Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 05:05 PM

9 posts, read 10,295 times

Advertisements

I've looked at University Pointe, and while nice, it kind of seems like the type of thing we get a lot in Ohio, which is super new, modern apartments that are also incredibly overpriced and tiny but sell well to college students for similar reasons you gave for CHNW.

I could be wrong, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 05:11 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,575 times
Yeah I'd go for a regular apartment if possible but the difference is CHNW buildings are older, are not run as well, have crummy sound proofing and you have to walk to campus/food, etc where as University Point is in the center of everything, surrounded by restaurants and food carts, and on Max, streetcar and the beginning of the bus mall. Convenience wise University point wins hands down. But if you want to get away from the dorm feeling there are tons of apartments with easy access to PSU both on the west and east sides. What's your major BTW?

Also, since PSU is at the end of the bus mall the majority of bus lines pass by it so it's pretty easy to get there from most neighborhoods in Portland.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:50 PM

My major is Political Science, with a dual concentration in American and Comparative. I chose PSU because it's basically the only school that offers that as an option for some reason, outside of schools I cannot afford.

I've definitely been looking farther out after learning from this thread that you get free public transportation for being a student. Goose Hollow is still my ideal, but I've also kind of expanded east a bit as well.

Public transportation is just one of those things I never thought about much until now because it's definitely a weak spot in Akron, OH, where I did my undergrad. But I think I was missing out.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:06 PM

You only get free public transportation on the streetcar. MAX and bus you have to pay for though PSU sells partially subsidized transit passes.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:04 PM

How does streetcar compared to the MAX and bus? I know this is a difficult question to answer without a specific neighborhood, but would I be able to get around well with just streetcar?

Old 07-18-2013, 03:07 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver 8 View Post
How does streetcar compared to the MAX and bus? I know this is a difficult question to answer without a specific neighborhood, but would I be able to get around well with just streetcar?
Well if you are living in the Northwest District and going to school at PSU, you will be able to do just about anything you want just using the MAX and your own feet.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:58 PM

I live in NW and can do just about everything I need on the streetcar. But if I want to go outside of downtown/NW I need to take a bus or max (not that often).

Old 07-18-2013, 04:14 PM

Thanks guys, this has been incredibly helpful in a lot of ways.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:16 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,755 times
If you see a streetcar coming, get on and it will be the quickest way to get somewhere. If you don't actually see a streetcar coming, and you're in reasonably robust health, you can walk to where you're going and get there sooner than you would by waiting for a streetcar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: