U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 10:14 AM

965 posts, read 1,651,436 times

Advertisements

As a liberal atheist vegetarian, I think I would feel quite at home in the Pacific Northwest. However, I have to take economic aspects into consideration, and I also don't know exactly WHERE would be the best place for me to move.

I currently live in Akron, Ohio (after two months in hell in South Carolina). My current rent is $915 a month (which does not include any utilities).

In looking at housing in the Portland area, it appears that rents in Vancouver are cheaper than in Portland proper, Hillsboro or Beaverton. Is this correct?

I believe that Vancouver is a bit more conservative than Portland (but probably no worse than Akron). It also appears to me that Washington state is a bit more liberal than Portland. They have passed same-sex marriage, are working on increasing the minimum wage, and, even though it sadly did not pass, have tried to pass GMO labeling laws. Are my conclusions correct?????

I'd really appreciate any input anyone has on where might be the best place for me to settle from someone with similar leanings as mine.

I've even considered Tacoma (Seattle, I believe, would be out of my price range), so I'm open to hearing about those areas as well, from anyone who has experience there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 11:08 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,640,793 times
You are waaaaayy tooooo hung up on certain issues.

If you think there is a nirvana out there without compromise, you will be sorely dissapointed.

There are people here who think just like you and people here who think 180 degrees opposite you. I am sure the same is true of Ohio and even SC.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:53 AM

6,415 posts, read 10,057,759 times
I wouldn't say that Washington is any more liberal than Oregon. The way I see it, the only reasons certain issues (marriage equality & marijuana legalization) haven't passed in Oregon was due to the way that the proposed laws were written ... not because people were against the issue.

People, and attitudes, in Oregon or in Washington are no different.

Yes, rents in Vancouver can be lower. As they can be in many other parts of the Portland metropolitan area. But let's be realistic about why. It's because those areas or those buildings are less desirable places in which to live.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:05 PM

892 posts, read 1,266,404 times
Since economics are an issue, what are you basing rent costs on? Do you have a fixed income that will remain the same regardless of where in the country you are living? Do you work for a company that allows you to transfer to different offices and has COL adjustments for those offices?

Living in Portland (or Seattle) is expensive. You can live outside of those cities for much less. Is it important to live in a city or do you want a more rural lifestyle? There's a lot of stuff left out of your post.

Vancouver is more suburban than Portland and is more conservative. But those characteristics also apply to places like Beaverton.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:24 PM

473 posts, read 698,561 times
Washington and Oregon are very similar politically- the large cities and college towns trend very liberal, but once you're out of the city limits, things get very conservative very quickly. I think that one of the reasons that WA has been a bit more progressive is that Seattle is larger than Portland.

As for Vancouver vs. Portland- where will you be working? That can make all the difference in deciding on where to move. You also should visit the cities before making a decision- Vancouver has a far different feel than Portland.

As a fellow liberal atheist vegetarian, you would indeed have plenty of company here- although Portland is obsessed with pork products

Old 11-15-2013, 04:56 PM

965 posts, read 1,651,436 times
Thanks to crisw, SETabor, and EnricoV for your civil responses. Your input is appreciated.

I am retired, and while I can adjust my income somewhat, I have to budget my funds. As I said, I now pay $915 a month in rent (for a two bedroom apartment). From what I can tell, I would be well over $1,000 a month for a 1-bedroom apartment in Portland, as well as Hillsboro and Beaverton.

I enjoy being near activity, and don't want to be too rural.....though I don't mind suburban living if that's what it comes down.

I have visited the area, and I realize that Vancouver is a lot different in terms of activity than Portland.....in other words, there isn't near as much going on. I guess I'm wondering if the lower rents are because of that, or because it is less desirable in terms of crime and an undesirable element.

If all of you don't mind me asking, where do you live? How do you like where you live, both socially and economically.

crisw.....I'm glad to see that you have similar values. I had to laugh at your "pork" comment.....any idea why that is true?

Old 11-15-2013, 06:20 PM

473 posts, read 698,561 times
I live in Jennings Lodge, a suburb between Milwaukie and Oregon City, in Clackamas County. Clackamas is a huge county that is a microcosm of the state; the main cities are pretty liberal; the large rural area is extremely conservative (and then you have Lake Oswego, which is a world unto itself...) Much more affordable than Portland itself, but very close by.

As for the pork- Portland is a foodie town, and pork is the craze of the time. Not sure exactly why, other than people like their bacon here...

Old 11-15-2013, 07:00 PM

2,428 posts, read 4,077,502 times
It's not just Portland. I've seen ads for t-shirts that say, "Either you like bacon or you're wrong".

Old 11-15-2013, 07:47 PM

6,415 posts, read 10,057,759 times
I live in the inner SE (but grew up in Milwaukie). Finding a 2-bedroom for $910 or less in the inner area, just isn't going to be done. But if you move just a bit further out, you'd have lots of choice. Checking out a site like Padmapper, I put in a top price of $910 with a minimum of 2 bedrooms, and there are tons of hits. All over town. But I agree with ChrisW ... I always recommend moving over the line into Clackamas County. It is less expensive. And feels closer to being "in" Portland, to me. But then, that might just be because of greater familiarity with it.

Personally, I wouldn't choose Vancouver. Given the vegetarian parameter, it's going to limit your choices of, say, places to dine out. And while, yes, pork products are big here (and everywhere), most places will always have vegetarian options. And I speak from personal experience.

I have family who live in Vancouver. It's much more suburban. And there's probably a bit of built-in prejudice, though I'm sure it's changed in large part, but we all used to joke that if someone was going to run into your car, you could count on them being from Vancouver, and not having insurance. If I were to live in Vancouver, I'd want to live on the far outskirts of the town. Almost in rural areas. Which negates living in Portland.

As to one of your other questions ... I quite like Tacoma, though I'd avoid the southern side, where the military bases are. Olympia is a nice town, too. Though smaller. I have no idea about the vegetarian/athiest aspect of either town.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:26 PM

241 posts, read 403,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
If all of you don't mind me asking, where do you live? How do you like where you live, both socially and economically.
I live in the Multnomah Village/Hillsdale area in SW Portland. It's very nice in many ways, hilly, low crime, quiet, very pretty. But it doesn't suit the life I want to lead. I moved here because it was the only place that would accept my family and I with several pets in tow, but soon it will be just me and one pet, and I am planning to move to either inner SE or NE (preferably SE), as the activities I want to be involved in regularly (my writing group, other literary groups, making music with others, etc.) are more prevalent on the east side. Without a car, it takes too long on the bus for me to participate on a regular basis. Also, although Hillsdale in particular is doing a better job of providing vegetarian/vegan options, as a vegan it's a lot easier to find veg-friendly restaurants on the east side.

Living in "close-in" Portland is more expensive, but as you get out from town, you might as well live in suburbia anywhere. Vancouver was not a consideration for me; too conservative, too far from anything I wanted to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland