U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 05:19 PM

50 posts, read 52,159 times

Advertisements

For some reason I always wanted to move to Portland. I live in South Jersey and I'm graduating college this fall with a degree in Computer IT with some certifications as well. I'm not really liberal though. I'm really into hockey and soccer and sports in general. I like to fish and stuff as well and go to the gym to lift weights. I'm not sure I'd like the weather in Portland, I love 75-95 degree days a lot. Anyways, what's Portland really like? I should of said way more about me, sorry. What's the job outlook over there for Network Admins and the like? Would I honestly be okay supporting the Timbers when I'm currently a partial season ticket holder for RBNY? Can I live without NHL hockey?!!!!!!!!!! Ah!

Last edited by hurricane1091; 10-07-2013 at 05:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 06:57 PM

99 posts, read 126,275 times
Honestly? No..... If you do, be prepared to be disappointed with a lot of hype and pretentious people who think that PDX is some kind of 'utopia' that you are now privileged to be a part of. Overrated and boring is what you are in store for.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:06 PM

That's disappointing. I was in class when I typed this so it wasn't very detailed. Anyways, something about Seattle and Portland has been drawing my attention for the past year. I'm not very liberal or hipster-like. However, I have a wide variety of interests. I'm really into sports but am obviously working towards a computer-oriented career. I live near Philadelphia but don't really venture over there much so I can't say I am a city goer, but I feel like maybe living on the outskirt of one would be nice (I've taken the train over to Philly and ventured around, but it's boring to me there). I don't know exactly what I want. I doubt I'd like the weather in Portland. We get the most extreme weather here I feel like. It gets as low as 0 degrees in the winter and as high as triple digits in the summer, so I'm used to it all. However, I really just have become annoyed with the winter anymore despite loving it as a kid (and I was a meteorology major so that made me like it too). However, constant 50s-60s doesn't do much for me either I guess.

I'll probably end up going no where. I just wish a place existed where the weather was nice most of the year, the salt-water fishing was good, the Atlantic City type area not too far from home, where hockey and soccer was really popular, the IT field career advancement was limitless, etc. Just doesn't exist I guess anywhere, but I'd like to give somewhere a shot for a year while I'm young and single.

We're not the nicest people in New Jersey I've been told. I live in a middle-class suburban area. The lakes, woods, etc are there. I live near the Delaware River (although it's relatively gross now). I think I'm just really attracted toward hipster girls since I dated one (hipster guys are annoying).

Old 10-07-2013, 07:12 PM

99 posts, read 126,275 times
Seattle is a different story......

Old 10-07-2013, 07:30 PM

So here is pictures I have off Southern NJ towards the coast, Southern NJ towards where I live, and Northern NJ where I went to school for a little, to show you what I like here and if I can get that over there...

pickerel fishing in Mullica Hill

Crabbing in Heislerville

Red Bull Arena - Harrison NJ

New Jersey Devils Eastern Conference Championship - Newark NJ

Soccer in Gloucester County

Fishing the Delaware River

Fishing somewhere

Downtown Newark on a snowy night

Snow outside my house

Mystic Island NJ - Mystic Bay fishing

And of course I like to DRIVE and not bike around, so what's the traffic like?

Old 10-07-2013, 07:32 PM

So these pictures mean something to me. It's what I live to do here in NJ. And if Portland's not going to offer these things, then I might as well forget it. And some of you might think they all look like hell anyways but I enjoy it, I just want to enjoy it somewhere else now!

Old 10-07-2013, 08:53 PM

46,055 posts, read 28,000,817 times
Honestly, you might like Chicago more than you would Portland. But the best advice I can give is take a two week trip there in like March or something where you get the full effect of living in Portland and then make a decision.

Also, the Portland Wintethawks are minor league hockey but they are a lot of fun to watch. And of course the fan support with the Timbers would put the Red Bulls to shame (no offense, I just really love the Timbers.) But seriously, you have not seen an MLS game until you have seen one from inside Jeld-Wen stadium.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:04 PM

I don't think Chicago will do it for me. I need a place with suburbs and wilderness but close to a city. I live 20 minutes from Philadelphia, an hour from the Jersey shore, and an hour and a half from Newark, NJ. So I'm in striking distance of a lot of different places.

I'm well aware of the Winterhawks though. I used to go to ECHL games when we had a team, there's no AHL team in the area either here. And the fan support for RBNY can be tremendous. I do watch Timbers and Seattle home games since they have good atmospheres. The thing with RBNY (and all NY Metro area teams) are that what you get in terms of fan support varies. I sit in the supporter section and the game was sold out this past weekend with 25k there, and it was great. And yet other times only 12k show up and it's quite dull.

For me to move to the NW this would need to be the case:

#1 Job outlook for the Information Technology field. It should be great regardless of where you go, I can only assume it's fine in that area.

#2 Outdoor activities like fishing, soccer, etc are easy to do and there are areas for it

#3 There is some sort of night life

#4 Friendly people

Weather is the biggest thing for me though which would stop me. I live for NJ weather from mid spring to early fall. Hands down it has to be the best out there as long as you can deal with some days with high 90s.

I do wish to take a vacation in 2014 to Portland. I'd also like to visit South Carolina and New Orleans area as well.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:13 PM

1,610 posts, read 2,905,367 times
Hi, live in both South Jersey and Portland. To compare, the fishing is MUCH better in the PNW. Soccer is a lot more important in Portland. There is hockey, just not NHL which can be great. Remember when the Phantoms were in Philly and practiced at the skate zone in voorhees? Those games were awesome because the refs lets them fight longer .

Traffic is not that bad. The 205 is like 76 into Jersey but everyone is much more courteous. If you need to merge, someone always lets you in. But there is traffic. Especially from the city to suburbs like Beaverton. But the MAX train is awesome. Much better than NJ transit in South Jersey or SEPTA.

IT jobs are out there but they are on the lower end of the salary range. You really need to know your stuff to beat out the other guys. There seems to be less need for hardware monkeys and more need for good code monkeys.

No snow and you have to get used to doing things in the rain. Not really down pours, just constant spitting.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:17 PM

46,055 posts, read 28,000,817 times
I don't know much about the IT field in Portland, but I do know there is plenty of fishing and outdoor activities, there is a reason why REI is big there. The nightlife is good if you are into pubs, dive bars, and strip clubs that act more like friendly neighborhood bars. And depending on your personality, the people of Portland and Oregon are friendly. Though they also take their customer service seriously and expect people in those fields to be friendly and helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland