Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 05:46 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times

Advertisements

Really, ott. ? Vancouver is closer than King City? That's interesting because I don't think that Washington has a state income tax and a few people have mentioned that as an alternative. Is there public transportantion to Portland?

I really have learned so many things on this Board. I'm so grateful for all the advice. The board hasn't been around all that long , has it? It's almost as if it were just perfect for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 10:19 PM

14 posts, read 91,217 times
I live in a part of Tigard that is practically King City. In fact, when i walk to Safeway, I go through King City on my way there. It's a nice little area; has it's own City Hall and police station. There is a golf course in the center of the area but I'm not sure it it's 9 or 18 holes. The homes are well kept, lawns very nice. There are a number of condos as well as single story homes throughout the area. It's very peaceful, from what I can tell. My 2yr old loves it because there are a great number of people walking their dogs early in the am and she can get her fill of cute dogs!

Grocery Outlet is blocks away (great wine prices), a Hallmark/post office, coffee shop, and maybe a hearing aid, denture shop in that same strip mall. I consider the Tri-met stops to be within walking distance. I'm pretty sure there is one on 99, by Shari's (restaurant) and one by Carl's Jr (fast food) on the other side. From what I have been told, the Max line is making it's way to Tigard but I am not sure when that will actually happen.

99 traffic is miserable. I detest driving that road, so I have found my way using other routes and it is far less stressful. It is hard to make decisons on where to live using the internet as your guide. we did the same thing and it has really worked out well!

Old 11-12-2007, 10:58 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,575 times
I think Vancouver is closer by about 2 miles. But from what you've said you're looking for, you'd be better off in downtown Vancouver (downtown specifically, not the rest of it), where it's very city like, than in King City. Downtown Vancouver has a lot of new condos, lofts, etc. They have flexcars, a farmer's market, etc. Since you're retired and don't need to commute you might like it. You're still going to need your car to make trips to Portland as the public transport isn't that great. People in Clark County seem to like to vote down things that would improve public transportation. You can GET to Portland but both Vancouver and King City will make it so that it takes so long it's not really worth it as you'd spend eons getting there, particularly if you're just coming to stroll, eat out or shop!

I still think you'd like Multnomah Village, but downtown Vancouver is still worth a look if you're looking into suburbs of Portland. Unless, you're looking for night life, because the sidewalks roll up very early there

Shop The Heart Of Vancouver (http://www.pdxguide.com/heartofvancouver/ - broken link)
Portland Neighborhoods: Vancouver, WA
Portland Oregon Real Estate - NW Realty Group - New Construction, New Homes in Portland, Oregon

Last edited by oldtintype; 11-12-2007 at 11:12 PM..

Old 11-13-2007, 10:33 AM

30 posts, read 118,253 times
Portland is a crime ridden mess. There was an MSNBC special on how it's the street kids destination of choice because Heroin is readily available and the cops don't harass them.

You see, it would be politically incorrect to clean up the streets. Much better to have used needles littering the streets and puke in the store's doorways.

Portland is a disgusting town that has been ruined by Californicators and crowds.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:07 PM

252 posts, read 953,384 times
King City is a nice retirement community surrounded by the suburban sprawl and strip malls of Tigard and Sherwood. The traffic is horrible on Hwy 99E in either direction at any hour of the day or night.

BTW, that would be RockWOOD the previous poster is talking about. Not Rockridge.

Public transportation in Portland really depends on where you live and where you want to go.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:47 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee151 View Post
BTW, that would be RockWOOD the previous poster is talking about. Not Rockridge.
Oops. Rockridge is a part of Oakland--I'm always slipping up and wanting to call Rockwood Rockridge because the names are so similar!

Old 11-15-2007, 11:00 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,949 times
1. Ignore jimg1126, I've never seen them make an intelligent post with any useful information.

2. I'd have to agree with oldtintype that Multnomah Village would be worth looking at carefully.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:36 PM

850 posts, read 3,717,131 times
Vancouver, WA is a nice little city if you're in the old downtown. All of the other areas are just subdivisions. At this time, there is no public transportation to Portland other than at rush hour times. By the way, the drive from Vancouver to Portland is one of the WORST in the Portland area (that is, during rush hour). But, if you're not going to be working in Portland, I think that Vancouver is a good option.

There is also a very nice 55+ apartment building in downtown Portland in the very trendy Pearl District. I believe that it sits right by the broadway bridge in a new high-story building. I once looked there mistakenly for an apartment and I think that they cost around $600 a month. Unfortunately, I can't think of the name.

And, no, we don't have a lot of gang activity and crime in Portland. We do have some crime, but just like any other city does. Surprisingly enough, you are going to see more pan-handling than in NYC. I took a trip to NYC and thought for sure that I would see street bums everwhere. But in fact, I hardly saw any! I guess Hollywood was lying again.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:40 PM

850 posts, read 3,717,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimg1126 View Post
Portland is a crime ridden mess. There was an MSNBC special on how it's the street kids destination of choice because Heroin is readily available and the cops don't harass them.

You see, it would be politically incorrect to clean up the streets. Much better to have used needles littering the streets and puke in the store's doorways.

Portland is a disgusting town that has been ruined by Californicators and crowds.

Portland is not a digusting town, and crowds??? Where? Maybe you haven't been to other major metropolises. However, I couldn't stop laughing when you said Californicators, and it is partially true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland