Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 02:58 AM

156 posts, read 235,513 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am planning to move to Portland at the end of June. I actually am looking forward to the cloudier weather because I suffer from severe migraines and the sun is a big trigger for me. I also don't do that well in high temps. I have been living in Florida the past 4 years and needless to say it is not a good fit climatewise.

I would love some input as to which neighborhood(s) might be good choices for my lifestyle.

Here is my wish list:
1) Walkability: a good WalkScore is key because I no longer drive due to medical issues. Public transit access is important too, but having as much as possible within walking distance makes for a higher quality of life. There are not too many major cities that are great for carless living, and Portland is one of the cheaper ones and the climate is good for me.
2) Good grocers, I prefer local but Whole Foods and Trader Joes type merch is what I tend to eat. Having a farmer's market nearby would be good too.
3) Library and Used bookstores: I read...A LOT.
4) Thrift stores: I always try to shop at these.
5) Venues with things like Back Fence PDX
6) Good restaurants, including all ethnic flavors.
7) Yoga studio
8) Dog Training group classes
9) Close to a good vet, both dogs have some managed chronic health issues and it is less anxiety inducing for me to live close to a vet and ER since I don't drive....however a cab ride distance is fine for this.
10) Parks....I don't think this should be hard since there is an abundance of green space.

As to the rental, I do have 2 dogs that I will not give up. One is a service dog if that makes any difference. Both are friendly and well behaved. I live alone, no kids, no spouse, so safety is a concern but at the same time I have lived in Washington DC and Manhattan so I am fairly street savy. That being said, I don't want to have to walk the gauntlet to take my dogs out at night. I am a 45 year old female and have no real desire to live in a complex where everyone is half my age (or younger lol). I am an extreme nightowl so night time noise does not matter to me.

As far as square footage, the more the better. I am NOT capable of living in a "microstudio" sad to say even after years of downsizing. A true loft type space is ideal for me, I don't need rooms chopped up since I am alone. Or a small single story single family house is fine. I don't like townhouses or houses with multiple floors.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
PS a job outside the house is not an issue so as far as location goes, just the above parameters apply. Also most likely I will need a temp rental lined up for when I arrive so I can secure a long term rental after seeing them in person. Any suggestions on this (besides Craigslist)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 05:14 AM

686 posts, read 1,763,950 times
Pearl District and Nob Hill might be candidates

Old 05-11-2013, 05:52 AM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,496,238 times
There are several areas that meet your requirements. Which one you choose depends on how much are you able and willing to pay for rent.
As SMUR said, Pearl District and NW Portland would be a good fit for what you are looking for, but they are pricey.
More affordable choices are on the east side (east of the Willamette). Look within couple of miles east of Willamette and south of I-84. That area is very walkable, has good public transit and should be cheaper than Pearl District.
You can also follow the Max lines and choose a place not far from the Max. However, not all places along the Max have all the amenities you've mentioned, so you'd need to study them case by case. One area that is quite affordable and safe is near the Beaverton Round. There are apartments as well as lots of stores and other amenities nearby.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:06 AM

Thanks. Pearl district is the "in" place to live I guess but I am afraid the newer apts/condos are largely of the microstudio variety. This is how it tends to work out when an area gets popular, they want to squeeze in the max amt of people into each building and it also gets very competitive. I don't know what it is like in Portland, but in places like Manhattan and DC you really have to know someone or get lucky to get a good unit. Five years ago I attended an open house off Craigslist in DC....it was not a cheap place ($2500 a month), but there was a line down the block to rent it. Usually I find December and January advantageous months to be a renter because fewer people like to move around the holidays and therefore landlords might be more negotiable. Unfortunately, I have to move in the summer and I suspect that I will have a harder time and more competition. As far as safety, I could settle for being on the edge of gentrification (well, on the backside of the edge lol) if the location and square footage are right and it matches my wish list.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:23 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,411,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookinforhorseparadise View Post
2) Good grocers, I prefer local but Whole Foods and Trader Joes type merch is what I tend to eat. Having a farmer's market nearby would be good too.
Couple of links for you:
New Seasons Market - Find a Store

Portland Farmers Market :: Markets

Old 05-11-2013, 06:03 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,102,216 times
I would suggest the Northwest District.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:06 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,379,702 times
This is going to depend upon what you can afford. What you are looking for is going to cost a lot in Portland. If you cannot afford high end rent, you will more that likely have to compromise but if you can give us an idea of you price range, it will be a bit easier to suggest a neighborhood.

It will be difficult with the dogs although the fact that one is a service dog will be in your favor. I don't know if you are aware that the rental market in Portland is extremely tight and you comment about knowing someone or getting lucky is often true here too. And not have most people under 45 in your building is not really likely to happen in this city. But I think you were kidding about that. Right?

All in all, you will find all the things you are looking for in Portland. Just not in all the same place. But first start with what you are looking for in the way of what is affordable for you.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:09 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,379,702 times
Here is a really good website on Portland neighborhoods. A couple of potential transplants have said it was really helpful.

Portland Neighborhoods: Finding an Apartment or Rental in Portland

Old 05-12-2013, 01:45 AM

Thanks for all the advice. By the age comment I just meant that I did not wish to be in a building that was a de facto dorm with all residents in their early 20s. Of course I realize areas immediately adjacent to colleges and universities may fall into this category but I was not sure of all the actual names of such Portland neighborhoods so as to avoid this scenario. I do realize too that many women my age may be married with children and therefore may be looking for a totally different living environment that what I want/need. Given that I can no longer drive, I have far fewer choices than most, because I am not willing to become a hermit and live in isolation on a farm when I have no means of transportation off the property. So that is my main parameter...well, also the dogs lol.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:55 AM

"This is going to depend upon what you can afford. What you are looking for is going to cost a lot in Portland"

" A LOT" is a relative term....I have lived in DC and NYC so I doubt "a lot" will be anywhere near those prices.....but I am not really sure what average prices are in Portland since they seem to be all over the place when I look at Craigslist, etc. Since I am alone I don't need a family sized dwelling...a loft with 800 sq ft would be OK or a 1-2 Bedroom apt depending on the layout. I don't want a townhouse or multiple story home and I am willing to take a ground floor or lower floor unit with potentially lesser view in order to compromise and get the other things on the wish list. In unit washer and dryer would be great. This past 3 1/2 years without have REALLY sucked and I could have bought 10 washers/dryers by now not to mention the aggravation of shlepping stuff to the laundromat when you don't drive. So could you give me some input as to how much "a lot" might be in your eyes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland