Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2014, 12:44 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
It definitely is subjective.

I'm throwing my hat in with Deezus and Urbanlife. None of those places are very much like Portland save for how Deezus described it.

Portland isn't at all a college town.

When I've visited Winston-Salem I didn't get the feel of a Portland in any way which makes sense as wiki says it's city population is just over 200k. Portland's a 600k city making it a mid-major.
I think that is what makes Portland unique, it isn't a college town so technically it shouldn't be attractive to young people, but the way the city functions has made it an easy hotspot for retired young people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 01:20 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
There are a lot of things about Portland that make is much different than a normal American city. It isn't some Portlandia dream, but it is definitely a much different city than I have found in the rest of the country.
Of course it's different and unique, but not anymore so than anywhere else. We're just getting into opinions now. I don't see Portland as a shining city on a hill, though I see some things for other cities to emulate (ie leveraging economies of scale for mass recycling). It's just a great place to live. It's not worth making poor career and financial decisions to move here.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Of course it's different and unique, but not anymore so than anywhere else. We're just getting into opinions now. I don't see Portland as a shining city on a hill, though I see some things for other cities to emulate (ie leveraging economies of scale for mass recycling). It's just a great place to live. It's not worth making poor career and financial decisions to move here.
It depends on the person, I have friends in Portland that love living there that work bar back, bike everywhere, and just enjoy living their lives. It depends on the person. I am not a fan of working everyday of my life and not enjoying what I earn, I am more about balances.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:07 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise1 View Post
Winston population has been revised to over 600K. But anyway, let's agree to disagree! :-)
From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Winston-Salem is a city in the state of North Carolina, with a 2012 estimated population of 234,349.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
It depends on the person, I have friends in Portland that love living there that work bar back, bike everywhere, and just enjoy living their lives. It depends on the person. I am not a fan of working everyday of my life and not enjoying what I earn, I am more about balances.
I'm about balance too. But I'm also about responsibility that's why we'll agree to disagree about the merits of going $80k in debt to attend Portland State, for example. Being financial insecure isn't enjoyable, even if you live in Portland.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:37 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,775 times
Here we go with our source-citing again, EnricoV...

We are both wrong. It is closer to 460K with metro area.

Welcome to Forbes

Old 02-28-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I'm about balance too. But I'm also about responsibility that's why we'll agree to disagree about the merits of going $80k in debt to attend Portland State, for example. Being financial insecure isn't enjoyable, even if you live in Portland.
Not everyone has to do that to live with low cost bills and able to enjoy Portland.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Not everyone has to do that to live with low cost bills and able to enjoy Portland.
If you live in the present and don't care about your future, then sure. It's a lot of fun to bike around Portland, drink beer and work 20 hours per week. It's also fun to go to college and not have to worry about paying right now.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:20 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
Quote:
If you live in the present and don't care about your future, then sure. It's a lot of fun to bike around Portland, drink beer and work 20 hours per week. It's also fun to go to college and not have to worry about paying right now.
I tend to agree with you, VT. Day-in, day-out life for most residents in Portland is like it is in most any other city in the US. Portland just has a few things that make it different, but we all gotta get to work, pay our bills, get groceries, etc.

My guess is that somebody that wants to work back bar, bike around town, and have a laid back life could probably do that in Omaha too. It might be more difficult, but it could probably be done. At the same time, HOA-loving suburbanites can find something here in Portland. Again, it's a little more difficult, but it can be done.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
I tend to agree with you, VT. Day-in, day-out life for most residents in Portland is like it is in most any other city in the US. Portland just has a few things that make it different, but we all gotta get to work, pay our bills, get groceries, etc.

My guess is that somebody that wants to work back bar, bike around town, and have a laid back life could probably do that in Omaha too. It might be more difficult, but it could probably be done. At the same time, HOA-loving suburbanites can find something here in Portland. Again, it's a little more difficult, but it can be done.
And that is the difference, in Portland that is an easy lifestyle, and I have friends who enjoy Portland because of that lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland