Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 08:37 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,888,727 times

Advertisements

I have been super busy with school events and getting used to the darker days. I like to get my errands done in the daylight if I can. I have noticed most of the forums are a little light on conversation ths time of year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 09:17 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,403,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Once you are "the man", you are going to discover that those conservatives aren't as dumb as you thought.
Since it didn't happen the first two times, I doubt it'll happen the third time.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:22 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,892,176 times
Just an observation: working for "the man" is how most of the people who live in what are unarguably some of the best places on the planet earb their daily bread. Don't believe me? See for yourself. It isn't hard. Google up the per capita occurrences of individual entrepreneurship in a country like Denmark or Germany vs Somalia or Chechen. See where the U.S. falls along that continuum. I don't know... but is it possible that there is a connection between the American antipathy towards collective employment and the very lackluster ratings America has in global competitiveness? If it were merely a philosophical debate it would be one thing. As it happens, there is a real and significant downside to our dogged insistence on self-reliance.

H

Old 11-18-2013, 09:04 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,610,295 times
Ah, but collective employment in a place like Denmark or Germany is a different animal than in the US. Maybe we in the US (myself included, at times) wouldn't have the desire to tell our employers to "take this job and shove it!" if we had 6 weeks of vacation, paid maternity leave, fully paid health care, etc.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:11 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,892,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
Ah, but collective employment in a place like Denmark or Germany is a different animal than in the US. Maybe we in the US (myself included, at times) wouldn't have the desire to tell our employers to "take this job and shove it!" if we had 6 weeks of vacation, paid maternity leave, fully paid health care, etc.
Oh absolutely. No argument there, but... and I really don't get this, but in this very forum we have people who think that employee unions and pensions, health care, etc. are bad things, and that Oregon's bleeding heart liberal policies are ruinous in the extreme.

H

Old 11-18-2013, 12:17 PM

121 posts, read 162,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Glad to hear that Steve Pickering is just busy and that some of you actually like him. Was worried about his absence although figured he might be in process of moving to Arizona for the winter. Steve seems to annoy many people but I enjoy his perspectives, even if I disagree although I often find some truth in his views, and love the way he riles all the younger set up.
I agree with you

Old 11-18-2013, 01:33 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,498,044 times
I am back after an absence of about 6 weeks. Strangely the Forum software forgot about me and darned if I could remember my password on this site, guess I'd better refresh that.

Now to catch up with Portland & Oregon doings... the one thing that was on the US news in India was Oregon's loss to Stanford! Other than that little to no news about the US.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:39 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,521,322 times
It's all been done. There are never any new questions. Everything has been covered. You can only talk about the weather, restaurants and things to see so many times. We can only answer how terrible someones commute will be or how amazing Lake Oswego area is or how crappy Gresham is so many times. No to mention how much competition C-D has these days. Reddit is hopping, C-D is dying. Honestly, I just don't find it entertaining anymore. I don't know why, I just don't.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:21 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,495,278 times
Quote:
...Everything has been covered...
If only the important, profound words were spoken, the world would be filled with the sound of silence.

Having said that: on the Seattle forum there is business as usual: endless, mindless chatter about everything already said a 100x.
Portland, on the other hand, attracts the thinking crowd: people who know how to use the "search" function

Old 11-19-2013, 04:17 PM

206 posts, read 258,899 times
I think people post here less because anyone with something less than fantastic to say about Portland are labelled as trolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland