdoor, male/female, declawed, old/young, what breed if any?

Believe it or not, some of these things have made a difference to different landlords in whether or not they would rent to someone with cats. I would imagine it was based on passed experience with the same. Other than saying I have a cat and how many at any given time, I don't volunteer any information until they ask. Then I would be honest and tell them the truth about the cat(s). If it's acceptable, fine, if not, I just move on. There is no point in lying because sooner or later a tennant will be found out. There are no greater tattle tales than neighboring tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland