Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2013, 01:57 AM

27 posts, read 124,142 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
We are going to be visiting Portland in a couple of weeks. We are getting off of the Amtrak train at Union Station at 6 pm on a Saturday night. We are staying at a hotel near the Morrison Bridge. I was wondering how safe it would be for us to walk to the hotel. It's about a mile or so, which I wouldn't mind walking if it's safe to do so. There will be 3 of us and we'll have small suitcases. I'm thinking we should just get a taxi. What do you think? Looking forward to visiting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 03:35 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
You can jump on the MAX and it'll get you a lot closer to Morrison. And, assuming it's the Hotel 50 (which is the only one near the bridge) you can even transfer to another MAX train that'll take you the last six or so blocks down to the hotel.

Walking is fine. But .... I'd walk down Broadway until you're past Burnside. It's the main street, and with suitcases you'll kind of stand out as tourists, and someone might try and take advantage of that. But given the early hour, the fact it's still light, you should be fine.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:24 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
It is safe, you might see some homeless and drunk kids bar hopping in Old Town, though I agree, if you are carrying bags you can hop on the MAX for a couple bucks each or even better would be to hop in a cab, with tip, it would cost less than $10 and make it much easier than dragging a bag through downtown.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:05 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
It's also light here in the summer until 9pm or so, so it isn't like you'd be walking in the dark, either. I believe, from your other posts, you live in Hawaii - enjoy the long, long sunset here in the "north." Whenever I am in Hawaii, I am always surprised by the short sunset.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:42 PM

27 posts, read 124,142 times
Thanks for the info everyone! Yep I'm in Hawaii, where sunset is sort of instantaneous! I think we're going to end up taking a cab, and then going for a walk unencumbered by luggage. We will be in the Hotel Fifty.

Speaking of walking, is there any part of town where clueless tourists shouldn't walk? Our main goals are doughnuts, the Saturday market on Sunday, Powell's books, and Portland State University.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:01 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
No, you'll be okay. By doughnuts, I presume you mean Voodoo. That's almost to Burnside. Which is where Saturday Market is. Powells is further up Burnside. North of Burnside, towards the Train Station is Old Town. You'll see lots of homeless and folks you live in SROs there. But I wouldn't say you need to avoid it.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:09 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaineo View Post
Thanks for the info everyone! Yep I'm in Hawaii, where sunset is sort of instantaneous! I think we're going to end up taking a cab, and then going for a walk unencumbered by luggage. We will be in the Hotel Fifty.

Speaking of walking, is there any part of town where clueless tourists shouldn't walk? Our main goals are doughnuts, the Saturday market on Sunday, Powell's books, and Portland State University.
The Irish Pub by that hotel is one of my most favorite bars in Portland....plus they carry the expensive Jameson Whiskey. Oh and their Shepards Pie is the best.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:06 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaineo View Post

Don't miss the Saturday Farmer's Market by Portland State University in the south end of the Park Blocks. Go in the morning and snack your way to breakfast....

Old 07-04-2013, 09:26 AM

478 posts, read 881,863 times
Yeah. you'd be fine walking to all of those from the Hotel 50. Lugging back all the books you may buy at Powell's is a different story!

Voodoo Doughnuts are certainly an experience, if you like standing in line for an hour for a crummy, but artistic, doughnut

If you want some actual yummy baked goods, there are some fine purveyors downtown, like Pearl Bakery, Nuvrei, and Blue Collar Baking Company.

I haven't been to Blue Star Donuts yet, but they are supposed to be a lot better than Voodoo.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:41 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,046 times
Don't forget to visit Salt and Straw for the best gourmet ice cream ever! Most of the things you want to do are near lower burnside/Old Town where most of the services for the homeless (and mentally Ill) are. So keep that in mind. If you're just in those areas it will seem like the whole city is about homeless people/run down. the services have to be somewhere but lots of touristy things have grown into the same area. You can also take the street car up to NW 23rd to Salt and Straw and it gives you a nice tour of part of the city in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland