Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 07:29 PM

110 posts, read 202,107 times

Advertisements

I was initially intent on moving to Seattle, but I'm reconsidering due to much of the city being plagued with annoying airplane noise. I now know why its called Jet City. Does the downtown or inner SE are an experience much plane noise? What are the worst areas for plane noise? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 08:01 PM

780 posts, read 1,576,517 times
Plane noise in PDX isn't all that bad, due to the runway configurations being how they are. Most noise is funneled over the Columbia, industrial areas, or natural areas. The only area that I know can be really annoying is to the east/SE of the airport in Parkrose, Fairview, and Gresham. Other parts of town aren't bad at all.

I don't know about the airport in Hillsboro, though.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:08 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderbygrace View Post

I don't know about the airport in Hillsboro, though.
Only during the air show. Most of the rest of time it's not really a problem.

When I lived in Downtown Gresham I never really had any noise complaints about the airport.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:57 PM

780 posts, read 1,576,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Only during the air show. Most of the rest of time it's not really a problem.

When I lived in Downtown Gresham I never really had any noise complaints about the airport.
My son practices in the evenings at Gresham HS, and it's just amazing watching all the birds drop in for their final approach, easily close enough to determine which carrier they're from.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:25 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Jet noise in Seattle? Where in Seattle do you live? I have never experienced much issue with planes in much of that region.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:30 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,637 times
It's called Jet City (if, indeed, that's what it IS called) because Boeing is based there, not because of excessive plane noise.
It's certainly not an issue where I live in Portland.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:38 AM

775 posts, read 1,258,855 times
Boeing is in Seattle...hence the term "Jet City"? Boeing is so big and the term so well known there are several businesses and restaurants that use the term as part of their name. Nothing to do with plane/airport noise
Unless you live in the N Portland area right next to the airport, noise wont be a problem there either

Old 08-30-2013, 08:10 AM

110 posts, read 202,107 times
I'm in Capitol Hill. But I've heard plane noise all over downtown, Wallingford, U dist, and Kenmore. The noise isn't as loud farther up north as the planes are a bit higher up, but the noise still noticeable and is mildly annoying.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:52 AM

478 posts, read 881,538 times
If you're concerned about whether a particular area in Portland has airplane noise, go to PortlandMaps and enter the address. Then hover over the Property tab and choose Noise. You'll see how much airport noise the place gets in the 5 maps it will generate.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:12 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladderoflocus View Post
I'm in Capitol Hill. But I've heard plane noise all over downtown, Wallingford, U dist, and Kenmore. The noise isn't as loud farther up north as the planes are a bit higher up, but the noise still noticeable and is mildly annoying.
You must be very sensitive to noise cause I have never noticed it to be an issue. Anyway, just about everything in Portland is fine because almost all the flight paths run over the Columbia area. As long as you don't live in line with an airport runway you won't really notice airplanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland