Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 09:28 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times

Advertisements

Agree, but most of those studies only look at income taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 03:56 PM

638 posts, read 1,178,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
No one who is ambulatory stays indoors for 8 months.
Thank you for my LOL for the day!

Old 05-12-2013, 07:06 PM

57 posts, read 134,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
2. Cost of living. Are you serious? This state is cheap. Portland is easily the cheapest major American city.
No way. As a person looking to buy a house in Portland (housing is the single biggest cost for most people), it is at least 50% more expensive than Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, etc --- all metros with over 4 million people. And the plots are TINY.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:05 PM

686 posts, read 1,767,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gog8rs View Post
No way. As a person looking to buy a house in Portland (housing is the single biggest cost for most people), it is at least 50% more expensive than Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, etc --- all metros with over 4 million people. And the plots are TINY.
I don't know about the specific comparisons made, but I agree housing in the Portland is relatively expensive.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:31 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUR View Post
I don't know about the specific comparisons made, but I agree housing in the Portland is relatively expensive.

You should see the disparity between income and housing prices on the coast.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:34 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copsgirl73 View Post
Of course!
Ive also heard of jean shorts. Doesnt mean I want to wear them
How about those blue jean sweat pants and pajamas?

Top them off with some Ugh boots and your right in style for Wal-Mart shopping.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:57 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
Yes, there are large cities with cheaper housing but not on the west coast.

For example you can buy a beautiful home in and around Cleveland for less than its replacement cost, down right dirt cheap, but jobs that pay a family wage in manufacturing have left in droves. The Cleveland Clinic and Case Western Reserve professionals can't take up the housing excess. Much the same in Pittsburgh but I understand they are having success rebuilding their economic base.

Huston and Dallas construction practices frankly abuse the undocumented workforce.. those workers work as sub-contractors for very low rates and even then contractors often fail to pay them. Undocumented workers don't have the leverage to enforce agreements in court so they go on to the next job and hope they get paid. No wonder housing is cheap.

I don't know Atlanta well enough to comment.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:35 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Yes, there are large cities with cheaper housing but not on the west coast.

For example you can buy a beautiful home in and around Cleveland for less than its replacement cost, down right dirt cheap, but jobs that pay a family wage in manufacturing have left in droves. The Cleveland Clinic and Case Western Reserve professionals can't take up the housing excess. Much the same in Pittsburgh but I understand they are having success rebuilding their economic base.

Huston and Dallas construction practices frankly abuse the undocumented workforce.. those workers work as sub-contractors for very low rates and even then contractors often fail to pay them. Undocumented workers don't have the leverage to enforce agreements in court so they go on to the next job and hope they get paid. No wonder housing is cheap.

I don't know Atlanta well enough to comment.
Atlanta is basically one big sprawling suburb, so housing is relatively cheap because there are so many subdevelopments throughout the metro.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:38 PM

775 posts, read 1,259,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
How about those blue jean sweat pants and pajamas?

Top them off with some Ugh boots and your right in style for Wal-Mart shopping.
Ha! Oregon, the only state I know of where wearing your pajamas out of the house (getting the mail does NOT count) is totally normal

Old 05-12-2013, 10:00 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copsgirl73 View Post
Ha! Oregon, the only state I know of where wearing your pajamas out of the house (getting the mail does NOT count) is totally normal
You've never been to Alabama then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland