Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 03:10 AM

31 posts, read 222,422 times

Advertisements

Driving a 22' truck next week from Phoenix to Portland. What's the recommended route? I know the obvious over to LA and I-5 up, but I was thinking of maybe going up through Salt Lake City, tucking into Idaho and coming west from there.

I don't have time for stops and I'm trying to avoid traffic, but it would be nice to see some different scenery. Can anyone think of imaginative ways to:

1) keep the drive time between 20-25 hours
2) not have any problems with a large heavy truck on the route (no bad roads!)
3) avoid particularly bad traffic areas
4) see something nice from the road

Thanks very much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 05:05 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,043 times
The tricky part of the Utah-Idaho route for you will be getting around the Grand Canyon and onto I-15 north toward SLC. Once you're on I-15, it's interstates all the way, so the roads will be good. But getting to I-15 may involve some smaller highways like US89 or US93, or going halfway across California and then cutting back to the northeast. I don't know what US89 or US93 are like.

The I-5 route really isn't bad, and it does have interesting and varied scenery as you go from the Mojave Desert to the Central Valley to Mt. Shasta and the Siskiyou range to the Willamette Valley. I've never driven the Utah-Idaho route so I don't know how it compares.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:14 PM

899 posts, read 2,941,350 times
We drove the the utah-idaho route a few years ago from tucson, the salt lake city and las vegas are your biggest hang ups in a an odd sorta of way its the most direct to Portland..Go up to 40 and catch 395 up to vegas and the 15 straight north till you hit 84 north of slc..
I-5 is boring but easy...I think your going to need more than 25 hours...
good luck and safe driving.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:39 PM

59 posts, read 136,855 times
I just did this back in July. I picked it because I mostly wanted to avoid LA. Here's the route I took:

I-10 to Blythe, CA, head North on US-95
US-95 to Needles, CA, head West on I-40
I-40 to Barstow, CA, head South for about 4 miles on I-15 until you hit CA-58
CA-58 to Bakersfield, CA, head North on CA-99
CA-99 to Sacramento, CA
switch over to I-5 in Sacramento and follow it all the way into Portland.

The hardest part might be the US-95/I-40 segment. US-95 has a lot of hilly sections, and there aren't very many gas stations between Blythe and Barstow. I'm also told CA-99 has better traffic than I-5. I've never driven that section of I-5 to compare, but I can say that CA-99 wasn't bad at all.

Took me around 21-22 hours of actual driving.

Hope that helps!

Added:
Was thinking about it some more, and you might want to start off taking either I-17 North to Flagstaff to I-40, or US-60 to US-93 to I-40 across to Barstow, CA. It's a bit more roundabout, but I think it'll be easier to drive in a truck than US-95.

Last edited by PHXtoPDX; 10-05-2009 at 10:56 PM..

Old 10-07-2009, 08:14 PM

7 posts, read 45,776 times
I usually just head into LA on the 10 and than take the 99 (Trucker freeway) all the way up. It will merge with the 5 a few times and sometimes will be better to take the 5 in nor Cal due to the 99 taking side trips. almost the whole way through Cal all you see are truck stops. (there are alot of semi's on the road so watch out.

That is the common route for the truckers that drive the x-mas trees from OR to AZ

you might want to find a way around LA and time it right in the winter because the passes in nor Cal could get closed off form the snow.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:27 PM

682 posts, read 1,578,281 times
I have taken all three routes (LA, LV, SLC). I enjoyed going through Idaho and SLC the most as far as the scenery goes but if you are in any kind of hurry, go through (around) LA. You will be kicking yourself through all of Southern Utah and Northern Arizona as you blow through countless opportunities to turn off and see a lot of amazing scenery (most of which you can't see from the highway). Also the roads are narrow and winding going around the Grand Canyon.

Drive safe.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:18 AM

716 posts, read 2,816,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXtoPDX View Post
I just did this back in July. I picked it because I mostly wanted to avoid LA. Here's the route I took:

I-10 to Blythe, CA, head North on US-95
US-95 to Needles, CA, head West on I-40
I-40 to Barstow, CA, head South for about 4 miles on I-15 until you hit CA-58
CA-58 to Bakersfield, CA, head North on CA-99
CA-99 to Sacramento, CA
switch over to I-5 in Sacramento and follow it all the way into Portland.
I agree with the above and LA should definately be avoided during the day. However I'd cut over to I-5 at Bakersfield.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:32 PM

31 posts, read 222,422 times
Thanks for all your comments.

I ended up going up the 93 to Kingman & Vegas - had to take a detour on the 68/95(?) since trucks can't cross Hoover dam - and then heading up through Vegas to SLC to Boise and through Oregon on the 84. I think since I did a lot of the driving at night I missed some good scenery, but I did get to see Beaver (south of SLC) through Mountain Home ID in the daytime, and that was nice. Drive time was 12 hours Monday and about 18 hours Tuesday.

There's construction everywhere, but the worst freeway section was in Boise. It didn't last long, though. The truck didn't like the uphills around the AZ/NV border but seemed to do fine with the grades coming through OR.

Question for anyone that's been through UT/ID in the spring/summer - is all that grassland ever completely green?

Old 10-12-2009, 08:00 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
It's generally a very arid area. If you drive back, you might consider going through Burns, Oregon, then turning south through central Nevada. It's a very lonely, remote drive - but there is VERY little traffic, and the roads are generally well-maintained and little-used.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:35 AM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
I wish I had taken that route, tablemtn, when driving from PDX to PHX last month. Because it was summer, and I had a 26-foot Penske towing a car, I decided not to chance it. Turns out the Penske truck was amazing (they gave me a truck with only 39K on it, and it was a dream).

Note to anyone driving from Pendleton to Ontario, Oregon at night: DON'T do that right now. Tons of construction. It was absolutely harrowing, long slow downgrade with curves and narrow lanes due to construction. No light whatsoever except for headlights. Traffic backs up. A stop in Ontario is necessary because we were advised that cows get on the highway between Ontario and Boise and if it's at night you can't see them. We didn't chance that.

The route was I-80 to I-15, then 95 south to Blythe, and the I-10 over to PHX: Troutdale to Ontario, Ontario to Boise, Boise to Fillmore UT, Fillmore to Las Vegas. Due to unforeseen circumstances (my ridiculous former bank and its antiquated computer system) we had to go south to Blythe, then across to PHX.

We had planned to go Las Vegas to Kingman, Wickenburg to PHX (Hwy 93), and I wish we'd been able to do that.

Had we not been driving a 26-foot truck we would have gone from St. George over to Flag and down to PHX but thanks to this forum we knew to avoid that route with a huge truck and a towed car.

When I drive to PDX within the next year I'll be taking the route PHXtoPDX described, but cut over to I-5 at Bakersfield like Dave said. 99 is old and has lots of seams and potholes. At least it did the last time I drove it, and there is no reason to assume that has changed. That road's been bad since I was in college in NorCal in the 70's and I-5 didn't exist.

BTW, the roads here in Phoenix are a dream compared to Oregon and California. Sometimes on the freeway I think I'm floating it's that good.

Last edited by pathrunner; 10-25-2010 at 05:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland