Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 05:20 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,342,398 times

Advertisements

This thread has gone wildly off topic. Mods, where are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 06:20 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,624,485 times
Nothing got deleted. Both of your comments are still there, and neither comment had anything to say about apartment vacancies. What do you want? An economic analysis?

What do you expect in an area with a growing population when you shut down all building contractors for 4 years? Banks are not big on construction loans when they are struggling to not go bankrupt, like Washington Mutual.

What do you expect when speculators can't walk in with nothing down to buy a house they can't afford, just to flip it for a big profit a year later? Now they have a foreclosure on their record, and the referee threw them out of the game.

Just go buy a house, at outstandingly low interest rates. Renting is stupid. The price of rentals will just keep going up, much faster than the inflation rate, until people decide they don't want to live here and move to Texas instead.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:29 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,342,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Nothing got deleted. Both of your comments are still there, and neither comment had anything to say about apartment vacancies. What do you want? An economic analysis?

What do you expect in an area with a growing population when you shut down all building contractors for 4 years? Banks are not big on construction loans when they are struggling to not go bankrupt, like Washington Mutual.

What do you expect when speculators can't walk in with nothing down to buy a house they can't afford, just to flip it for a big profit a year later? Now they have a foreclosure on their record, and the referee threw them out of the game.

Just go buy a house, at outstandingly low interest rates. Renting is stupid. The price of rentals will just keep going up, much faster than the inflation rate, until people decide they don't want to live here and move to Texas instead.
I don't want anything other than for the thread to stay on topic. It's amazing to me that you read so much into it and made such ridiculous assumptions about me based on my post. For the record, I have owned my own home since 1992. I just know some people who are renters, thus my interest. I think I smell some anger issues from certain posters.

Last edited by sayulita; 10-20-2013 at 06:41 PM..

Old 10-20-2013, 08:12 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,097,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
This thread has gone wildly off topic. Mods, where are you?
I have to agree, the sidewalk issue is an interesting one, but it really deserves its own thread to talk specifically about the issue.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:35 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,612,650 times
Yeah, my purpose in creating this thread was for newbies to town to see what they are up against. There is so much competition for rentals in Portland, that people who expect to have an easy time renting (especially in popular areas) may be in for a rude awakening.

Be prepared to pay for credit checks.
Be prepared to be denied if your credit score is lacking.
Be prepared for no large pets, or even no pets at all.

Most of all, be prepared that the rental market in Portland may be nothing like where you came from.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
Yeah, my purpose in creating this thread was for newbies to town to see what they are up against. There is so much competition for rentals in Portland, that people who expect to have an easy time renting (especially in popular areas) may be in for a rude awakening.

Be prepared to pay for credit checks.
Be prepared to be denied if your credit score is lacking.
Be prepared for no large pets, or even no pets at all.

Most of all, be prepared that the rental market in Portland may be nothing like where you came from.
This is why I am happy to have friends and family in Portland to help us when we move back. Hopefully we come across a friend of a friend's that is willing to help us out with a place.

The smart move for any newbies would be to look on the outskirts of the metro first for a year before trying to move into the city.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:10 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,612,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The smart move for any newbies would be to look on the outskirts of the metro first for a year before trying to move into the city.
I think you're 100% right on this, urban. It may mean having to put up with a bad commute for several months or a year, but at least you'll be in Portland so you'll be better able to scout the area that you really want to live in (and can afford).

I think Minervah has indicated several times that sometime it takes boots on the ground to find the right rental. These are places that aren't in the paper or even on Craigslist. These are places where a sign goes up in a window and it's rented later that same day.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:49 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,410,280 times
Bike Portland posted this today.

"As California's tech boom spills into Portland, there's a growing fear among housing developers and advocates that the bad parts of the Bay — displaced cultures, closet-sized bedrooms and sprawling commutes for the many who can't afford to live near work — might be on the way, too."

Old 10-21-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
I think you're 100% right on this, urban. It may mean having to put up with a bad commute for several months or a year, but at least you'll be in Portland so you'll be better able to scout the area that you really want to live in (and can afford).

I think Minervah has indicated several times that sometime it takes boots on the ground to find the right rental. These are places that aren't in the paper or even on Craigslist. These are places where a sign goes up in a window and it's rented later that same day.
On a side note to the low vacancies, with the new light rail line, I could definitely see the Brooklyn neighborhood seeing a building boom in the coming years.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:50 AM

892 posts, read 1,588,758 times
I could see that too. The neighborhood already is pretty developed so there's restaurants, etc. The problem may be how to get properties rezoned from industrial. The new light rail line parallels the UP rail line so much of the corridor is industrial even if it's underused currently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland