Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 11:43 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,319 times

Advertisements

I just want to chime in on something. Whether OP is or was or whatever homeless, the remarks about the laptop on the first few pages are way off. A lot of homeless try to hold on to laptops if they have them because it's your only chance to job hunt. I was briefly homeless and my laptop was my saving grace. I couldn't use the Public library computers to job hunt because I needed a utility bill or something showing my physical address to get an id. My address was my car. That is where I lived. Most places won't let you apply in person, they want you to go online. So having a cheap laptop can be the difference in turning things around quickly, or continuing to be homeless and struggling.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:01 PM

78 posts, read 127,056 times
Hmmm, in this day and age, should we really be giving any allowances for racism? I always assumed such back-woods ideologies were to be considered taboo at any economical level. And that's all, folks.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:59 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I just want to chime in on something. Whether OP is or was or whatever homeless, the remarks about the laptop on the first few pages are way off. A lot of homeless try to hold on to laptops if they have them because it's your only chance to job hunt. I was briefly homeless and my laptop was my saving grace. I couldn't use the Public library computers to job hunt because I needed a utility bill or something showing my physical address to get an id. My address was my car. That is where I lived. Most places won't let you apply in person, they want you to go online. So having a cheap laptop can be the difference in turning things around quickly, or continuing to be homeless and struggling.
Yeah, that's the point that some of us tried to make, but they didn't get it. They also don't seem to get that there isn't much of a marketplace for used electronics, and that exchanging a cheap laptop for enough cash for a motel room for a night or two just doesn't make good financial sense.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:02 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,344,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Again, it doesn't matter to me whether this thread gets shut down or not; some people seem to wish that it would go away, but they keep posting in it.

I was responding to this comment:

Quote:
SO why do you keep posting in it if that's the case?
You're a pot calling the kettle black.
Again, I was stating that it's not important to me if this thread gets shut down or keeps going, which is why I keep posting in it. I find it ironic that the posters who resent its existence are the main ones keeping it alive.
You weren't responding to that comment. You were responding to me. You need to get a log to keep your stories straight. Post #324:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant
Well, now it's not just Homelessadvocate that I think is a complete liar.
You can think whatever you like; but again, it doesn't matter to me whether this thread gets shut down or not. It bothers me in some ways, certainly, particular the bandwagon aspect of it (it bothers me to see anyone ganged up on the way that some of you have done here), but I'm not part of the private message gossip brigade that is following the OP to other forums and making sly commentary about that here or reporting every other post to the mods in the hopes of getting the thread locked (although I did report yours because it was nothing but yet another gratuitous personal attack). Have a great evening, now.
I helpfully bolded your unwarranted snipe back at me in this message. Please note I was not the one talking about pot and kettle and black. But I won't report you, because I'm older than 12.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:12 PM

Again, I'm sorry that it's hard for you to understand, but my point was that the existence of this thread seems to bother some of the forum regulars to the extent that they'd wish it would go away, but that some of them are actually keeping it going. It doesn't bother me in that way or that greatly, which is why the pot/kettle comment isn't applicable to me.

I know who I was responding to and that it wasn't you. You took my initial response -- to someone else -- and twisted it.

Quote:
this thread doesn't bother me the way that it bothers some of you.
That's quite the truth; I'm not whispering in private messages, following the guy to other forums and trying to bully others into jumping on the bandwagon the way that some of the forum regulars are.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:48 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Yeah, that's the point that some of us tried to make, but they didn't get it. They also don't seem to get that there isn't much of a marketplace for used electronics, and that exchanging a cheap laptop for enough cash for a motel room for a night or two just doesn't make good financial sense.
Your "they" is a beef with two or three people. Move on. You keep defending this guy because you don't agree with a few people. Who cares. This thread stopped being about the homeless and became about one idiot who claims to speak for the homeless (he doesn't) long ago. My problem is with this toxic guy, your problem is with a few other posters to the point that you end up defending the toxicity. Everyone needs to move on--this guy is not the face of the homeless, he's a lazy, racist idiot who chooses (as in by choice) to be homeless. Whether it's because he has mental health issues, or is a troll is irrelevant--the problem of homelessness is complex and this guy is just baiting people and creating more animosity and misunderstanding of/towards the homeless population. Sticking up for any point he has made is pointless.

Last edited by oldtintype; 07-24-2013 at 02:24 PM..

Old 07-24-2013, 02:15 PM

322 posts, read 546,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homelessadvocate View Post
Wrong again as usual! I never mentioned friends OR family because I have NEITHER friends or family(last one alive since 2000).. Strictly on my own.. And by the way, I only mention my radical views on mexicans because ive been on close quarters with them in las vegas for so long! Ive watched them not so slowly make a sinful city into a dirty trashy Mexican hellhole! Ive seen it first hand up close, yet another reason I came to Oregon, VERY few Mexicans(so far).. Yes, they know how to pick a field, but should that make me respect their dirty selves? NO.. I'd probably respect a trained monkey far more! And no, I'm not generally a racist, most of the main people I've gotten along with(and the very few girlfriends I USED to have) were black... But I'm fully familiar with filthy beer-swilling Mexicans and what they do to America!!
You know I went from mildly sympathetic to you and your plight to a real quick "eff you" type of feel quite quickly.

With myself leaving for the area in 3 days with my family, the Mexican population of the area is going to increase as I am Mexican-American so maybe you should rethink your destination. You know us Mexicans, we tend to spread right? So I'd tell you where to stick your self proclaimed "radical" view but I'd prefer not to be banned from City-Data. But let me find you sparechanging me dude, I'll be the Mexican in the suit not listening to "circus music"..so in your tunnel vision view of the world I'll probably stand out.

Also to your point on Vegas..it's always been a toilet dude, hate to burst your bubble. And do you think the property devaluation may have had something to do with the nearly 30% Foreclosure rate and rampant Real Estate speculation that Vegas has enjoyed over the past few years?

You have every right to be a jerk, that's your call. But if you're going to attempt to make a wholly nonsensical argument at least put more effort into it other than the typical anti-brown "you're in America, talk American" ignorance.

To all Portlanders, I'm sorry I violated the Passive Aggressive mandate..I'm still in Philly in my mind.

Last edited by JLay36; 07-24-2013 at 02:25 PM..

Old 07-24-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
Your "they" is a beef with two or three people. Move on. You keep defending this guy because you don't agree with a few people. Who cares. This thread stopped being about the homeless and became about one idiot who claims to speak for the homeless (he doesn't) long ago. My problem is with this toxic guy, your problem is with a few other posters to the point that you end up defending the toxicity. Everyone needs to move on--this guy is not the face of the homeless, he's a lazy, racist guy who chooses to be homeless. Whether it's because he has mental health issues, or is a troll is irrelevant--the problem of homelessness is complex and this guy is just baiting people and creating more animosity and misunderstanding of/towards the homeless population. Sticking up for any point he has made is pointless.
I simply don't find the guy as toxic as you and some others do; maybe it's because I've worked with the homeless before. I find the few people you're referring to far more toxic because they obviously think that they can bully others on a forum into hopping onto their bandwagon. A couple of the regulars have routinely been much nastier than this guy has been, but because they aren't homeless, their behavior flies. At least that's the way it looks. Well, homeless people get to be jerks online too sometimes, and I've seen plenty of racist posts by forum regulars that go completely ignored. Well, all of a sudden the homeless guy spouts off with some bigoted nonsense and it's the worst thing that's ever happened on TB -- when in reality, it isn't. It happens here every day.

Of course he's baiting them, like I said before, but they trip over themselves to gobble up the bait, and they can't stand it that not everyone's joining in on the bashing.

This thread has value; there is some good information in it that could come in useful to those looking for resources online. City-Data ranks highly on the major search engines, so it's no stretch to hope that a lurker or two has found some useful info in this thread.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-24-2013 at 04:06 PM..

Old 07-24-2013, 04:19 PM

135 posts, read 222,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLay36 View Post
You know I went from mildly sympathetic to you and your plight to a real quick "eff you" type of feel quite quickly.

With myself leaving for the area in 3 days with my family, the Mexican population of the area is going to increase as I am Mexican-American so maybe you should rethink your destination. You know us Mexicans, we tend to spread right? So I'd tell you where to stick your self proclaimed "radical" view but I'd prefer not to be banned from City-Data. But let me find you sparechanging me dude, I'll be the Mexican in the suit not listening to "circus music"..so in your tunnel vision view of the world I'll probably stand out.

Also to your point on Vegas..it's always been a toilet dude, hate to burst your bubble. And do you think the property devaluation may have had something to do with the nearly 30% Foreclosure rate and rampant Real Estate speculation that Vegas has enjoyed over the past few years?

You have every right to be a jerk, that's your call. But if you're going to attempt to make a wholly nonsensical argument at least put more effort into it other than the typical anti-brown "you're in America, talk American" ignorance.

To all Portlanders, I'm sorry I violated the Passive Aggressive mandate..I'm still in Philly in my mind.
Yet another perfect example of what I was referring to... Yes, if your IN America you SHOULD speak American(not Mexican, sorry we really don't speak that here).. But you are correct, you do spread, just like the song(you know which song I mean right?).. Im sure you'll fit right in.. And believe it or not I DIDN'T start out this way, with an attitude towards Mexicans, I used to like them, seriously.. Then I started living around them, and THEY changed me.. So if your going to blame someone, blame your fellow tecate swilling lazy dirty compadres for making a non-racist into a part-racist!!

Old 07-24-2013, 04:32 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
Well, all I can say is that us nasty, gossipy, back stabbing, City-Data senior citizen harpies tried to warn everybody about this guy well over three hundred posts ago.

But of course, we all got shouted down by the most defensive, combative, and prolific poster on this thread, who continues to buzz around it like a lone fly on a pile of dung...

Good thing that City Data ranks so highly on search engines.
I'll bet tons of people are getting a really good laugh about that!
That's probably about the only value that this thread has....

How can anyone possibly defend him now, in any way, shape, or form, and be taken seriously?

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 07-24-2013 at 04:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland