Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 06:48 PM

50 posts, read 80,329 times

Advertisements

I've found a few homes in the Gresham neighborhood that my husband and I like but we don't really know the area. Can anyone gives us any information on it. We have a little girl so we want to make sure it's family friendly, but I still have access to stores and such without having to drive almost an hour. Any info would be very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 07:57 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,039,566 times
It's not the most sought after town. It's an ok town, mostly lower income. It's not as dangerous as an inner city ghetto but as a mother of a toddler, you couldn't pay me to live there. If your are not living next to a meth lab/dealer you are going nuts from all the airplane traffic noise.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:18 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,644,355 times
Gresham isnt all bad. Houses I would live in start at 350K. If its a cheap mid 60's to early 70's home you probably wouldnt like the neighborhood.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:22 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,520,507 times
Depends on where specifically in Gresham you are talking about. Gresham is soon to be Oregons second largest city. Stay south of Division and east of 223rd/Eastman and you'll be fine.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:45 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,463,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Depends on where specifically in Gresham you are talking about. Gresham is soon to be Oregons second largest city. Stay south of Division and east of 223rd/Eastman and you'll be fine.
Is Gresham annexing some unincorporated areas into their city limits? Because Eugene and Salem still have over 50,000 people on Gresham, so they'd be growing by over 50 percent of their current population to become the second largest city...

Old 10-04-2013, 09:16 PM

775 posts, read 1,255,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
It's not the most sought after town. It's an ok town, mostly lower income. It's not as dangerous as an inner city ghetto but as a mother of a toddler, you couldn't pay me to live there. If your are not living next to a meth lab/dealer you are going nuts from all the airplane traffic noise.
Ditto. If someone bought me a home and said it was in Gresham I woud politely decline.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:21 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,400,961 times
The problem with Gresham is many people mistake it for East Portland or Parkrose. Most of the problems are in those two areas because they're cheap and that is where "the poor" have to live due to finances.

It's a little sketchy along 181st between Glisan down to about Stark and along major streets going west. Because again it's low income and that's where "the poor" live. Gresham is a mix of these poor neighborhoods, firmly middle class neighborhoods about half of which have been built in the past two decades during the building booms, and a large number of neighborhoods that date from the post WWII building boom. The Southwest Neighborhood is a good example of a newish suburb with cookie-cutter houses, while the Northwest Neighborhood is full of nicer houses that date from the 1950s. Kelly Creek Neighborhood is a combination of both - older 1950-1970's houses, most in good shape, coupled with an infill of apartments and newer houses because people wanted their kids to go to Barlow High School instead of Gresham High School.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:35 PM

32,539 posts, read 47,619,487 times
It's OK, excellent shopping, really heavy traffic. Every store you could ever want has a presence there in one of the multitude of shopping centers.

The state of Oregon has funneled all the traffic going to Mt Hood and all the traffic going to and from Central Oregon right through the middle of Gresham. Did I mention really heavy traffic? Including heavy cargo trucks.

There is some sort of train thing for commuters running through the middle of town. I haven't noticed any parking for it, but I haven't been looking, either.

It's close to the mountains and all the mountain stuff: skiing, hiking, fishing, camping, very pretty scenery.

Some areas are extremely nice and look costly. Some of the areas around are rural, small farms, horse properties, small acreages.

I suggest that you go and look for yourself. That's the only way to know if it suits you.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:59 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,520,507 times
It was going to be in about 2000, apparently annexation of Orient/Powell Valley/Springwater and Pleasant Valley failed or has not occurred yet. They were trying to pretty much take all of east Multnomah county out to the Sandy River east and the Clackamas county line south .

Gresham is not that bad. I think Gresham suffers from "Detroit syndrome". None of my friends have ever been to Detroit yet they always have something to say about Detroit in a negative light. Something like "Tacoma is the Detroit of the Pac NW", possibly true. I have been to Detroit, there are plenty of nice areas in Detroit, I though it wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. I think Gresham suffers from owning one awful area that spills over from east Portland, downtown Gresham is vibrant andcutesy with a small town feel. The houses in the older established neighborhoods are a great deal and no worse than any other Portland metro neighborhood.

Some of the people here that say Gresham is a cesspool live in areas I wouldn't find any more or less desirable than Gresham. But because they live there thy defend it. I lived in North Portland, I would take a house in east or SE Gresham any day over a house in North Portland. People say stuff like I was on 162nd and Glisan and I saw some cop cars at a 7-11. 1. That's Portland. 2. you can see a scene like that anywhere along a main thoroughfare in the metro area. Or they will say Gresham is getting tacky then rattle off streets 148th,162nd etc that aren't even in Gresham. In my opinion The worst part of the entire metro area is the areas hipsters find trendy. For some reason, people that don't know much about the area tend to believe that any thing east of 205 is Gresham.

Make your own decision, use crime mapper, look at Google Earth, google street view. Visit Gresham, don't like it, don't live there. If you find a good deal do some research and jump on it, there are good deals.

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...am-Oregon.html

Old 10-06-2013, 11:26 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,463,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
It was going to be in about 2000, apparently annexation of Orient/Powell Valley/Springwater and Pleasant Valley failed or has not occurred yet. They were trying to pretty much take all of east Multnomah county out to the Sandy River east and the Clackamas county line south.
Okay, I was curious if you referring to any annexation efforts, I know there's still a good amount unincorporated yet developed land out there in East County.

Quote:
Gresham is not that bad. I think Gresham suffers from "Detroit syndrome". None of my friends have ever been to Detroit yet they always have something to say about Detroit in a negative light. Something like "Tacoma is the Detroit of the Pac NW", possibly true. I have been to Detroit, there are plenty of nice areas in Detroit, I though it wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. I think Gresham suffers from owning one awful area that spills over from east Portland, downtown Gresham is vibrant andcutesy with a small town feel. The houses in the older established neighborhoods are a great deal and no worse than any other Portland metro neighborhood.

Some of the people here that say Gresham is a cesspool live in areas I wouldn't find any more or less desirable than Gresham. But because they live there thy defend it. I lived in North Portland, I would take a house in east or SE Gresham any day over a house in North Portland. People say stuff like I was on 162nd and Glisan and I saw some cop cars at a 7-11. 1. That's Portland. 2. you can see a scene like that anywhere along a main thoroughfare in the metro area. Or they will say Gresham is getting tacky then rattle off streets 148th,162nd etc that aren't even in Gresham. In my opinion The worst part of the entire metro area is the areas hipsters find trendy. For some reason, people that don't know much about the area tend to believe that any thing east of 205 is Gresham.

Make your own decision, use crime mapper, look at Google Earth, google street view. Visit Gresham, don't like it, don't live there. If you find a good deal do some research and jump on it, there are good deals.

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...am-Oregon.html
Gresham isn't that bad, I think though people who live in other parts of the metro just don't really have any reason to explore the parts that are nicer. I mean for a lot of people their experience with Gresham is that stretch from I-84 through town to 26 to get to Mount Hood. It's just kind of an average suburban stretch, but you miss downtown Gresham(which is fairly nice) and you don't really see the nicer residential areas..

All of East County is pretty maligned though. People act like you need a passport to go east of 82nd. The stigma about 82nd and the neighborhoods just on the east side of it are slowly fading. I live on the edge of Montavilla/Mt Tabor and people look at everything just down Stark on the other side of 82nd in a different light than just on the west side in Montavilla itself. Gresham gets lumped in with this mentality, that East County is all similar to the eastern border of Portland/Rockwood area, while in reality there's varying degrees of neighborhoods, from comfortable middle-upper-middle class suburban areas to older mid-century homes.

Both Gresham and Vancouver sort of suffer from "Inland Empire" syndrome where they're seen as the less interesting suburbs for the region. Washington County has a slightly different reputation simply because of the location of Intel and Nike and other firms. Western Clackamas County as well is famous for the wealthy areas in Lake Oswego/West Linn. Gresham on the other hand doesn't have as strong an identity in the local mindset.

Last edited by Deezus; 10-06-2013 at 12:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland