Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2013, 08:46 PM

777 posts, read 1,336,769 times

Advertisements

We moved to Lake Oswego a week ago from the Phoenix, AZ area, where are indoor, basic, RCA, "bunny eared" antenna worked great at picking up 10+ broadcast channels. Here, in LO, in the mountains, nothing. Even bought a $45 one from Target to try and all it picked up three channels that were like PBS. So I returned the antenna.

So, my question is, does anyone in the Lake Oswego or mountainey areas with trees blocking all views, have a working indoor antenna that picks up the basic broadcast channels?

I have done tons of research and found that the signal stations are only 6 miles away, and most face north. With FOX supposedly meant to be the toughest to reach from my location. I read that a multidimensional indoor antenna would possibly work, but I'd have to buy it online and potentially waste shipping chargers. Also, our living room windows face SE, making it more complicated, I suppose.

So, anyone successfully found one that works?

Note: I looked and considered Comcast's basic channels for $12.60ish/mth, but they on top of the solo internet deal I already signed with them, they wanna charge me waaaay more than I care to pay for. Unless you know other cheap alternatives, I'm all eyes. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 09:01 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
BTW Lake Oswego is not considered "in the mountains" or even a mountain area by a long shot. Those are mere hills not even worth mentioning.

Is there a reason you need to go with an indoor antenna vs an outdoor one? By adding in the wall, you're likely going to have a problem no matter what. Without looking at your situation personally, I doubt a multidimensional indoor antenna is going to work for you. If you can get it outside, you'll have much better luck.

The second part of your problem is with everyone going to Cable there is no reason to keep up those old broadcasting towers - especially now that they're also broadcasting on a thinner band with digital channels then they did years ago.

Your best bet is to find a powered antenna that also boosts the signal it's receiving. I have no experience in TV signals, but the principal is the same with Wi-Fi, so an antenna like this one at MonoPrice might work for you.

The other suggestion, since you have Internet, is to go with Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix, or Comcast's Streaming TV options.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:09 PM

777 posts, read 1,336,769 times
Indoor because we're in an apartment complex and am not sure we wanna go through mounting one on our patio.

We do use hulu and netflix and other streaming options, but it'd still be nice to watch my shows the night they air instead of waiting the following morning when they're online.

I'll research the monoPrice and see about it.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:26 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
Most all radio frequency is line of sight , the higher you put the antenna the better .
Many good antenna are beam type which mean they act like a flashlight in reverse.
If you are in a particularly bad location you may need elevation.
Especially need to either mount it on our roof or on a tower with a rotator for more precise aim. these are not cheap.
If there are enough stations you really care about having access , I would seriously look into that before making that kind of investment. Satellite might be the better investment if you don't plan on living there indefinitely.
Who knows how long open transmission TV will continue ,there are on or two stations here, but I don't watch
TV any way .

Old 10-10-2013, 10:37 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
I live in SE Portland nowhere near LKO and use an indoor antenna. No cable. I frequently have to move my antenna around but when it works I get crystal clear reception. I also have an analog TV with a digital converter box. It's enough for me. The antenna is weather sensitive, the mountains have nothing to do with reception.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:45 PM

42 posts, read 80,751 times
I live in Mt. Park in Lake Oswego and we get one over the air channel. That is 49 KPDX I think it is. That is it. We are at the base of the mountain (yes there are mountains in Lake O) and reception sucks for both TV and FM radio. I don't watch much TV but it is frustrating. I just get lots of DVD's from the library and call it good. Works out well because most of the crap on TV now days makes me feel like showering afterwards. Just crap.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:12 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,047 times
I have one of those flat antennas (Mohu Leaf). I'm in the Westlake area of LO. I'm in a middle room, one window facing east. Antenna is up high on the wall about 3 feet from the window, but not on the window (can't reach, so not sure if I'd pick up more or it wouldn't matter). There are some huge pine trees directly outside of my apt and lots of trees overall. Not so hilly on this end though. All the channels are digital and the regular network ones are very clear.

I pick up the following (I have no clue what channels they are, I figure you can find that info yourself):
8 (1-3)
10 (1-3)
24 (1-5, but 3-5 work the best)
32 (1-3)

For some reason, I catch 5 also, but it's not digital and it's snowy anyways. Can't see a thing.

Last edited by psichick; 10-11-2013 at 02:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland