Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 05:15 PM

872 posts, read 2,029,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Lol. Two City-Data threads? That constituted "people." And in the Seattle Forum nonetheless.

Gonna have to do better than that.
I don't have to do anything. If you don't know that the PNW cities are romanticized you are clearly blind.

This thread also speaks for Portland. ALL Statistics Aside, Why do YOU -currently- LOVE living in Portland?

I miss you PORTLAND!

Old 06-25-2013, 05:19 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Let's see if I've got this.

So you make some claim.
You don't have to do anything to defend your claim.
If someone doesn't agree with you, they're blind.

Okay. Got it. I hope that works for you.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:21 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
I honestly don't know why anyone is trying to minimize this thing. That woman in the car must have been terrified. I don't care to engage in a 2nd Amendment discussion here, but she certainly would have been justified if she'd pulled out some protection.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:22 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
You should know better than to link in Seattle threads on a Portland forum and expect us to give a crap...

Old 06-25-2013, 05:26 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
You only have to be the victim once.
I was the victim of a violent beating and attempted rape ( I got away) when I lived in a nice suburb just outside of Chicago. I didn't blame the nice suburb. After I got over the usual psychological stuff that goes with that kind of thing, I went on with my daily life but you do get a different view on the world as to how protective you become of your own little hide. And you don't cower or the bad guys win. But I couldn't carry a gun because they scare the heck out of me.

When I chose to live in the SE part of town in Portland back in the mid to late 80's and people warned me it could be unsafe I took a good look and came to the conclusion it was not really all that bad. After all, if I hadn't been so safe in what was considered a very safe place in a nice well-to-do Chicago suburb, maybe I would be okay in what was considered a not-so-safe place in Portland that had everything else I wanted in a neighborhood.

I love the SW side of town. To me when I first moved here I though it had the true look of Portland because it was so different from where I had come. But I moved across the river to the SE side because for someone who doesn't drive, the public transportation system wasn't working out for me in the SW. Also when I lived there the amenities that are there today didn't exist back then either. SE meet all my practical needs. I weighed the safety factors against the convenience factors and decided they were worth risk which I didn't feel were all that great.

I just cannot believe that in the present day I am hearing A. "OMG! There is crime in Portland! Who knew!!??" Along with B. Comparisons between SE and SW and which is better. Good grief. I thought that horse was beaten to death a long time ago.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Let's see if I've got this.

So you make some claim.
You don't have to do anything to defend your claim.
If someone doesn't agree with you, they're blind.

Okay. Got it. I hope that works for you.
Because its so obvious, you'd have to be ignorant to not know it.

Why do you think Portland housing costs are rising? Why do you think the show Portlandia exists? Why are there so many hipsters?

It's just a stupid question. Its like asking "well how do I know Los Angeles is romanticized?"

Really?

Old 06-25-2013, 05:43 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Okay. So now am I not only blind, but now I'm ignorant if I don't agree with you?

Old 06-25-2013, 05:44 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,857,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSF View Post
That people have a right to carry doesn't mean that they do. No one can know for sure, but I'm comfortable that a very tiny fraction of people carry around loaded firearms. The fact is, if the majority of people carried around guns, it wouldn't take a genius to figure out that MANY MANY more murders would occur. People are emotional. And if they have ready access to a weapon, a person could self rationalize in a hysterical moment the need to use such a weapon for even seemingly benign occurrences like cheating partners or cases of being bullied, even without being physically harmed, or even because they felt "threatened" by a panhandling homeless person.

As for your casual observations of cause and effect, there are so many points of data that one can pull from that I could easily state that the decrease in crime is all due to more Asian Indians immigrating to this country and because Ghandi was their role model, that they are showing Americans the way to be more peaceful. I mean, the "two pieces of data correlate", right? There are infinite observations and data combinations we can derive to make conclusions about the reasons why something is happening. I find that "articles" are usually written by those with an agenda, and a formulated conclusion, and that they generally cling to "data" that correlates with, and only with, their preconceived beliefs.

Hmm- Me thinks you are the one with the agenda here - "PNW attitudes bad - mine good."

Old 06-25-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Okay. So now am I not only blind, but now I'm ignorant if I don't agree with you?
There's nothing to disagree about that people romanticize Portland. People actually do...so, what about that are you in disagreement with?

Old 06-25-2013, 07:20 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
Just a hint:

What is with the diversity myth?

Best City in the Country?

Back to Portland specifically: It is definitely idolized and fantasized as some peaceful hippie hut.
If you look at all the other cities on CD, you will find that those people who love other cities idealize and fantasize them in some way or another as every bit as those who love Portland and Seattle. There is nothing unusual about that at all. I also don't believe that the majority of people do that. Perhaps some who want to believe there is a utopia out somewhere out there for them. Portland and Seattle are not the only city that fall in with their beliefs. So people romanticize Portland and Seattle. Why even bring it up?

Anyway, why do you care? You don't even live in Portland.

Last edited by Minervah; 06-25-2013 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: Computer crash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland