Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 02:58 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I've experienced this 'high-brow' mindset on numerous occasions. Once I was in Beaverton with a friend and we stopped to order a coffee at a local place. I said, "I'll have a coffee, please," to which the flummoxed barista replied, "Do you mean a frappe or macchiato?" I said, "No, just a coffee!"
The barista was just asking for clarification. If you go into a place that features craft beer, would you simply ask for a beer, or would you be more specific? You might prevent this sort of thing from happening in the future if you ask for a plain black coffee. It's not the fault of the people who work in these little coffee shops that there are so many different types. Being kind to service people is never a bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 03:04 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The barista was just asking for clarification. If you go into a place that features craft beer, would you simply ask for a beer, or would you be more specific? You might prevent this sort of thing from happening in the future if you ask for a plain black coffee. It's not the fault of the people who work in these little coffee shops that there are so many different types. Being kind to service people is never a bad idea.

QFT

Most of those people already have loads of student debt.

Now they found instead of pursuing an engaging future and growth in their career they get to be way behind on their career trajectory because they are learning the valuable skills of making coffee and running a cash register. I feel a profound sadness for these individuals, many of whom work hard and manage to keep a good attitude.

Like they say, if you have toilet paper in one hand and a degree in the other, you can **** twice.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:14 PM

156 posts, read 235,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSF View Post
A lot of people on this forum seem to think that Portland is an expensive place to live. Either they're only comparing against rural areas or other tiny metros (and $100-200 of difference is a lot to them). Portland is NOT an expensive place to live for a LOT of people in this country. If you're coming from just about any major metro such and NY, Boston, Chicago, DC, SF, LA, San Diego, Seattle, etc., you're going to not only find this place not expensive, but downright cheap. Even when you're coming from many other mid tier cities, if Portland is even more expensive to begin with, it's not by much.
Also you must include all the other costs of living besides the rent payment. I now live in Florida and my electric bill is averaging $400 a month, at times up to $500 for a small house without a washer and dryer and my A/C is not set that low, but you do use it nearly year round. Add to that the fact that I must use a laundromat which is another $100 plus the PIA factor. When you rent a single family home in Florida it seems landlords do not give you a washer and dryer. Guess too many were stolen or broken. In Virginia it was standard for a rental home but there are some really bad tenants here so I understand their rationale. If you have to buy your own that is expensive and inconvenient when you have to move. And then the yard service costs you unless paid by the landlord (mine did not). Plus I rent a storage space because the house is so small. The storage place cost MORE than the ones in the DC area because occupancy rates are high here due to transience. So all told the grand total costs MORE than I paid for a luxury condo in DC...NOT a good deal!!!! So make sure you get the big picture when comparing costs of living between two cities. Being a DC area native who has lived in Manhattan, I find Portland prices to be low for a city of it's size and amenities. The very cheapest places to live are usually cheap for a reason and if you look at quality of life I find the cost reasonable in Portland.
Maybe someone who knows can tell you about the cost of utilities. Usually you can call the electric company and find out up front what the averages are for previous tenants. I have heard some people in Portland go without A/C.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:21 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSF View Post
A lot of people on this forum seem to think that Portland is an expensive place to live. Either they're only comparing against rural areas or other tiny metros (and $100-200 of difference is a lot to them). Portland is NOT an expensive place to live for a LOT of people in this country. If you're coming from just about any major metro such and NY, Boston, Chicago, DC, SF, LA, San Diego, Seattle, etc., you're going to not only find this place not expensive, but downright cheap. Even when you're coming from many other mid tier cities, if Portland is even more expensive to begin with, it's not by much.
I think in these cases they are addressing people who want to relocate from places like the midwestern or southern cities where they can rent a two bedroom apartment for around $650.00 a month including utilities. These people often state they want the type of trendy Portland neighborhoods they have read about or seen on TV. For them Portland will be an expensive place to live in comparison to where they are coming from.

It is certainly all relative when as an example, in my trendy neighborhood, a 450 sq foot or less studio without closets can run you $1100 dollars a month no utilities included parking extra in comparison to what they have back home.

Of course one can find a one bedroom older apartment for this price as well. Or even a much less expensive apartment in a neighborhood with much fewer amenities. But when people want what they see on "Portlandia" and are from Des Moines, Iowa or Indianapolis, Indiana, this is what is going to seem a lot more expensive for them. And a lot of potential transplants are from places like these.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyBilly View Post
Excuse me!?? It's located in Vancouver and it might be 'officially' listed as J-Rod's, but anyone who knows anything calls it Rod's. It sounds like you might be a snobby Beavertonite yourself!
Oh my! Did we have an earthquake that moved Vancouver over into Portland? Well, I guess now there will be no need to build that dang bridge they've been arguing about any longer.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:52 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
Quote:
I've experienced this 'high-brow' mindset on numerous occasions. Once I was in Beaverton with a friend and we stopped to order a coffee at a local place. I said, "I'll have a coffee, please," to which the flummoxed barista replied, "Do you mean a frappe or macchiato?" I said, "No, just a coffee!"

The same type of thing happened when I was involved in a 'fender-bender' with a Beavertonian. They insisted in taking their vehicle to Kuni for repairs and not to Rod's Body Shop as I had wanted. Therefore, I had to pay about $400 more because of this prudeness!
I'm sorry, but if anyone's got an attitude - it sounds like it's you.

For one, as many have said - asking for coffee when there are many types, flavors, etc. of coffee available and being offended is kind of silly. Would you go into a restaurant and ask for a sandwich, without specifying what kind? And I'm sure the barista wasn't flummoxed. I'm sure she just thought you didn't know what you were doing. She probably encounters that daily.

As for you being in an accident, and the other party not wanting to use your bodyshop? Well, I'm sorry, but I wouldn't either. I'd use my own. As it appears they wanted to, as well. And now it turns out that this bodyshop is in Vancouver? Seriously? You think they ought to have gone one state, and a couple of towns over to have their car fixed, because some yahoo who ran into them thought they ought to? Not very likely.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:45 PM

15 posts, read 15,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookinforhorseparadise View Post
Being a DC area native who has lived in Manhattan, I find Portland prices to be low for a city of it's size and amenities. The very cheapest places to live are usually cheap for a reason and if you look at quality of life I find the cost reasonable in Portland.
Maybe someone who knows can tell you about the cost of utilities. Usually you can call the electric company and find out up front what the averages are for previous tenants. I have heard some people in Portland go without A/C.
Thanks for this! I have looked through a few cost-of-living calculators comparing various categories of expenses in Chicago and Portland, so I don't think I'll have sticker shock. My biggest surprise is the tightness of the rental market in the areas I'm interested in. Or like one poster said, what I'm looking for is about as common as "hen's teeth."

Old 06-02-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoffee View Post
Thanks for this! I have looked through a few cost-of-living calculators comparing various categories of expenses in Chicago and Portland, so I don't think I'll have sticker shock. My biggest surprise is the tightness of the rental market in the areas I'm interested in. Or like one poster said, what I'm looking for is about as common as "hen's teeth."

Well, there shouldn't be any surprise when you want to move to a city where so many others want to move and the neighborhoods everyone wants to be that have a 2.5% vacancy rate. In other words, I am certain you are not looking at Lents, or Cully or Montavilla.

In order to remedy this, large apartment buildings are being built in the areas everyone wants to move to faster than you can say "boo." So have patience. By the end of the summer, you can move into tiny studios, or a small one bedroom apartments in the neighborhood of your choosing.

If you are living in a city like Chicago right now, be prepared to be just as crowded if not more so. And I have lived in both so I know of what I speak. If you are very fortunate though, you may be able to get yourself into one of the nicer older buildings in those neighborhoods that will have some breathing space.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:52 PM

99 posts, read 155,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I'm sorry, but if anyone's got an attitude - it sounds like it's you.

For one, as many have said - asking for coffee when there are many types, flavors, etc. of coffee available and being offended is kind of silly. Would you go into a restaurant and ask for a sandwich, without specifying what kind? And I'm sure the barista wasn't flummoxed. I'm sure she just thought you didn't know what you were doing. She probably encounters that daily.

As for you being in an accident, and the other party not wanting to use your bodyshop? Well, I'm sorry, but I wouldn't either. I'd use my own. As it appears they wanted to, as well. And now it turns out that this bodyshop is in Vancouver? Seriously? You think they ought to have gone one state, and a couple of towns over to have their car fixed, because some yahoo who ran into them thought they ought to? Not very likely.

Excuse me "Mr. Know-it-all" but who is 'she'??? The Barista that I was referring to was/is a HE!! Leave it to chauvinist like you to think that all baristas are female, just like all nurses, school teachers, masseuses and secretaries are female too. It's this type of thinking that from chumps like you that give many a bad name. BTW - the Beaverton elite called and they asked that you not stick up for them any more. They will defend themselves!

Old 06-02-2013, 10:01 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
Quote:
Excuse me "Mr. Know-it-all" but who is 'she'??? The Barista that I was referring to was/is a HE!! Leave it to chauvinist like you to think that all baristas are female, just like all nurses, school teachers, masseuses and secretaries are female too. It's this type of thinking that from chumps like you that give many a bad name. BTW - the Beaverton elite called and they asked that you not stick up for them any more. They will defend themselves!
Ummm.

Just FYI, it's Ms. Know-it-all.

Don't know so much after all, do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland