Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 12:23 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times

Advertisements

If you are H1b, you should be aware there is a movement in Oregon to restrict H1b employees. This is not the most H1b friendly state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 02:36 PM

27 posts, read 78,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
If you are H1b, you should be aware there is a movement in Oregon to restrict H1b employees. This is not the most H1b friendly state.
Steve,
that's a good point. But fortunately I am not on H1B so its ok with me.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:41 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
The state has no authority to control the number of H1B employees.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:31 PM

686 posts, read 1,767,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
You mean Oregonians don't welcome H1B visa holders? If that is what you mean, I doubt that is true.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:28 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUR View Post
You mean Oregonians don't welcome H1B visa holders? If that is what you mean, I doubt that is true.
I think what Steve meant is that there is a thoughts about a ballot measure and pressure on lawmakers by concerned citizens in Dallas Oregon to restrict the number of H1-Visa holders in the State of Oregon.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:47 PM

27 posts, read 78,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUR View Post
They might also have a different pay in OR for your role, and it is understandable if they want to make COL adjustments. (After all, you would ask for a raise if they asked you to go to the Bay area from Portland.)

So, consult your HR and Payroll before you go any further. Talk to anyone else in your company who may have relocated like this before. Also, when you broach this topic, be a person just being curious, not a person who has already decided to move. This way, you don't send the wrong signals that you might be looking to leave the company or some such.
Smur,
Yes my company has office in Beaverton so I was thinking to be on local payroll. But if income taxes are high in Oregon than why there would be any decrease in pay (as I got from your point), is this mainly due to low cost of living? I was assuming my company won't change the pay structure but I'll talk to my HR for sure.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillicon_brain View Post
Smur,
Yes my company has office in Beaverton so I was thinking to be on local payroll. But if income taxes are high in Oregon than why there would be any decrease in pay (as I got from your point), is this mainly due to low cost of living? I was assuming my company won't change the pay structure but I'll talk to my HR for sure.
That is a big (and frankly poor) assumption. Your company could (not saying they will) have different pays for your role in CA and OR. This is especially true if they already have a presence in OR. And, this matter is unrelated to income tax.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
I think what Steve meant is that there is a thoughts about a ballot measure and pressure on lawmakers by concerned citizens in Dallas Oregon to restrict the number of H1-Visa holders in the State of Oregon.

I wasn't aware of this development. Do you have a link or two where I can learn more? A web search didn't bring up anything of use.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:43 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Retired HR professional here... Although the corporate compensation structure may have a premium for employees in high cost areas (aka, the Silicon Valley) it is very rare that large employers reduce pay when an employee moves from high to lower cost community. What can happen is what is called pay compression, raises are not as generous as they adjust to what they pay locally. However, for many occupations there is a national, or at a minimum regional, pay and they do not offer less because the job is in Portland (or Seattle) vs the Silicon Valley. Can you imagine an employer like INTEL offering an executive less for working in Portland?

Tax wise I don't expect the OP to see much difference. CA has a sales tax and high motor vehicles fees, OR does not. In OR our taxes are income tax and property taxes.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Retired HR professional here... Although the corporate compensation structure may have a premium for employees in high cost areas (aka, the Silicon Valley) it is very rare that large employers reduce pay when an employee moves from high to lower cost community. What can happen is what is called pay compression, raises are not as generous as they adjust to what they pay locally. However, for many occupations there is a national, or at a minimum regional, pay and they do not offer less because the job is in Portland (or Seattle) vs the Silicon Valley. Can you imagine an employer like INTEL offering an executive less for working in Portland?

Tax wise I don't expect the OP to see much difference. CA has a sales tax and high motor vehicles fees, OR does not. In OR our taxes are income tax and property taxes.
It might be true that large companies rarely reduce pay on relocation (and that is my experience as well), but a cut in pay/benefits is not unheard of either. So, it is prudent to check with HR before committing to anything.

I agree the overall tax burden will probably remain the same between CA and OR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland