Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 05:43 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,307,258 times

Advertisements

Does Tri Met really need this? Not everyone has these devices, it seems very limited and very costly.

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/9-news/152545-trimet-hopes-new-ticket-app-clicks-with-bus-rail-commuters

Bye the way, did anyone catch Jeff KOIN's Gianola's interview with Niel Mcfarlane, Tri Met General Manager, last week? It was pretty interesting.

TriMet execs receive hidden raises, while fares go up | KOIN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 07:38 PM

478 posts, read 877,501 times
I think this is informative, as far as the app being "costly,"- it's from the article here- TriMet unveils e-ticket app from Portland's GlobeSherpa, says technology is future of fares (video) | OregonLive.com

"Q: So, how much taxpayer money is TriMet spending on this app?

A: At this point: Zilch.

In fact, the app could wind up saving the budget-battered agency millions. Before we do the math, let's look at the history.

In late in 2010, seeing the potential of mobile payments, GlobeSherpa sent an unsolicited proposal for the app to TriMet.

The agency liked the idea and, as required, published a public notice to make sure other companies weren't interested in providing an e-fare solution. No one -- not even traditional fare vendors -- responded to the notice. So, TriMet continued to negotiate with GlobeSherpa.

There's no upfront cost.

GlobeSherpa will be paid 7 percent per transaction in the first year of the contract; an estimated 5 percent in years two and three. In addition to GlobeSherpa's commission, TriMet will pay a service fee of 4 percent for payment processing.

By comparison, TriMet pays 5.2 percent in processing fees per transaction via its TVMs. "

Old 05-19-2013, 09:11 PM

Costly to whom? To the people who will have to buy the cell phone devices on which the apps can be used.

Why are they proposing something not everyone can use? Many people do not have the devices needed to be able to use the apps nor can they afford to buy them. Not everyone who uses public transportation even has cell phones believe it or not.

GlobeSherpa says no startup fees, what about later on? What was the union rep talking about when he said that it would take millions to convert the system?

Why is Trimet talking about yet another new thing when it is so embroiled in so many other controversies?

How often do you take public transportation that you feel this would be beneficial over the traditional tickets and passes now being used?

Old 05-20-2013, 12:00 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,431,992 times
I think it's a great idea. Much easier than trying to deal with fare machines for MAX that often will refuse my credit cards for no reason or not work at all or trying to hunt for change to get exactly $2.50 for the bus... And I'd rather just have my proof of payment on the phone than with a paper transfer or pass that can be dropped or lost. And I like the idea that I could just buy several day passes on my phone, store them, and then just activate when I'm getting on the train or bus. Much easier than missing a train because of waiting in line behind people trying to figure out the ticket machine(again which are often broken).

In Europe they already do this in a lot of places. Basically we're moving towards this model for plane flights, bills, everything--I can deposit checks to my bank account via an app on my Iphone these days. Most people increasingly tend to have some sort of smart phone these days.

But they're not proposing getting rid of all paper tickets right now:

Quote:
Q: I don't own a smartphone. Does anything change for me?

A: Nope. The emergence of the electronic-fare age doesn't mean TriMet is going to start ripping TVMs out of stations. The end of paper tickets is still years away.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:50 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,731,562 times
Along similar lines, I use a smartphone app for my boarding passes at airports - I was a little leery the first time I used it (what if I can't get cell signal or I have accidentally drained my phone's battery?) but this last time, when the hotel's printer was down and I couldn't print passes, it saved me checking in at the counter.

As long as it doesn't mean that ticket machines will be torn out or some class of service will be given the smartphone users that isn't available to the general public, it seems like a reasonable use. I've always thought, when planning trips from my hotel, that it would be nice if I could just scout the route online and print the tickets from there without having to use the machines.

From the article it looks like what it will "cost" Trimet is the credit card processing fee (which they already pay when you use a credit card at the machine) plus about 7% of the ticket fee to the company developing the app. Since, in theory, the app is no-maintenance to Trimet, that might even be a good deal.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:55 PM

9,858 posts, read 11,867,825 times
Anybody remember pay telephones? Just asking... ...

Old 05-20-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Anybody remember pay telephones? Just asking... ...
Yeah. I do. It's one of the reasons I felt forced to buy a cell phone. I really don't have the need for one but when I found myself needing a pay phone and realized they were no longer avialable, I reailized I had better go with the crowd and get a cell phone. I use it more to tell the time than anything else.

Some people just don't have the need for all the latest gadgets. But I would love to be able to buy a new laptop.

What I read in the article that paper passes would be done away with in lieu of the electronic tickets and passes. If this is not the case, fine. But it it's going to cost as the union rep stated and everyone will be forced to use them in the future, then I object. Otherwise, I don't care. I don't have a problem using a paper pass and I can't afford and don't need to buy a smartphone just to have an app for an electronic one.

The people I see riding the bus probably can't even afford a $25.00 a month plan from Kroger like I have. That was the point I was trying to make.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:53 AM

9,858 posts, read 11,867,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
The people I see riding the bus probably can't even afford a $25.00 a month plan from Kroger like I have. That was the point I was trying to make.
I know, because I'm trying to make the same point...

Old 05-21-2013, 01:40 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,431,992 times
I haven't read anywhere that Trimet is going to only sell tickets via the smartphone ap. More likely this is just one of the options they'll have in the future. Paper tickets don't sound like they're going anywhere in the short run. Eventually they'd like to make the switch to a paperless system just as many transit systems have started to, but that'll be a long process.

Trimet's fare collection system currently is increasingly archaic. Most major cities have transit systems with smartcards or saved value cards where you simply re-load the value of the card instead of purchasing separate daily passes. For those of us who are frequent users of Trimet--yet don't ride every single day, thus making the value of a monthly pass not worth it---Trimet seems way behind the times in options. The smartphone ap at least seems like a step in the right direction.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:37 PM

5,393 posts, read 8,075,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
.......The people I see riding the bus probably can't even afford a $25.00 a month plan from Kroger like I have. ............
Many of them qualify for free Obama phones. I read where smart phones are now part of the program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: