Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 06:14 PM

17,620 posts, read 22,578,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Actually, I did use one of those little lights cyclists use on their helmets. Only I attached it to my purse strap. I used to sometimes see people holding small flashlights. One concern was stepping in the large puddles that form in the intersections of street corners in the dark. No one wanted to do that! Or slip on wet leaves. Or step on a cat.

One year in December when I got on a plane at Monterey, CA airport, it was 72 degrees. When I got off the plane at O'Hare Airport, Chicago, it was 8 degrees...
It was so windy the wind blew me to the train station. The train was taking me to Great Lakes Naval School for training...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 07:34 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,379,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post

One year in December when I got on a plane at Monterey, CA airport, it was 72 degrees. When I got off the plane at O'Hare Airport, Chicago, it was 8 degrees...
It was so windy the wind blew me to the train station. The train was taking me to Great Lakes Naval School for training...
Awww, poor you. But a bit of trivia, O'Hare is actually in Rosemont IL and not Chicago proper. So technically you weren't in the Windy City but the Windy Suburbs.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:55 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,102,216 times
Quote:
Awww, poor you. But a bit of trivia, O'Hare is actually in Rosemont IL and not Chicago proper. So technically you weren't in the Windy City but the Windy Suburbs.
When you look at city boundaries, the airport itself is always included in with Chicago's city limits.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:36 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,431,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Ya gotta love the "Whatever". Kinda like an eyeroll.
Oh, that definately was an eyeroll.
The kind of eyeroll you give someone when you realize they are completely not worth arguing with for the obvious reasons.
The GBS "wrestling with a pig" eyeroll.
The kind of eyeroll you give to someone that has become a bit of a laughingstock.
That's exactly the kind of eyeroll I meant to give.
Thank you for describing it so aptly.

How do you know that Portland didn't choose that type of lamp for just that kind of reason?
Portland has done weirder things.
Combatting light pollution is one of those feel good things that Portland just loves to do.
Good free sustainable eco-friendly PR.

But the main reason is that they cost less to operate.

I seems like that LPSV lights are typically used within a 30 to 50 mile radius around observatories to reduce "light pollution".
Palomar is an example.
I don't know of any obsevatories around Portland that are important enough to warrant that kind of light control but there may be some.

I did find this list of observatories in Oregon and it does state that that there is one by Sunriver that benifits from the control of light pollution.
Astronomical Observatories In The Pacific Northwest

It doesn't state how how they go about it though.
Maybe they make everyone nearby turn off their lights at 10pm or something.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 09-11-2013 at 10:12 PM..

Old 09-12-2013, 01:47 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,059,405 times
Quote:
Actually, I did use one of those little lights cyclists use on their helmets. Only I attached it to my purse strap. I used to sometimes see people holding small flashlights. One concern was stepping in the large puddles that form in the intersections of street corners in the dark. No one wanted to do that! Or slip on wet leaves. Or step on a cat.
In my case, I carry a light so I don't step on the big ass slugs that are crawling around. Gross.

I read somewhere, that they installed new lights (shoot, forgot which city), which makes the lights less harsh (as in those orangy looking ones). Something about the new lights, you can see better, but it doesn't give off light upwards nor make it blaring into your home. Aka light pollution. So someone is doing something about it. (Now I have to find where I read that).

Granted, I think where I live is dark anyways. I can't see a darn thing. Almost ran over some lady and her dog the other day as they stood there, in the pitch black darkness.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:09 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,295,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
When you look at city boundaries, the airport itself is always included in with Chicago's city limits.
Yep. Just like Knoxville Airport is City Property but located in Alcoa. Why? Because Alcoa is Beer and Wine only and the Hotel at the airport wanted to have Hard Liquor.

And he was in the Windy City as O'Hare like Knoxville is in the Chicago City Limits. The city of Rosemont just surrounds it.

I sure miss the games at United and the concerts at Rosemont Horizon.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:17 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,115,391 times
Like it's more proper to say that Chicago doesn't have an airport? I'm sure that'd make everyone happier.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:42 PM

Yeah, the people of Rosemont claim O'Hare as their own and have been ever since it was built. There is or was the last time I looked a sign in front of one of the entrances of the airport that has been there forever that says "O'Hare Airport City of Rosemont Illinois" or something to that effect. And that was before GPS or Google maps or the Internet.

But you know Chicago, famous for it's clout. It's going to claim the airport for itself. I don't really think it matters. No one has ever not been able to find it no matter what the maps say.

End of silly argument.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:00 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,295,180 times
Actually Chicago has two Airports. I try to fly into Midway.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Actually Chicago has two Airports. I try to fly into Midway.
Midway is good if you are flying into downtown Chicago but O'Hare has the most flights so most people don't consider it. When I was a kid, my dad had a friend who flew small charter planes that flew in and out of Midway. He would sometimes take us up for short rides over the city. Those were so much fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland