Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 01:03 AM

7 posts, read 21,059 times

Advertisements

I have a job offer from Nike and am considering moving up from the Bay Area. I'm curious as to their reputation as an employer in the Portland area. Also, trying to figure out where to live. Does anyone commute to Beaverton from the East side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 07:43 AM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,201 times
Is it a programming job?

Old 08-01-2013, 08:12 AM

892 posts, read 1,592,380 times
If you choose to live on the east side, make sure you have easy access to the light rail so you can use it for the commute. I live in SE and work in Beaverton but the job location is east of 217 which makes the commute bearable (and a commute from Hillsboro pretty much the same). A lot of the traffic in Beaverton is around 217 and Nike and other large employers.

I have a few friends who work there. One's been there for years and was involved with the integration of Nike-Umbro and the the disintegration of Nike-Umbro which involved being in England for a time and a lot of flying back and forth. He's been flying to China a lot too and is tired of the traveling and so is thinking of quitting. For another, Nike travel involved going to the London Olympics and she still enjoys it. It really depends on what you'll be doing - its a big company with a lot of different moving parts.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:03 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
I worked there for several years, left only because my parents needed my help.

As an employer they are wonderful but keep in mind that the workplace culture is obsessive. I understand that it isn't as extreme now as in my day (some 20 years ago) but it is still results oriented.

Unlike many other employers I have known NIKE is very ethical. If Phil discovers an executive is in any way slimy they are gone, overnight. I have seen it happen.

My concern about living east of the Willamette is that you are exposed to two pinch points: tunnel and a bridge. Yes, there are alternate routes over the hill but they too are becoming loved too much.

Should you accept their offer? A lot depends on your career goals and lifestyle. Many would kill for the opportunity you have.

I agree that for some travel assignments are warring. This should be discussed with the manager to explore other options. Most managers are sensitive to employee quality of life and if the job is key will work with the employee rather than face a difficult to fill vacancy. I recall an employee who had worked hard and long on a project to the determent of family life. HR and his manager put their heads together, looked at 'comps' available, and consulted with his wife. They arranged for a surprise vacation for the couple and childcare while they were away.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 08-01-2013 at 09:15 AM..

Old 08-01-2013, 09:50 AM

535 posts, read 966,689 times
I have two relatives who work at Nike, both about to retire. Both say, "It ain't what it used to be." But, I think most people think that as they look back on thirty years. Personally, I would not want to live on the east side and commute to Beaverton no matter what the mode of transportation. I simply value my personal time too much to spend that much time getting to and from work. Driving is a nightmare. The bus takes forever. Light rail is great if you are in the right area. If it were me I'd live on the west side anyway. And I live in the Alameda neighborhood on the east side. When you say "east side" that is a lot of real estate, some good, some great and some really, really bad. Are you thinking southeast, northeast, or east county? Good luck in your endeavors.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:10 AM

Odds are when your relatives were hired the workforce was maybe 2,000 and their office was in NW Portland, it was 5,000 when I started, 20,000 when I left. Now they have 44,000.

It can't be the same.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:12 AM

1,082 posts, read 1,911,761 times
My H works there. The work-life balance quality varies depending on the team/manager. Overall they have a good reputation as an employer. I agree with Nell about the culture and how many would like to work there. My husband does travel some, but it's nothing horrible.

Traffic near Nike is a real pain, though if you are coming from the Bay Area your threshold for dealing with that might be different than ours I would not live on the east side and commute to Nike. What kind of neighborhood do you like, what's your housing need (bedrooms?) and budget?

Old 08-01-2013, 11:38 PM

7 posts, read 21,059 times
Thanks all, some good advice there. I think ideally we want a neighborhood with some character that is still a good place for a family. We currently live in San Jose which is just to suburban for us. We LOVE downtown Portland but I'd doesn't seem like a place for a couple in their late 30s and their two year old. I like the houses in Laurelhurst and Alameda and we like that the schools are good but it just seems too far. Living in Beaverton would be too suburban like what we already have here(though half the cost). Any areas on the west side with character AND good schools?

Old 08-02-2013, 12:15 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
NW Portland! The area around Chapman Elementary is great--lots of kids too.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:41 AM

And Friendly House! http://www.friendlyhouseinc.org/programs/children/

He could also look at Arlington Heights (Ainsworth), Hillside (Chapman) neighborhoods.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 08-02-2013 at 09:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland