Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2013, 10:36 PM

775 posts, read 1,253,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Why are you trolling this thread? Can't stand the thought that someone here refuses to join in with the rest of you on bashing this guy?

Oh, that's right, you were the one who was so terribly offended by the thought of a homeless person having a mini laptop. I guess you'd rather they didn't have access to effective job-search tools or the means to keep in contact with their families.

I can't believe all this pure BS arose because I typed that I'd choose a mini laptop over any other possessions if I were about to become homeless. What would you choose, a sackcloth and ashes?
Youre right. A homeless person would be silly not to have a laptop istead of a cheap cell phone or the ability to walk thru the door of a temp agency. I guess all the old ways of doing things went out wth the dinosaurs.

You assume every person on the planet has to have a laptop as a basic need...my 4 year old doesnt even have one but homeless people should?
I would give some serious side-eye if I sat down in a public place next to a homeless person who was working on their own laptop
No one is bashing this person. If you support his cause so strongly do him a solid and help him out.
If I were on the verge of being homeless, I would sell every electronic piece I could that wasnt a basic phone.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:51 PM

347 posts, read 666,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copsgirl73 View Post
If I were on the verge of being homeless, I would sell every electronic piece I could that wasnt a basic phone.
I'd think that's a bad idea...sort of like selling your fishing rod for a fish. Access to the internet opens so many opportunities to finding jobs that it would be counterproductive to sell it. Sure, you can always go to the library but you usually have to wait a very long time for that, they're closed many days and most libraries will limit how long you stay on those computers.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:56 PM

26,486 posts, read 36,332,953 times
Quote:
Youre right. A homeless person would be silly not to have a laptop istead of a cheap cell phone or the ability to walk thru the door of a temp agency. I guess all the old ways of doing things went out wth the dinosaurs.

You assume every person on the planet has to have a laptop as a basic need...my 4 year old doesnt even have one but homeless people should?
I would give some serious side-eye if I sat down in a public place next to a homeless person who was working on their own laptop
No one is bashing this person. If you support his cause so strongly do him a solid and help him out.
Actually, my point was why is it any of your business if a homeless person has a mini laptop? Chances are, if they've got one, it was given to them. Even if it's a remnant of their former life, why, again, is that your business? Do you really think that the extremely small fraction of your precious tax dollars is going to decrease if some homeless person sells a laptop?

I don't know why you're bringing your four-year old into this. Does your four-year old need a job?

Quote:
I'm sure that you would, but why is your potential boorish behavior important here? It isn't. It's weird that you feel that you've got a right to harass people in public just because you think they might be homeless and are using a laptop. Why do you feel this way? Why is it any of your business?

Quote:
You assume every person on the planet has to have a laptop as a basic need
BS. Knock off the hyperbole. What I said, again, is that being connected can make basic survival a lot easier and shouldn't be thrown away for the sake a few nights in a motel.

Quote:
Youre right. A homeless person would be silly not to have a laptop istead of a cheap cell phone or the ability to walk thru the door of a temp agency.
As I've previously stated, many places don't even have paper applications anymore - including some temp agencies. People need to have as much as possible going for them when they're trying to survive.

Personally, I wouldn't sell every piece of electronic equipment I had because doing so would be counterproductive. Used electronics bring very little on the market these days; it's a better investment to hold onto to what you can and use it for a way out. These little mini laptops sell for basically nothing on CL.

It's probably too hard for you to understand that I'm not "supporting his cause" so much as saying that the price of a used laptop isn't good for much but a very short stay at a cheap motel and that, again, it's a better investment to hold onto it if possible.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-08-2013 at 11:19 PM..

Old 06-08-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyled View Post
I'd think that's a bad idea...sort of like selling your fishing rod for a fish. Access to the internet opens so many opportunities to finding jobs that it would be counterproductive to sell it. Sure, you can always go to the library but you usually have to wait a very long time for that, they're closed many days and most libraries will limit how long you stay on those computers.
It's really easy for some of them to squeak about "what they would do" if they were faced with homelessness.

Quote:
Actually, as a result of this inane thread, I've decided to donate one of my laptops to the local shelter. I hope that doesn't cause you too much angst if you happen to be out in public and see someone using it. Please do everyone involved a favor and act with common decency and everyday good manners if you see someone you suspect to be homeless using a laptop in public.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-08-2013 at 11:22 PM..

Old 06-08-2013, 11:17 PM

775 posts, read 1,253,585 times
Quote:

Actually, as a result of this inane thread, I've decided to donate one of my laptops to the local shelter. I hope that doesn't cause you too much angst if you happen to be out in public and see someone using it.
Nice work!

Old 06-08-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Nice work!
It certainly wouldn't be a first; people do it all the time. Keep that in mind the next time you're tempted to "side eye" someone in public because they have something that you don't think that they should have.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:08 AM

135 posts, read 221,588 times
Quote:
It certainly wouldn't be a first; people do it all the time. Keep that in mind the next time you're tempted to "side eye" someone in public because they have something that you don't think that they should have.
I ALSO endorse this post! By the way, in the last year I've met around 8 other homeless I've talked with, and out of those 8, 6 had a device capable to cruising the internet, sending emails, etc..Things from internet-capable prepaid phones, netbooks, laptops.. 6!! If your going to be homeless, especially in this day and age, You NEED online access.. For jobs, gigs, even shelter, free stuff, addresses, and resources.. Just because someone is POOR, doesn't mean they don't deserve useful objects(expensive as some of they might be).. Its JUST as important as a sleeping bag and tent!!

Old 06-09-2013, 12:35 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,089,620 times
Quote:
It's really easy for some of them to squeak about "what they would do" if they were faced with homelessness.

Actually, as a result of this inane thread, I've decided to donate one of my laptops to the local shelter. I hope that doesn't cause you too much angst if you happen to be out in public and see someone using it. Please do everyone involved a favor and act with common decency and everyday good manners if you see someone you suspect to be homeless using a laptop in public.
Actually, since you're so supportive of the OP and his lifestyle, and opinions ... you really need to leave it under a tree somewhere. Don't you know, shelters are awful places, and certainly not good enough for the likes of him.

And I've just got to ask ... what happened to using the internet at the library?

Old 06-09-2013, 01:02 AM

135 posts, read 221,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Actually, since you're so supportive of the OP and his lifestyle, and opinions ... you really need to leave it under a tree somewhere. Don't you know, shelters are awful places, and certainly not good enough for the likes of him.

And I've just got to ask ... what happened to using the internet at the library?
Wow.. I guess i'll enlighten you.. You generally NEED a card to use their computers(many ONLY let you log in with the card) and it takes an ADDRESS and PROOF of address to even get a card, which is kinda contradicting of the term "homeless".. So many homeless people are denied access, its pretty simple.. At least to me since I EXPERIENCE homelessness, and have for a good chunk of my life..

Old 06-09-2013, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post

There is nothing at all wrong with using the Internet at the library if that is all that's available, but I've already explained that an hour or two here and there online really doesn't cut it for serious job searches. Again, I really don't see why you or anyone else feels compelled to screech about the personal possessions of homeless people. We're talking mini laptops here, not Mercedes. Seriously, do you honestly think that homeless people who happen to own laptops should sell them for the price of a few nights in a motel simply because you don't happen to believe that the poor should own anything?

And yeah...you can't get a library card these days without an address in many places.

As far as the rest of your post, it doesn't make any sense. Maybe it's just too hard for you to understand that even though I'm not, as you claim, "supportive of the OP's lifestyle," I'm not interested in joining your bandwagon against him; those of you who have jumped on it are just boorish and shrill, and I'd prefer not to be associated with your so-called mindset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland