Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 03:26 PM

146 posts, read 300,207 times

Advertisements

Seems like there are a lot of people (myself included) who are just generally curious about life in Portland, what it's like, how the weather is, what there is to do, what its strengths and weaknesses are, etc.

I thought that, maybe, rather than talking about it in general terms, it might be fun for people in Portland to share a detail or two of what they've been up to recently. Have you had any Classic Portland Moments, discovered anything new about your city that you didn't know about before, been on any good hikes, found a new job, etc.? This could be a terrible idea, but I thought I'd give it a try. I know that I for one would be fascinated to see what comes up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 04:49 PM

638 posts, read 1,178,397 times
Went for seafood and had awesome fresh dungeness crab, went to a dog park in the rain (with my dog), went for long walks in my neighborhood and got jealous of other people's rhodies, covered my blueberry bushes with netting, talked Tigard history with someone at work, grilled chicken on the patio, saw a bumper sticker that said "Honk if you knit socks"

Old 05-26-2013, 04:54 PM

146 posts, read 300,207 times
PERFECT! That's the stuff! Thanks!

Old 05-26-2013, 06:04 PM

638 posts, read 1,178,397 times
I'm sure there are people out there who are much more interesting than we are! Maybe after the holiday you'll get some more fun responses.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:50 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,357 times
A few weeks ago someone here posted a link to a great YouTube video: Madrileños por el Mundo - Portland
If you still have your Babel Fish, you should understand it without a problem - the interviewees make many interesting observations about Portland made from an outside perspective.
Otherwise, enjoy the moving pictures:
even if you don't understand Spanish, the video is still worth watching because it gives a very good snapshot of what Portland is like (in the summertime)

Madrileños por el Mundo - Portland - YouTube

Last edited by skiffrace; 05-26-2013 at 07:40 PM..

Old 05-27-2013, 08:24 PM

13 posts, read 28,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiemama View Post
Went for seafood and had awesome fresh dungeness crab,
I am interested in where you found this awesome fresh crab. My daughters and I are moving to the area in July (hubby is already there) and our oldest daughter loves crab (most any seafood, actually). Any info on fresh seafood would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:43 PM

892 posts, read 1,592,500 times
Not much exciting here.

Saturday I went for a run. About half way through, I ran into friends who were putting their kayak in the river for their first trip of the season. On the way back, a homeless woman told us we were doing great. Mowed the lawn in the afternoon.

Sunday I went and got my haircut. On the way home, I stopped by the store and returned some bottles and two of the three return machines busted when I was half way through. Then we grilled some Reuben sausages that were really good. We're going to try and reverse engineer those things.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:36 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,911,959 times
Well I don't live IN portland and I've got two young kids so i'm a bit on the boring side.

Tuesday - We went on a walk and found a really great spot to gather blackberries later this summer. I like to stake out my spots early

I too am a runner, and have gotten pretty lucky with regard to the weather lately, I seem to miss the downpours when I go out (every other evening). It stays light out pretty late here so going running at 8 or 830PM means it's not dark at all. Still wearing running tights half the time, I'm a chilly lady.

Weds - We have been prepping our garden, picked up some herbs and tomato plants at the farmers market.

Friday - Picked up some plywood for my DIY chicken coop from my local hardware store and strapped it on top of my car. Paid more than I would have if I'd gone to Lowes but the Ace people are so nice and it's much closer. Haha is that Classic Portland enough?

Saturday - Went to my local lumberyard to get the rest of my chicken coop wood and they were so nice. Feeling a little self-conscious in my husband's nice car, which is the only vehicle we have that allows long items to go through the back seat area. (i have a honda civic hybrid, no fold down rear seats [well played, prius]). Rang me up quickly and loaded the car up, no side-eyes or comments about a skinny chick putting 2x4's in an Infiniti. I had to make two trips because it didn't all fit through the little hole in the middle of the back seat, yay for not having a truck. Wood is wet from all the rain we got last week so I need to let it dry out before I can paint it. Will start cutting and building tomorrow.

Sunday/Monday - The boys have been sneaking strawberries from our backyard patch. They think it's the best thing ever. They play outside rain or shine and I just have to wipe them down when they come back inside.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:04 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
H'm...let's see. During the course of the week not necessarily in this order.

Nicest thing that happened is while on my way to the grocery store I happened upon an old friend I hadn't seen in awhile. We continued up to Safeway where they have a Starbucks and had a nice chat.

A neighbor dropped by and gave me a container of homemade spaghetti. She made the sauce from scratch and had made too much. Lucky for me.

I managed to duck between the raindrops and went to Kruger's Farm stand, a permanent one that gets its produce from other farms on Sauvies Island as well as it's own farms then from out of town for out of season. It's always fun to see what they have as well as the Flying Fish store adjacent to it.

A trip to NW for a doctor's appointment on the number 15 bus was interesting. That's always interesting because the passengers on that bus are always interesting. Of course, so is NW Portland and NW 23rd. Lots of stuff to look at with all the little shops in the area. I treated myself to a burger at the Nob Hill Pub.

Nothing special, just typical living.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:42 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,139,756 times
Well, there were the fireworks Friday night. For the opening of Rose Festival.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland