Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 09:28 AM

16 posts, read 68,355 times

Advertisements

It looks like my husband will be transferred to Beaverton in the next few months. I love the idea of living in/around Portland, as it will be a relief from the Kansas City heat. (We've lived in Seattle, too, so the rain won't bother us.) But I need help figuring out which neighborhoods to focus our search in. (We'll likely rent for a year before buying, just to get the lay of the land.)

My husband is a programmer, and I'm a potter (hand-thrown ceramics.) We have an 8 year old daughter. (Also a dog and a cat.) I'd like to find a neighborhood that's not too urban, but also not too suburban bland. We'd like it to be walkable, with at least a bookstore, a grocery store, and a coffee shop, with safe places for biking. Access to green spaces is very important, and we prefer slightly hilly to completely flat. It needs to be within a reasonable commute to Beaverton, and I think I'd like to remain on the west side of the city.

One thing I won't compromise on is safety. I want my daughter to be safe while she's outside, even if we don't have eyes on her every second of the day.

Oh, and a farmer's market is a plus!

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 10:56 AM

892 posts, read 1,592,249 times
Downtown Beaverton sounds like it would fit the bill. There's a farmer's market during the summer, a large public library, shops and restaurants, etc. You'd give up the slightly hilly request. The only downside is that the downtown area that would be great to live in is fairly small and pretty soon gives way to more typical suburban housing.

If hilly is definitely on your list, consider Multnomah Village. There's a bookstore, coffee shop, etc in the Village center and Gabriel Park is nearby for biking, etc. If you end up on the north side of the park, you could cut through it to get to the Village but it's a bit of a haul.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:12 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,627,663 times
Hillsdale or Multnomah Village!

Old 07-08-2013, 12:35 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,134 times
Multnomah Village is quainter looking with a walkable strip, while Hillsdale has more everyday amenities (Food Front, etc). Hillsdale has a really great community center. It's a tough call!

Old 07-08-2013, 12:59 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,115 times
Any chance your hubby is going to work for Nike there?
If so, there is so much he does not know...

Old 07-08-2013, 01:02 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,188 times
I live in Hillsdale right next to Multnomah Village and love it here. Not sure where in Beaverton your husband will be working, but it's a decent commute. No freeways from here to there, so surface streets and traffic lights will likely figure into his commute.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:15 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,511,478 times
If you're looking for somewhere on the westside--then as other have said in Portland you should look at the area around Hillsdale and Multnomah Village. Sort of a nice neighborhood somwewhere in between the feel of the walkable little village neighborhood districts of the inner Eastside of Portland and the more suburban westside.

Actually your description below fits Multnomah Village and Hillsdale areas almost to a T...

Quote:
I'd like to find a neighborhood that's not too urban, but also not too suburban bland. We'd like it to be walkable, with at least a bookstore, a grocery store, and a coffee shop, with safe places for biking. Access to green spaces is very important, and we prefer slightly hilly to completely flat. It needs to be within a reasonable commute to Beaverton, and I think I'd like to remain on the west side of the city.
It's all slightly hilly and there's a good small bookstore in Multnomah Village and a great farmer's market in Hillsdale. There's a number of good restaurants and couple smaller grocery stores--though there's more just down the road and downtown Portland is really close. Other than that the other area on the Westside would be in the edges of NW Portland--sort of the northern areas off of NW 21st or 23rd though that's a bit more urban in feel(and fairly expensive). The east side of Portland has a lot of places that would fit what you're looking for to some extent though it's a longer commute to Beaverton.

Last edited by Deezus; 07-08-2013 at 01:46 PM..

Old 07-08-2013, 01:17 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,554,439 times
A programmer transferred from KC? I doubt that he is a NIKE employee.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:28 PM

16 posts, read 68,355 times
Thanks so much for the input! I love that it's a short list - makes scouting a lot easier. Is there a big difference in school quality between Hillsdale and Multnomah Village?

And no, my husband doesn't work for Nike. It's a smaller, legal systems company.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:41 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,627,663 times
They're both the same high school and middle school but its possible they might be different elementary schools depending on where you are. Check out Hayhurst, Capital Hill and Rieke. Both areas should be somewhere within those school boundaries from what I can tell. Portland Public Schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland