Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2013, 12:56 PM

135 posts, read 222,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Retirement forum? I've never posted there.

I honestly don't know what type of response you expected when you chose to post your personal attack on me here.
I endorse this message as well.... I get a LOT of personal attacks merely for ADMITTING that I am homeless, poor, can't get a job period(and even if I was working, could never make enough to pay sky-high rents in Portland), and just looking for a place to sleep out of the way of everyone and be left alone.. But i'm used to it.. God forbid a homeless person would be smart enough to keep the objects that are NECESSARY to survive these days, considering how "expensive" a netbook is right? But no, I should sell it for one night in a motel(then I'd be REALLY screwed afterwards).. With a netbook or laptop, a down-on-his-luck fellow could go into ANY mcdonalds, burger king, coffee shop, etc.. And check out cheap rentals, gigs for cash, even post pleas for help! I think it should be the number 1 piece of equipment every homeless should carry around!

Old 06-08-2013, 01:04 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Minervah, if you're honestly so dense that you think that your comments about "putting my money where my mouth is" and how I should offer homeless people a place to stay simply because I believe that mini laptops are an excellent survival tool wasn't a personal attack, you're taking this Portland passive-aggression thing way too far.

Yes, I agree with the OP that mini laptops are a great tool for a homeless person to have. They're a better investment that a short stay in a cheap motel, and from what I'm hearing, even some fast food and other places that hire unskilled workers won't take paper applications anymore -- gotta apply online. My laptop would be the first thing I'd grab if I were headed toward life on the street because I know that it would be the most useful object I could have. I don't see the point in begrudging someone something that could be so instrumental in getting them out of the bad situation that they're in.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-08-2013 at 01:40 PM..

Old 06-08-2013, 01:26 PM

135 posts, read 222,323 times
Quote:
Good, Minervah. Keep it that way. If you're honestly so dense that you think that your comments about "putting my money where my mouth is" and how I should offer homeless people a place to stay simply because I believe that mini laptops are an excellent survival tool wasn't a personal attack, you're taking this Portland passive-aggression thing way too far. It was exactly that, and naturally, you got the always-charming Enrico to chime in.
Metlakatla I think you may have a slightly better understanding of whats necessary to do or have when your homeless.. It has to be from a practical standpoint.. Another fact is, in this day and age, is is NOT possible to be homeless and poor and be legal anymore, its not allowed.. Either you're considered a "vagrant"(and many many places have so-called "vagrancy laws"), or your "trespassing" when your trying to get some much needed rest, or "anti-camping" laws that disallow you to sleep.. But unless you've actually BEEN there, its hard to understand(and most "normal" people won't really try).. Its so easy to see someone down and out, with zero prospects, and no hope of being hired anywhere or even being able to afford a place even if they DO manage to get a minimum wage job, and say "pull yourself up by your bootstraps, get yourself out of this mess! I was close to being poor once, but now I make 50,000$ a year and pay astronomical rent, you can too!" Show me a truly poor homeless person(with no family or friends for support) who has done that, and I'll show you a nice bridge to buy! Practicality!

Old 06-08-2013, 01:37 PM

The reason why many of them "blame" the homeless for their situation is because that is their way of assuring themselves that it won't happen to them. People are pretty good -- especially on Internet forums -- at telling others how they should live and what they should have. I think that some people have a lot of anger toward the poor that they try to justify by blaring about their tax dollars (services for the homeless take a very small fraction of our tax money).

It's only common sense that a mini laptop can help a homeless or poor person survive. I've never been homeless, but I lived way out in the country for a period of time when I was young and struggling. This was before computer use became the norm, but I know firsthand how difficult it was to find work without a telephone.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:55 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
Quote:
Let's see, ladies. What I said was that if I about to become homeless and could take only one thing with me that I'd take one of my mini laptops. Tell me again how that translates into how I should give the OP a place to live? Why does the thought of a homeless person having anything of any value offend you so much, especially when it's something that almost necessary in this day and age to find work?
The problem is, that you're in here supporting this troll who purports to be someone homeless, wanting to come to Portland to be a burden on our already strapped social welfare system, and break the law by camping in one of the parks that our tax dollars pays to keep free of people like him.

That's the problem.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
The problem is, that you're in here supporting this troll who purports to be someone homeless, wanting to come to Portland to be a burden on our already strapped social welfare system, and break the law by camping in one of the parks that our tax dollars pays to keep free of people like him.

That's the problem.
What I'm supporting is the idea that having a mini laptop can be great tool for homeless/poor people. I've already told you that my commentary about that wasn't specific to the OP, and I've already told told the OP that I didn't think that camping in this park was a great idea.

I still have no idea where you got your idea that I was "supporting" the OP's interest in moving to Portland to take up residence in a park because I posted that I'd personally choose to have a laptop over other items if I were to suddenly become homeless. I find it completely weird that that bothers you and Minervah so much, and I think that you're the ones who are the trolls in this conversation.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-08-2013 at 04:59 PM..

Old 06-08-2013, 05:07 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,020 times
Quote:
I've read the damned thread. Again, my commentary was not specific to the OP.
Then you were off topic. Done and done.

OP, those of us who pay attention (PDX Mike and others) know that you are here under one of your many aliases (one of which you used in another completely different forum - yeah, I found it, Professor) and that you lied about being new to the site. You are looking for some sort of validation for your "free spirit" lifestyle, living off the grid (except when you need to recharge your laptop), camping in the woods illegally and availing yourself of the "free" services in town (that we pay for) when it suits you. Laptop or no laptop, you are still in the desert/Las Vegas since your last round of postings in May, 2012 about living on the Oregon coast. Stop looking for some sort of magical solution to your self inflicted problems. You are not the special snowflake you think you are. Come or don't come, but we'd really rather you didn't. Your situation is a choice, not a necessity, unlike others who are homeless through no fault of their own.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Then you were off topic. Done and done.
Sorry, but these threads (including this one) are full of slightly "off topic" commentary, and what is or isn't "off topic" is fairly subjective. I hardly see how that warrants personal attacks. I personally don't think it was "off topic." Someone brought up laptops regarding homeless people, I gave my opinion, and there's been nothing but squawking and screeching ever since. And yeah, I think that the OP or anyone else in his position wouldn't be smart to sell his/her laptop for the price of a few nights in a cheap motel. Not so very off topic since this thread is about survival/homelessness.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:29 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,020 times
Quote:
Sorry, but these threads (including this one) are full of slightly "off topic" commentary, and what is or isn't "off topic" is fairly subjective. I hardly see how that warrants personal attacks. I personally don't think it was "off topic." Someone brought up laptops regarding homeless people, I gave my opinion, and there's been nothing but squawking and screeching ever since. And yeah, I think that the OP or anyone else in his position wouldn't be smart to sell his/her laptop for the price of a few nights in a cheap motel. Not so very off topic since this thread is about survival/homelessness.
At no time did the OP mention selling his laptop to spend a few nights in a cheap hotel. The thread is so far off topic that it needs to either get back on topic (although I don't know what more can be said about it) or close the thread. OP wants to know if the police will hassle him if he camps in the woods. And the answer is a resounding YES. Enough said.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:37 PM

Why don't you provide me with a few examples of threads in this forum that haven't gone what you call "off topic?" Or do only squawk about them when they go "off topic" in a direction that you don't happen to like?

It's just a part of posting on message boards; discussions takes twists and turns. The overall topic hasn't strayed too far here.

Quote:
At no time did the OP mention selling his laptop to spend a few nights in a cheap hotel.
The OP posted this; that's what I was responding to.

Quote:
But no, I should sell it for one night in a motel(then I'd be REALLY screwed afterwards).
Seems to me he did mention that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland