Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2013, 01:51 PM

240 posts, read 481,922 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I thought I'd throw this out here, as I'm trying to leave no stone unturned. My current lease will be up in February; I share a townhouse in SW Portland with my daughter, but she is getting married and I will be downsizing to a studio apartment. I can move in either January or February; preferably no later than the end of February. I am looking at inner SE/NE and also NW, so as to be closer to the activities in which I participate. I am on a budget, but do not qualify for income-restricted housing at this point. I'd like to rent a very small studio for me and my 9-year-old well-behaved Chihuahua for $750 a month; I am willing to go higher if some utilities are included. The apartment needs to be convenient to at least one good bus line (i.e., one that runs 7 days a week), as I don't own a car. I telecommute from home for my job, so my commute is not an issue. I have a perfect rental record and am clean, quiet, a nonsmoker, and, with all due modesty, would be an asset to any apartment community.

I realize apartment prices in this tight Portland market have really jumped in the past year or so; the rent for our townhouse has increased by more than $200 a month just in the 3+ years we've been living here. I can go higher on the rent, but don't want to end up "apartment-poor." I am ready to jump on a good bargain when it comes along.

All that said, if you know of a studio coming available in January or February, please let me know. I scour Craigslist daily, follow many property management websites, implore everyone I know to let me know about upcoming vacancies, so just wanted to utilize this possible resource as well.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 02:45 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,105,949 times
It's a little far out for looking at actual availabilities at the moment.

One of the management companies that has quite a few older "classic" apartments around town is KBC. You might keep an eye on their website.

Another is Capital Property Management. Theirs seem to be a bit less expensive than KBC.

Circum Pacific Properties has quite a few properties, but only one current vacancy.

And then there's just PadMapper for aggregated listings, where you can limit the price range and see what's listed.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:59 PM

Yes, it is early; Thank you for the suggestions; I'm also looking at Round Hill Pacific, as they have vintage buildings in NW and all are dog-friendly. When the time gets much closer I'll be renting the Zipcar and driving around my desired areas looking for "For Rent" signs, too.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:04 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,613,044 times
Some of the income restricted apartments go up to 80% of the median income. I don't know if that helps you (since most are 60% and you said you don't qualify for that).

Old 10-19-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
Some of the income restricted apartments go up to 80% of the median income. I don't know if that helps you (since most are 60% and you said you don't qualify for that).
That's true, I'll have to look into that too, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: