Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 02:17 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Meth comes up from Mexico, so to be fair, I think that if they send up their meth, we should return all the meth addicts to them. That's a trade fair to everyone.
We should also send all the smokers, obese, and alcoholics down that way too. After all an addictive personality is an addictive personality and there is absolutely no difference in the "drug" of choice. No matter if it's food, alcohol, cigarettes, or a random concoction of chemicals. The effects are after all, the same. That of creating a rush of endorphins in the brain that triggers the brain's pleasure centers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 05:53 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,211,877 times
Quote:
Oregon has managed to cut way down on meth manufacture, which is a very good thing.

Meth comes up from Mexico, so to be fair, I think that if they send up their meth, we should return all the meth addicts to them. That's a trade fair to everyone.

Tattoo an "M" and the date of deportation on the addict's forehead, put him over the border and let him return after 2 years have passed, if he can pass a drug test. In the meantime, Mexico is a beautiful country with excellent weather, there are manufacturing jobs that have been moved there from the USA, so the adict an work if he wants, and he can get all the meth he wants for very cheap.

For us still here in Oregon, we get the benefit of removing the meth addict's crime out of our area.

Everyone wins.
Sounds like you've put a good deal of thought into this! LOL

Old 06-24-2013, 12:16 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
Meth isn't any more legal in Mexico than it is here.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:35 PM

95 posts, read 116,799 times
Quote:

Tattoo an "M" and the date of deportation on the addict's forehead, put him over the border and let him return after 2 years have passed, if he can pass a drug test. In the meantime, Mexico is a beautiful country with excellent weather, there are manufacturing jobs that have been moved there from the USA, so the adict an work if he wants, and he can get all the meth he wants for very cheap.

For us still here in Oregon, we get the benefit of removing the meth addict's crime out of our area.

Everyone wins.
Since guns are exported to Mexico from the U.S., supplying weapons to supply and grow violent gangs, would the Mexican government then be justified in exporting all of their hardened criminals north to us? Seems more like a lose-lose scenario to me.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:29 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Not all addictions are equal when it comes to the effect that they can have on neighborhoods. Sorry, but a food addict living in a neighborhood or someone who smokes cigs isn't going to have the same affect on the neighborhood environment in general as a "meth house" will.

Just calling the cops isn't going to get meth users removed from the neighborhood. Cops need more than someone's suspicion to make an arrest.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:35 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Meth used to be the drug used by clinics to get people off of heroin because it was that addictive.
That sounds like a terrible idea. Actually what it sounds like is a pharmacist knowing the methamphetamine at the time was legal and knowing that an addict to one thing can become an addict to another fairly easily and taking a really cynical approach to his bottom line.

Anecdotally, while there are a few speedball fans out there, most hardcore opioid addicts aren't really into stimulants.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:18 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
No it wasn't. Not ever. You are confusing Meth with Methadone. Meth is a poison. Methadone is an opiate medication.

Methadone (also known as Symoron, Dolophine, Amidone, Methadose, Physeptone, Heptadon and many other names) is a synthetic opioid. It is used medically as an analgesic and a maintenance anti-addictive and reductive preparation for use by patients with opioid dependency.

meth·a·done
[ méthə dn ]

1. synthetic painkilling drug: a synthetic narcotic drug similar in its painkilling effect to morphine.

meth·am·phet·a·mine
[ mèth am féttə mn ]

1. stimulant: a derivative of amphetamine, used illegally as a drug.

Methamphetamine (USAN) /ˌmɛθæmˈfɛtəmn/, also known as metamfetamine (INN),meth, ice, clouds crystal, glass, tik, N-methylamphetamine, methylamphetamine, and desoxyephedrine, is a psychostimulant of the phenethylamine and amphetamine class of psychoactive drugs.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:21 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
An interesting series running in the Oregonian this week on the issue. The first article was on Sunday and is here.

Not sure why this is in the Portland Forum, though. It's an Oregon issue, and looks like most of the trouble spots (at least those mentioned in the articles) are in other towns around the state.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:50 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
No it wasn't. Not ever. You are confusing Meth with Methadone. Meth is a poison. Methadone is an opiate medication.
Thank you for the correction Steve, I bow to your greater drug use knowledge.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:05 PM

63 posts, read 80,843 times
According to wikipedia: Methamphetamine is a schedule II drug in the U.S. It is available by prescription under the trade name Desoxyn, manufactured by Ovation Pharma, to treat ADHD. While there is technically no difference between the laws regarding methamphetamine and other controlled stimulants, most medical professionals are averse to prescribing it due to its notoriety.

Apparently it's not merely a poison. The more you know.

I think this whole idea of calling the police on anyone you suspect using it is an awesome way to live. What if I suspect you are trying to throw off attention from yourself? Should I "drop a dime" on you?

To be frank, of all the absolutely insane things that have occurred in the news in the last three years that I've moved here, some drugs users stealing some watermelons doesn't even register as a blip on the radar, it's laughable to even think about getting worked up over.

Sign me up for couldn't care less, in fact I think I'd prefer to chance them as neighbors to those who think anyone who acts in a manner they find erratic must be a meth user and needs the gestapo employed without any evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland