Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 09:41 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copsgirl73 View Post
Safe? Depends on where you are. Like PP said there are bad pockets all over, including near UP.
For various definitions of "Safe." Most East Coasters would laugh at Portland's "worse" neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 10:34 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
For various definitions of "Safe." Most East Coasters would laugh at Portland's "worse" neighborhood.
That is very true, I remember laughing at how dangerous people thought North Portland was when I first moved from the east coast to the west. I would usually say, when the news uses shootings and robberies from that neighborhood as nothing more than a news filler between better stories, then it is a dangerous neighborhood.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:12 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Yeah, but the way East Coasters talk when they come out west you'd think that they all grew up in Camden or the South Bronx.

North Portland of course isn't that dangerous these days. Violent crime in general in Portland isn't that high, murders are fairly low. Most gang-related shootings in Portland rarely result in injuries(they're mostly horrible shots). There aren't a lot of murders related to the drug trade as some other US cities since the market here is spread out and fairly decentralized. Even the housing projects in New Columbia look pretty nice.

On the other hand though property crime in Portland is pretty high. For the most part thus means your car window might get smashed if you leave anything in it. And while I found North Portland to be fine for the most parts and liked living there, depending on where one lives in the area can depend of your own tolerance for a little sketchy behavior.

I lived off Interstate in Overlook for four years and just a block or two to the west was fairly nice middle class(or even wealthy) old craftsman homes and a safe pleasant neighborhood. On the other hand I had neighbors that were straight out of Breaking Bad(and liked to ride their motorbike at 3 am), the occasional crackhead in my yard, and an interesting cast of characters coming down the street from the no-tell motels on Interstate. Didn't really bother me all that much, nor was I that scared by the occasional gunshots on the corner when I lived off North Williams(now basically gentrified and safe for New Seasons shoppers).

So while I found the area fine for the most part and spent plenty of time in other areas like Kenton and St Johns, I'd say that some people looking for a little more suburban bliss might be put off by certain parts of North Portland. And some of the schools up there have bad reputations if you've got kids. But if you're young and looking for cheaper rent or home it can be a fun area.(Though only cheap in comparison and near Mississippi is expensive as anywhere these days).

Last edited by Deezus; 10-02-2013 at 08:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland