Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 05:00 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,097,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
How much would it cost to enforce this? Would you need to do it through checkpoints? Have meter maids going through the bike racks? How much would a program like this cost? Once you factor in the cost, I am betting it would come to a negative or at most break even and not be able to cover any cost for infrastructure.
Any government program should only break even. As for enforcement, they're vehicles. That's who should enforce it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 05:06 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,017,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I know that the initial question was about a "tax" but as I said, I'm all for registration. For identification purposes. I'm not interested in it being a tax revenue. Personally, I think we all pay our fair share, and even though I'm not a biker, I'm happy to support the cause.

Though many programs are voluntary, that doesn't mean it can't be required.
I would only support it if it were a voluntary thing and was used for bike theft recovery. Steve thinks it could be used for bike infrastructure but has yet to show how something like this would cover the cost of the program, let alone infrastructure.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:11 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,416,223 times
As far as the riding bikes on the sidewalk being illegal, all I get out of whats above (that huge useless wall of text that someone posted) is that you have to be careful and follow the rules.
You have to be safe if you ride on the sidewalk.

It does not appear that riding bikes on the sidewalk is illegal in Portland, other than a small area downtown...

It is illegal in other cities in Oregon, but since this the Portland forum, I have to assume we are talking about Portland here.

Here's some nice discussions about that and other things.

Bicycle Law Articles | Oregon Bicycle Laws | Swanson, Thomas, Coon & Newton

http://www.stc-law.com/bike_sdwlks.html

http://portlandafoot.org/w/Riding_bi...land_sidewalks

http://blog.oregonlive.com/myoregon/...n_bicycle.html

If I am wrong please show me exactly why please.

When I was a little kid, I visted some cousins in San Jose California.
They got new bikes for their birthdays and they had to go down to the firehouse where the fireman put some kind of serialized sticker on their bikes and logged a description in a book.
No fee for that.

I think that the above suggested 1% to 2% dedicated surcharge/fee on bikes and accessories totally devoted to bike infrastructure etc is a good way to start.
And we would not have to establish the huge money wasting government beureacracy to handle bike licensing.
Pretty low key, and Portland could get that implemented pretty quickly without wasting time "introducing legislation" and all that jazz.
I think that would go over huge here.
Look how easy it was to pass that stupid "Arts Tax".
All we have to do is to make sure that the slimy politicians can't get their corrupt money grubbing hands on it, and divert it to something else.

Give it a trial run here and if it works? Great. Go statewide with it.
If it doesn't, we can get rid of it without involving state political machinery.
It seems that our legislature has enough to do with out dealing with more BS that will never pass.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 09-19-2013 at 05:30 PM..

Old 09-19-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I would only support it if it were a voluntary thing and was used for bike theft recovery. Steve thinks it could be used for bike infrastructure but has yet to show how something like this would cover the cost of the program, let alone infrastructure.
Well, I don't agree with his assessment. My concern isn't bike theft recovery, my concern is, if a bicyclist causes an accident ... how do I identify it?

Old 09-19-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Well, I don't agree with his assessment. My concern isn't bike theft recovery, my concern is, if a bicyclist causes an accident ... how do I identify it?
Usually the bicyclist is there in pain. Problem with any form of identification for bikes, where would you put it to make it visible, it isn't like a car where a plate is easy to read. Also, a biker is usually identified the same way you would identify a pedestrian.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:55 PM

But a biker can be a lot further away a lot quicker than a pedestrian. And should be wearing a helmet. That renders them fairly indescribable.

Most licenses I've seen are under the back of the seat, or on the front, under the handlebars.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
But a biker can be a lot further away a lot quicker than a pedestrian. And should be wearing a helmet. That renders them fairly indescribable.

Most licenses I've seen are under the back of the seat, or on the front, under the handlebars.
It would be easier to describe what a bike looks like, type of bag they have, body descriptions, hair color, etc. You can still describe what someone looks like that is riding a bike.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:22 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,332,881 times
Quote:

The plate I had for my bike was under the back seat. It was visible from pretty far away. And the bike had a sticker on it for registration ID as well.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:02 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,609,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
[b]

Bicycle means a vehicle that:
(1) Is designed to be operated on the ground on wheels;
(2) Has a seat or saddle for use of the rider;
(3) Is designed to travel with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground;
(4) Is propelled exclusively by human power; and
(5) Has every wheel more than 14 inches in diameter or two tandem wheels either of which is more than 14 inches in diameter. [1983 c.338 §22]
[/font]
My four year old is currently riding a bike with 16" wheels. Nice to know she'll be pulled over while joyriding. Makes a lot of sense. Make sure to get your scooter and big wheel legislation going too.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
It would be easier to describe what a bike looks like, type of bag they have, body descriptions, hair color, etc. You can still describe what someone looks like that is riding a bike.
Not if you're lying on the ground and they're pedaling away from you. But sure, clothing and accoutrements are always the best way to pinpoint a criminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland