Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 03:20 PM

106 posts, read 159,132 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be visiting Portland a few times for an average of two weeks at a time before making a permanent move.

I've looked into extended stay companies and also checked Airbnb for alternatives to hotel rooms.

The extended stay company I found is very difficult to deal with, but they seem to have the best deal. I'm concerned though, because their contract isn't well written, and I haven't had a good experience with getting answers to my questions, so I'm a little bit leery. I found one old review (2009) of the company that complains of overcharges and difficulties getting refunds.

Airbnb has all kinds of listings, from very strange to very attractive, but the idea of living in someone else's home, which most of the listings involve is kind of creepy to me too.

Does anyone have any experience with these types of rentals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 03:41 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,043 times
We dealt with this company a year ago: index.html. We stayed in Beaverton and were satisfied with our experience.

Edit: That link doesn't look so good, but it works. The company is Extended Stay Northwest.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:32 AM

106 posts, read 159,132 times
Thank you for the recommendation, Rob. It looks good, I'll check it out.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:38 AM

156 posts, read 235,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West2South View Post
Thank you for the recommendation, Rob. It looks good, I'll check it out.
I have been looking for the same thing. Here is a link to the cheapest that looks decent....they have multiple locations around Portland but of course for these prices they are not downtown. They appear to be reputable but I haven't stayed there yet. Personally I was hoping to get closer in but it is still tourist season and I have a dog. The ones on AirBnB are frequently overpriced because of AirBnB's fees being passed on to you and most involve sharing a bathroom with *many* people. There are a few that are the ENTIRE apt or maybe a guesthouse or basement unit with it's own facilities...but they do tend to charge a lot for these. If the one you mentioned is from Craigslist, I believe I called them as well. In general when you are looking at short term furnished rentals, be sure to pay close attention to the terms.....are there cleaning fees? (these can be a lot! even if you leave it clean some will still charge you these fees) If there is a deposit make sure it is refundable. I have seen some nice sublets on Criagslist too and that is a way to get a great downtown location BUT you usually have to already be there to snag it as soon as it is posted. You really don't want to send money to a stranger off a Craigslist ad....way too many scams. But if you get there and stay in a hotel for a few days you might get lucky and pounce on a great deal for one of the sublets. Also sometimes the sublet can turn into a long term rental if the subletter's lease is expiring and you work a deal on a new lease for yourself on the apt with the prop manager......it is a good way to try it out first.

I can say that it has been so busy with high tourist season that I have delayed my arrival in Portland because I could not find temp lodging. I think it is easing up now. The extended stay link is here and they have 2 in Beaverton, one by the airport and one in Vancouver. They told me the one in Tigard is the nicer one, but the rates are a bit more. Ask to talk to one of the managers, I am told they might work you a deal especially if you are staying a month or more. So far I have not done this but the clerk told me $59.99 a nite (after the tax is removed. If you stay over 30 days I believe Oregon does not charge the hotel tax, which is quite a lot, 12.5%? maybe)
Portland Vancouver Extended Stay Hotels | Extended Stay America

Old 03-02-2014, 10:11 PM

45 posts, read 90,823 times
Thanks for the links, found them useful! I figured I'd do some searching before posting the same question that's already been asked 100 times before =)

Old 03-02-2014, 10:19 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
If you look for whole houses on Airbnb, might be better for what you are looking for or one where there is a separate entrance into the room you are renting. You can also find people who are renting out their guest houses, which make for great extended stay options that aren't typical hotels.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:04 PM

892 posts, read 2,391,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West2South View Post
Airbnb has all kinds of listings, from very strange to very attractive, but the idea of living in someone else's home, which most of the listings involve is kind of creepy to me too.

Does anyone have any experience with these types of rentals?
If airbnb squicks you out, you could always look into VRBO as well:

Portland Oregon Vacation Rentals by Owner, Portland Oregon VRBO®, Portland OR Lodging, Portland OR Condos, Portland OR Accommodations

Most folks who list there, you're not so much "living in their house" and using their furnished rental house or their rental addition (extra apartment, etc) just like a beach house kind of situation. There's generally lots of feedback to read on any property you're interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland