Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 09:29 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
If we could crack down on the panhandlers, especially those sitting by off ramps, things would get better. Most of those people are involved with criminal organizations of some sort, actually just the panhandling racket itself is a criminal organization.
You know, I've heard this several times--that the offramp panhandlers are part of some wider organized group of panhandlers and that the illusion that they are just individuals who are down on their luck is just that--an illusion. But I don't think I've ever seen any sources cited for this information. Seems like it's always been hearsay.

I'm not doubting what you are saying hamellr, but this has always been a lingering question for me because I've not seen any objective reporting. Are they really organized? Anybody have any credible sources on this topic? Maybe I've just not looked in the right places for the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 09:50 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,820,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisw View Post
Not too bad if you are just worried about panhandling or violence. The street kids are the worst, both in terms of panhandling and violence. Avoid them and you'll be fine. They hang out in different places than the adult homeless and are much more likely to travel in packs.
Who are the street kids you are referring to that travel in packs? Are these gangs? My understanding of Portland is that it has relatively low crime, compared to other cities especially on the east coast. Are these street kids a new phenomenon?

Old 09-09-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
You know, I've heard this several times--that the offramp panhandlers are part of some wider organized group of panhandlers and that the illusion that they are just individuals who are down on their luck is just that--an illusion. But I don't think I've ever seen any sources cited for this information. Seems like it's always been hearsay.

I'm not doubting what you are saying hamellr, but this has always been a lingering question for me because I've not seen any objective reporting. Are they really organized? Anybody have any credible sources on this topic? Maybe I've just not looked in the right places for the information.
We have the offramp panhandlers here too, in SE MI. Most people think they are not down on their luck, but "professional" panhandlers not attached to any larger group, just "scamming entrepreneurs" taking advantage of places where people might stop and toss money at them. Here it is legal to panhandle on the offramps as long as they are not standing in the roadway. They have to stand on sidewalks or medians, still very dangerous in my view.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I was approached for money quite a number of times over the years I worked downtown. It might be that some panhandlers are braver when it comes to asking women for money. Maybe they feel women are more sympathetic or more easily intimidated. I don't know if these people were homeless or not but a couple of the people asking me for money were pretty scary.

There are more visible homeless people in my neighborhood these days. They don't bother anyone. But there are more panhandlers too. I got approached for money a few times in the past week when going to and from the grocery store. That's where they like to hang out. When the store personnel see them, they shoo them away.
The grocery stores here don't tolerate them in front, which is a good thing. But then they move to the parking lots and work the people walking to and from cars. You are trapped in a sense when you are going to or from your car. Not a lot of options to avoid them. Around here I have also seen them panhandling people at gas pumps at the larger stations. Again, you are trapped if you are pumping your own gas. The store personnel move them along, but they return.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:00 AM

Back to my original question, is the increase in homeless numbers downtown creating a problem with tourism? Also, if someone goes for a walk in a city park, are they hassled by panhandlers? If so, that might be more scary since parks can be more isolated once you are inside. Just trying to get a feel for what it's like to walk around Portland as a tourist and trying to enjoy the city which prides itself on "walkability."

Old 09-09-2013, 10:15 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Back to my original question, is the increase in homeless numbers downtown creating a problem with tourism? Also, if someone goes for a walk in a city park, are they hassled by panhandlers? If so, that might be more scary since parks can be more isolated once you are inside. Just trying to get a feel for what it's like to walk around Portland as a tourist and trying to enjoy the city which prides itself on "walkability."
There is a high likelihood you will get asked for money. I worked downtown for almost 4 years and was probably asked for money 80% of the time I walked to the office. Morning, lunchtime, and evening. When they would ask me for money I would look them in the eye and say "Sorry." They would always just go on to the next person, so I got used to it.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:48 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,661 times
It is not a scary situation at all, x2zy, it is just disturbing and sad to run into so much untreated mental illness on a daily basis. Obviously, this is a low priority for the US.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:54 AM

775 posts, read 1,259,309 times
Quote:
Who are the street kids you are referring to that travel in packs? Are these gangs? My understanding of Portland is that it has relatively low crime, compared to other cities especially on the east coast. Are these street kids a new phenomenon?
They've been around for years just not as prominent. At first, they stayed (for the most part) in Pioneer Courthouse Square. Now they are pretty much everywhere downtown. They were always more "chatty" And assertive with people but now they've gotten really aggressive. I worked with juvenile offenders (as young as 11) who were very very involved with and fiercely loyal to their street families (when they weren't locked up or in foster care) and when they ran away they were the first people they sought out.
I don't know if most of these folks are necessarily "homeless". I think it's a trend here, and Eugene too, where its a lifestyle option. They truly believe they are a family and each person has their own role and purpose. It's an interesting dynamic indeed.
Not a new phenomenon, definitely an evolving one

Old 09-09-2013, 10:59 AM

775 posts, read 1,259,309 times
Quote:
The grocery stores here don't tolerate them in front, which is a good thing. But then they move to the parking lots and work the people walking to and from cars. You are trapped in a sense when you are going to or from your car. Not a lot of options to avoid them. Around here I have also seen them panhandling people at gas pumps at the larger stations. Again, you are trapped if you are pumping your own gas. The store personnel move them along, but they return.
When I lived in LA this was the norm. Going to the gas station was always a little scary. The minute you jumped out to pump gas you would be hounded by the panhandlers. You really didn't see many on the off ramps, some sure, but the gas stations were bad because they knew they had your attention at least for the duration of the time you were stuck there.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:11 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
You can bet everything you own, that any activity that makes money "under the table," has a criminal organization of some sort behind it.

Panhandlers, Inc.

Will Work for Food | San Diego Reader

Even if there wasn't an organization behind it, many of these people have criminal records of some sort. Sign-wielding panhandlers pepper interstate ramps

I've seen a drug deal with one of these guys in Beaverton once. But you are right, there do not seem to be any credible sources to back such assertions up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland