Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 09:21 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times

Advertisements

If you are driving south on I-5 do drive east on I-84 to Multnomah Falls (at least, the old Hgwy to the south is magnificent but you may not have time for that). Continue east with a stop at Bonneville Dam (fish ladders & salmon rearing areas), then on to Hood River Hood River County » Ten Must-Do Activities. From there turn south on Hgwy 35 and head to Mt. Hood. Hgwy 35 intersections with Hgwy 26, continue west a couple miles to the Timberline Highway and visit Timberline Lodge Timberline Lodge | Timberline Lodge .

From there go back to Hgwy 26 and head to Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 12:18 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
If you are driving south on I-5 do drive east on I-84 to Multnomah Falls (at least, the old Hgwy to the south is magnificent but you may not have time for that). Continue east with a stop at Bonneville Dam (fish ladders & salmon rearing areas), then on to Hood River Hood River County » Ten Must-Do Activities. From there turn south on Hgwy 35 and head to Mt. Hood. Hgwy 35 intersections with Hgwy 26, continue west a couple miles to the Timberline Highway and visit Timberline Lodge Timberline Lodge | Timberline Lodge .

From there go back to Hgwy 26 and head to Portland.
When will the Hood River cherries be ready? Sometime in June isn't it?

Old 05-12-2013, 05:41 AM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,842 times
Quote:
What are the "must sees" for Portland and Oregon state?
As far as your overall route:
1. I'd say, for this trip, stick to PNW and perhaps Northern California. California is a big, beautiful state worth separate visit (in conjunction with Nevada and Arizona)
2. Since you are from Pittsburgh where you have mountains, I'd suggest go mostly for the "water' attractions in PNW.
a) Start with sightseeing in Seattle
b) Visit Islands in the Puget Sound area (they are gorgeous)
c) Go to Olympic Peninsula. Make a detour on a ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria, BC
d) Drive down the Olympic Peninsula coast to Astoria, OR.
e) From Astoria, go visit Portland
f) Return to the Oregon Coast, drive down on Hwy 101. Make sure you stop at Cannon Beach.
g) Return inland to visit the Crater Lake.
h) Visit the Big Trees in Northern CA
i) Return to Seattle through the inland route through the Cascade Mountains

Old 05-12-2013, 03:34 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
You might love to take a Jetboat ride Adventure from Grants Pass...or Gold Beach, on the coast...

www.hellgate.com

Rogue River Jet Boat Trip Jerry's Rogue Jets

Old 05-12-2013, 07:21 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,166 times

We've done Hellgate a couple of times, Hawk. It is fun!
On the webcam at Taprock, I saw folks in line today. Guess that they're up and running with this warm weather.
Hopes...this is the Grants Pass area. Near where I live.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:53 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
It's absolutely beautiful. I was telling my husband about this tour, and we love the idea.

We're trying to fit it into the itinerary. Once I have a rough draft of my itinerary, I'll post it for opinions.

Thanks for everything!

Old 05-13-2013, 08:40 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Rafting Adventures out of Merlin are Much FUN tooo................Especially when it's HOT.

Google......<<<<......Rafting

Old 05-14-2013, 01:05 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Here's a rough draft of the itinerary.

I'm mostly focusing on where to stay each night so I can get reservations. But I want to make sure I'm staying in areas that are near or between things everyone is recommending I do and see.

I'm worried I'm not spending as much time on Oregon as I wanted. Somewhere in here is a high speed boat trip in Hellsgate, but I don't remember where and I'll need to adjust my lodging accordingly in OR. I'm horseback riding somewhere on this trip too. LOL We have to stay in Seattle for two nights because hubby has a friend who retired there and he wants to spend time with him.

Any adjustments to this itinerary are greatly appreciated!

Saturday -- Arrive in San Fran in late evening, stay overnight

Sunday -- Drive to Monterey/Carmel, stay overnight

Monday -- Drive Big Sur to Hearst Castle

Monday night -- Drive to Yosemite, stay overnight

Tuesday -- Enjoy Yosemite, stay overnight

Wednesday -- Drive all day to somewhere along the coast near Manchester, CA or Fort Brag (very disappointed in this idea but it's the only way to get on target with our northbound destination.

Thursday -- Drive to Redwood Forest, spend the afternoon in the area, stay overnight in Crescent City or somewhere nearby

Friday -- Drive to Crescent Lake, OR, check it out. Stay overnight at Coos Bay or Florence, OR.

Saturday -- Drive to Astoria, OR

Sunday -- Check out Mt. Rainier, stay somewhere near Olympic National Park, if not in it depending on how much time

Monday -- Visit Rain Forest, stay in Olympic National Park area

Tuesday -- More time in Olympic National Park, stay overnight again

Wednesday -- Head over to San Juan Islands, stay overnight

Thursday -- Enjoy San Juan Islands, stay overnight

Friday -- Seattle

Saturday -- Seattle

Sunday -- Fly home

Old 05-14-2013, 01:14 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,606 times
Unless you absolutely have to go to Manchester and Fort Bragg, I'd spend the night in Ukiah. CA Hwy 1 is verrrrryyyy slow and twisty. US 101 is a better drive (albeit not right on the coast) and you'll still see plenty of redwoods.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:21 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,166 times
Wow. That's a lot. I know that you can rent horses to ride on the beach at Bandon, near Coos Bay. I guess you can also rent horses in Yosemite. I don't know for sure.
On your way to Crescent Lake ( are you sure you don't mean Crater Lake) from Crescent City, CA, you go thru Grants Pass, which is where you would get the JetBoat ride thru Hellgate. BTW....they only run certain times during the day. You need to check it out first....Hellgate - Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland