U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 12:44 PM

1,608 posts, read 2,822,421 times

Advertisements

Thanks EnricoV. It's good to have some facts to go off of before this thread turns ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 12:55 PM

20,527 posts, read 21,768,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
Service dogs don't have to wear a vest or any other identification which can be problematic in terms of identifying legitimate dogs. The only dogs I've seen in the green vests are guide dog puppies in training and autism service dogs in training, but that's due to the protocol of the local training agencies.
You are correct, the coats are not green, they are red for helper dogs. These do not have to be in carriers.

US Dog Registry

Old 10-16-2013, 01:15 PM

192 posts, read 362,336 times
Service dog vests/coats are available for purchase online, so one cannot assume that every dog wearing one is legit. Legit service dogs are not required to wear one, either.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderbygrace View Post
I was in Pacific City over Labor Day at the coffee shop opposite The Pelican. As I was inside, an elderly couple came in looking for the owner of a dog that was tied up directly outside the entrance. The dog had bitten the lady as she walked in, and the owner said, "my dog never bites, I just don't understand why she would bite you". Well, the fact is that the dog DID bite the lady and likely unprovoked, so it does happen. And that's why so many, including myself, are a bit uncomfortable with having dogs w/I attacking range, because some dogs CAN be unpredictable. As a dog owner myself, I would NEVER take my dog on public transportation w/o being crated. And since my dog is 50lbs, crating isn't really an option on public transport, therefore we drive her where she needs to be taken.
I think people forget that dogs are pack animals. They are loyal to their packs, i.e. families and wouldn't hurt their pack/family members but outsiders are outsiders. I once was simply walking toward a man walking his dog. I did nothing aggressive but the dog nipped at me as we passed one another. The man was horrified. The dog got my pants but fortunately didn't get my leg. It was leashed do it's not like any laws were broken but I did suggest the man muzzle the mutt next time he took him out. He assured me the dog had never, ever done this before. Small comfort.

The dog was just a medium size mutt. No pit bull, not particular breed. Maybe he was just being playful who knows?

Animals are unpredictable. They think bite first and ask questions later. They bite when they are frightened, excited, hurt, annoyed or for a million other reasons. It's often a form of expression for them as well as aggression. I used to have a cat who would bite in play. No hard feelings. Saying your animal "never bites" doesn't mean it never will.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:52 PM

6,415 posts, read 9,827,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
Thanks EnricoV. It's good to have some facts to go off of before this thread turns ugly.
Yeah. I'm sure, though, that the statistics get skewed by the number of people who own those breeds of dogs and train them to attack. But even so, different ones have been bred to encourage certin characteristics, that even if it's not a part of their everyday lives, the instinct is still there. And unfortunately, some of them were bred for guarding and fighting.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:14 PM

20,095 posts, read 24,124,477 times
If it is on the bus, I am going to assume that it is a service animal and not complain, as long as the dog is behaving itself.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If it is on the bus, I am going to assume that it is a service animal and not complain, as long as the dog is behaving itself.
You don't take the bus very often do you?

Old 10-16-2013, 05:35 PM

14,998 posts, read 16,617,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
You don't take the bus very often do you?
I used to be a bus driver when I was in college. "Step all the way to the rear, folks. DOn't SHove"......

Old 10-16-2013, 07:45 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,689,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Too many people think that because they love their dogs, everyone else will (or should), too. There are just so many thoughtless dog owners. One of my pet peeves is approaching a store where a dog is tied up at the door, and you can't get in (or out) the door without being within the dog's reach. I don't know your dog. I don't know it's not going to bite. And there are too many people out there (I'm not one of them ... I actually like dogs) who are afraid of dogs. And a lot of them are small children. How thoughtless of the dog owner to subject others to that.

A bus? It's even worse. It's a confined area with (often) people packed closely in. The breed of the dog is immaterial. But bigger, more aggressive looking dogs (yes, I know it's perception ... the little yappy dogs are often worse) ... that's even worse.

DogBites.org
I agree with all of what you're saying, however, I'm not saying dogs don't bite, but here's the problem with the link you posted. I wanted to do a quick search on it and the first two words following that came up behind it was "exposed" and "lies". That leads me to believe that the site is untrustworthy. Doing a bit more digging and I definitely wouldn't trust anything on that site.

It also led to this link, which basically showed the owner of the site, lying about her attack by a pit bull (not that it didn't happen, just that she started lying about how it happened).

It's great you're going to post links and stats, but at least post ones that if searched, don't have "lies" and "exposed" behind it immediately. I always check where things came from. This study (if you can call it that) was "Compiled by the editor of ANIMAL PEOPLE from press accounts since 1982". Um, so basically the numbers are showing what is press worthy? Sorry, that's not a study at all!!! Those stats are so skewed. I mean, seriously, if we looked at the press for stats, then every stereotype would be proven.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:58 PM

6,468 posts, read 10,920,689 times
Since it was a pit bull, and trimet, I'm willing to bet it was one the street kids. I know, I know... I'm sterotyping... but...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or