U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-28-2013, 04:39 PM

4 posts, read 3,474 times
Default Income restricted apartments

Hi, I recently moved to the area in "the couve". It's nice and all but I'm 21 so it's a little sleepy for me perfect for my mom and siblings but me not so much... With that said I'm very interested in a income restricted studio in and around downtown Portland. Has anyone rented from one? And which ones would you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 12:59 PM

7,867 posts, read 5,670,185 times
Gosh, it's too bad you ended up in an apartment where you are chained inside your unit and not allowed to go out into town to do interesting things or meet people. I can see why you want to move.

There are plenty of buildings where the occupants are really noisy, so you won't have any problem finding a place that you like. In fact, if you read the rental section of C-D, you can find out what buildings have tenants complaining about the noise level. That will clue you in on a good place for you to rent.

Low income apartments do tend to be full of noisier people and lots of kids, so unless it is a building for senior citizens, most of them will do nicely for you.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:52 PM

2,158 posts, read 3,753,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Low income apartments do tend to be full of noisier people and lots of kids, so unless it is a building for senior citizens, most of them will do nicely for you.
Geez, stereotype much?

To the OP, Portland has several median income tax credit apartments that are either mixed in with market rate apartments or stand alone. Unlike what was assumed above most don't take section 8 (not that section 8 automatically means noise or kids) and are priced at the average for the Portland area rather than the neighborhood they're in. What would surprise many people is that they're filled with NORMAL "average" people and are not any noisier than any other apartment building.

An example would be the Sitka. The wait lists for these buildings tend to be fairly long at this point but there are options such as Shaver Green in NE and others around town that aren't as long.

Some of the buildings DO take section 8 and seem to have catered to people with mental illness (not saying that's bad--everyone needs a home) so you'll want to check out each building on an individual basis and see if it's what you're looking for. Housing connections is a good resource but many buildings don't show up on there such as the Bookmark Apartments which have a few income restricted units, or the Sitka or the Ramona, Lovejoy Station, etc. You can also sometimes find units on craigslist if you do a search for "income restrictions."

Here are the websites for two tax credit buildings that probably defy the stereotype that Oregonwoodsmoke is thinking of and are a good place to start. Thesitka.com theramona.com

Others you can find on the housing connections website or the home again website (they list both subsidized public housing units AND various income restricted buildings).

Most of the income restricted buildings cap eligibility at 60 to 80% of the median income for the area, which would be as of last year $30,000 for one person or $43,000 for a family of four at 60% and $40,000 for one person and $58,000 for a family of four at 80%.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:33 PM

4 posts, read 3,474 times
Thanks! I will try craigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland