Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 11:15 AM

3 posts, read 6,373 times

Advertisements

I'm in my late 20s and live in Seattle and find myself constantly frustrated by the fact that most young people (20s-35) only hang out in one neighborhood- Capitol Hill. When I visit Portland, I feel like the city is more spread out and that the younger crowd hangs out in more than just one neighborhood or section of town. Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 01:09 AM

135 posts, read 222,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilolo333 View Post
I'm in my late 20s and live in Seattle and find myself constantly frustrated by the fact that most young people (20s-35) only hang out in one neighborhood- Capitol Hill. When I visit Portland, I feel like the city is more spread out and that the younger crowd hangs out in more than just one neighborhood or section of town. Is this true?
God I hope not! 20's people get on my nerves, try to avoid them whenever possible!

Old 06-25-2013, 01:23 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
OP, you are correct. You will see the twenty-somethings in many neighborhoods in Portland. For example, neighborhoods such as Buckman/Hawthorne along Hawthorne Blvd in the business district is a popular place. There is a music venue on the corner of Cesar Chavez Blvd and Hawthorne Blvd that is a popular place for young people as well as restaurants and shops.

Along SE Division St you will find many twenty-somethings as well as NE Broadway around the Lloyd Center Area, and parts of North Portland around Mississippi ave. Many other neighborhoods as well. Definitely the NW part of town and SW downtown especially. I think you can say they are pretty evenly distributed in Portland neighborhoods.

Whatever neighborhood you choose, the close in neighborhoods, those that are nearest to downtown, and especially the downtown area itself will have many twenty-somethings hanging about. You will not be alone. Oh, and hikers of that age especially, love Washington and Forest Park.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:00 AM

135 posts, read 222,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
OP, you are correct. You will see the twenty-somethings in many neighborhoods in Portland. For example, neighborhoods such as Buckman/Hawthorne along Hawthorne Blvd in the business district is a popular place. There is a music venue on the corner of Cesar Chavez Blvd and Hawthorne Blvd that is a popular place for young people as well as restaurants and shops.

Along SE Division St you will find many twenty-somethings as well as NE Broadway around the Lloyd Center Area, and parts of North Portland around Mississippi ave. Many other neighborhoods as well. Definitely the NW part of town and SW downtown especially. I think you can say they are pretty evenly distributed in Portland neighborhoods.

Whatever neighborhood you choose, the close in neighborhoods, those that are nearest to downtown, and especially the downtown area itself will have many twenty-somethings hanging about. You will not be alone. Oh, and hikers of that age especially, love Washington and Forest Park.
Thanks for making my day.. I'll be sure to try to avoid them(or scare them off, crazily mumbling to oneself does WONDERS for keeping "normals" away!

Old 06-25-2013, 02:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,720 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Portland 20somethings = GOTH

Bring your black leather jacket and some 'holy' pants and BLACK leather work boots.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:57 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Portland 20somethings = GOTH

Bring your black leather jacket and some 'holy' pants and BLACK leather work boots.
No. Open your eyes and stop seeing only what you want to see. If this was true, there'd be a ton of Goth bars in Portland. The last full time one closed nearly five years ago.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:26 AM

254 posts, read 442,635 times
Haha, I actually have yet to see ANY Goths on my PDX trips...

Old 06-25-2013, 11:34 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
No. Open your eyes and stop seeing only what you want to see. If this was true, there'd be a ton of Goth bars in Portland. The last full time one closed nearly five years ago.
I think I saw some teenaged goths at the Clackamas mall a few years ago. That might have been the last time.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:39 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilolo333 View Post
Isn't there a lot of people in their 20s-35 all over parts of Seattle? Like Ballard or Fremont or Lower Queen Anne--I mean that's the impression I've always got from staying with my friends up there...

As far as Portland--basically you find young people all over--from NW 21st and 23rd through Goose Hollow and Burnside--through basically most of inner SE from SE 60th to the river and north to Killingsworth and south to Powell... And then a few other neighborhoods outside of that. But yes, there isn't simply one neighborhood or area where younger people live or hang out in this city. It's actually easier to list the few neighborhoods that don't seem to have a younger demographic present.

Last edited by Deezus; 06-25-2013 at 01:04 PM..

Old 06-25-2013, 12:06 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
I was downtown just yesterday and saw what maybe could be considered the remnant of a few Goths judging by their clothes but that doesn't really mean anything. The area around Pioneer Square and across the street was so full of young people you could hardly walk on the sidewalk. They weren't bothering anyone but it was difficult to navigate through them. Some were just in groups talking and some were trying to sell jewelry and "art." This was always a favorite gathering place but it's gotten a lot more crowded since a couple of years ago when I worked downtown.

There are some "older" people as in maybe not teens or twenties but most I would judge twenty and younger. As far as the rest of the twenty somethings go, I doubt if there are any Portland neighborhoods where you will not find them. Portland is a very youthful town. I think that what makes it attractive to many from other states who want to move here to begin their lives away from where they grew up because they know they will find kindred spirits.

By and large, there is definitely a mix of ages all over Portland. I don't think you will find any particular prejudices against any particular age if that is a concern. If it is a social matter, you will be just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland