Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 01:23 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Either way, we aren't very close to the trail (15 minute ride), so I won't be riding it a lot, mostly for kicks.
To really enjoy this trail, start here, then go east:

https://maps.google.com/?ll=45.47856...21136&t=h&z=16

Beautiful, semi-rural scenery, uncrowded (even on weekends), no homeless camping on the trail-side (unlike near Portland), lots of tress and animals instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 02:09 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times
If you are cycling on the Springwater Corridor, please do everyone and yourself a favor and be very careful at the crossing on Johnson Creek Blvd.

Please stop (there are stop signs for the cyclists, but I have observed that the majority of cyclists ignore them) and wait until both lanes of traffic have stopped for you!

It is very difficult to see cyclists when you are heading eastbound, especially if there are trucks and large vehicles in the mix.

Time and time again I have seen cyclists barely slow down and continue across when the eastbound lane is stopped at the crosswalk, and then almost get creamed by westbound traffic that can't see them because a truck or something is blocking the visibility.

Normally the driver gets flipped off and yelled at, when it's certainly the cyclists fault!
Yesterday I saw a huge 1 ton pickup pulling a large boat come within inches of wiping out a young family because they thought they had the all clear.
The eastbound driver stopped at the crosswalk "waved" them through without paying any attention as to what was happening in the other lane.

They just shot on through without looking and almost had a really lousy July 4th.
I'm telling you my heart was in my mouth it was so close.

Of course the pickup driver got yelled at, but he did absolutely nothing wrong.
As far as he could tell it was "all clear" until the family came shooting across.
He couldn't see them because an SUV was blocking the cycling family from his vision.
Thank God he was being vigilant, because it could have been horrible!

Please be aware and don't assume that everyone else is watching out for your safety!

Old 07-08-2013, 02:51 PM

254 posts, read 442,559 times
Skrifface - thanks for the advice. We'll try that ride out for sure sometime.

Mike - Scary! Warning taken to heart. Thank you!

Old 07-08-2013, 02:52 PM

892 posts, read 1,592,661 times
The Springwater Corridor does cross some busy streets, Johnson Creek, 82nd and Foster come to mind.

The really congested part from downtown to Sellwood also has some lane closures due to landslides which only make it more congested. Just keep to your line, look about before stopping or turning and you shouldn't have any problems.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:27 PM

478 posts, read 881,754 times
Sondeera-

Even going downtown, if you go at a non-commute time on a weekday it won't be too crowded.

Sellwood to OMSI would be a great fun ride for kids- you can stop at Oaks Park, at the cool sculptures just before the Ross Island Plant, and, of course, at OMSI. It's short (just under 3 miles) mostly shady and flat, and has some really scenic views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland