Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 12:12 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeg20 View Post
I guess I'm not the only one here looking to relocate from Kommiefornia. I thought about Oregon and Texas. I read quite a bit of good things about Sugar Land, also some on Kingwood. I'm not locked into Houston area, Austin can be a possibility. My criteria are safe neighborhoods, great schools and decent job availability (I work in Automotive Repair Management). Not looking to buy a McMansion, but 2000 sq ft+ house with a back yard would do just right.

I spoke with several Texans and they are all very happy with their place to live. Something that I don't hear very often from the people I live next to.

I appreciate PDX's post here. Any recommendations, suggestions or directing me to threads dealing with relocation would be greatly appreciated.
You probably want the General Moving forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 07:30 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
People here will tell you I am not an instant Portland defender by any means but I really believe that if someone is not currently living in a city, any city, they can be giving out some wrong information. As an example, basically what you are saying about the COL is true, but Portland is not trying to shove everyone into public transportation as you stated.

By your own admission your comments are based on your reading the posts of others over the past three years and visiting neither or which immerses you in the day to day living and dealing with what goes on in the city.

I just think that those who are seeking advice about relocating to Portland would be better served asking specific questions of those who are currently living here. The fact that you used to live here is the past, they need to know about the present.

But again, of course you are entitled to your opinion and if people want to take it, it's up to them. As long as they know it is not from a person who is actually living here. For me, if I were relocating that would make a difference. For someone else, it may not.
By your own admission, you seek to judge the input of other members with very little regard for the quality of their posts. Judging them by the fact that the person has moved is a poor replacement for logical analysis. Quite simply, I regularly find people who are wrong about the area they live in at that very moment. That in itself is proof that living in a place is not enough to create accurate statement. You might feel that he has less ability to be accurate, but if you judge strictly by location with no regard for the actual content then you are simply stereotyping by his geographic location.

That isn't polite.

I lived in Oregon for 20 years. His assessment may not be perfect, but it was very good. It was significantly better than the assessments many people give of the places they are actually living in. His post deserves rep for being accurate and articulate. For people considering moving to the city, it is useful to have the views of people who have lived there in the past and decided to leave. Only getting advice from people who choose to continue there would severely limit the perspectives available to potential residents. This would be similar in effect to telling people who threw an item in the trash that they have no business writing a review of the item--only in this case he had several years of experience with the city before he decided to move.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:45 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,018,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
By your own admission, you seek to judge the input of other members with very little regard for the quality of their posts. Judging them by the fact that the person has moved is a poor replacement for logical analysis. Quite simply, I regularly find people who are wrong about the area they live in at that very moment. That in itself is proof that living in a place is not enough to create accurate statement. You might feel that he has less ability to be accurate, but if you judge strictly by location with no regard for the actual content then you are simply stereotyping by his geographic location.

That isn't polite.

I lived in Oregon for 20 years. His assessment may not be perfect, but it was very good. It was significantly better than the assessments many people give of the places they are actually living in. His post deserves rep for being accurate and articulate. For people considering moving to the city, it is useful to have the views of people who have lived there in the past and decided to leave. Only getting advice from people who choose to continue there would severely limit the perspectives available to potential residents. This would be similar in effect to telling people who threw an item in the trash that they have no business writing a review of the item--only in this case he had several years of experience with the city before he decided to move.
Thank you for that bit of intelligence and rational thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland